Over 1,800 Gaming Professionals Condemn Hate Speech in Open Letter

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Over 1,800 Gaming Professionals Condemn Hate Speech in Open Letter

Andreas Zecher of Spaces of Play kicked it off, but you'll probably recognize one or two other names on his list.

On September 1st, Andreas Zecher of enough was enough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103621-TGS-10-Spirits-Enchants-at-Sense-of-Wonder], and posted an open letter to the gaming community up on Medium. He invited those who wanted to sign it to Tweet him their details, and as of time of writing he has 1,837 people on his list, from companies like Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Sony, Double Fine, BioWare, Rovio, CD Projekt RED, Telltale Games, Mojang, as well as a ton of independents and academics.

The full text of the letter is as follows:

We believe that everyone, no matter what gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religion has the right to play games, criticize games and make games without getting harassed or threatened. It is the diversity of our community that allows games to flourish.

If you see threats of violence or harm in comments on Steam, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook or reddit, please take a minute to report them on the respective sites.

If you see hateful, harassing speech, take a public stand against it and make the gaming community a more enjoyable space to be in.

Thank you

It's gaining signatures rapidly, at one point adding 3 to 5 signatures a minute. Just a few hours ago it was at having trouble keeping up [https://twitter.com/andreaszecher/status/506683528533512192].

Source: Open Letter [https://medium.com/@andreaszecher/open-letter-to-the-gaming-community-df4511032e8a]

licktheenvelope

Aug 20, 2014
Ugh... i'm glad the devs are paying attention but seriously they need to get the press to call off the social extremists.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Meanwhile, the trolls are furiously masturbating at all the attention they've received, and the games media and game devs alike get to have a guilt-free self-congratulatory wank over how they sure set those nasty gamers on the straight and narrow with the power of their self-righteous indignation.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
licktheenvelope said:
Ugh... i'm glad the devs are paying attention but seriously they need to get the press to call off the social extremists.
Social extremists? The statement says "Diversity is good, please report harassment when you see it, make online communities a more fun place to be." What is so extreme about that?

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
We believe that everyone, no matter what gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religion has the right to play games, criticize games and make games without getting harassed or threatened. It is the diversity of our community that allows games to flourish.
We agree. Hence the term "gamer", which is all-inclusive.

If you see threats of violence or harm in comments on Steam, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook or reddit, please take a minute to report them on the respective sites.

If you see hateful, harassing speech, take a public stand against it and make the gaming community a more enjoyable space to be in.
It's exactly what we're doing, hence #GamerGate, contacting advertisers etc.

Thank you
Why, you're very welcome person I've never heard of before and never want to hear of or from ever again!

Something tells me we're not talking about the same thing, are we? I'll just leave the respective gamer petition here for those interested (since it's not included in the piece-- consider including it in the piece):

http://www.change.org/p/the-gaming-industry-please-stop-the-hate?recruiter=147447955&utm_campaign=twitter_link&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Great...a bit vaguely worded and actions speak louder than words, but it's a start, I suppose.

Now can we PLEASE focus on what should have been the focal point all along: investigating recent allegations of corruption and conflicts of interest in games journalism?

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Ronack said:
You're missing a part of the story there, Bub. There's already a petition out there that asks for All harassment to be reported and for journalists and devs to stop being ginormous [Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep]. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.859585-Over-1-800-Gaming-Professionals-Condemn-Hate-Speech-in-Open-Letter

Anyways, as for this: I've said it once, and I'll say it again ... that open letter is like the GOP calling out to end corruption in politics ... It's a good cause, but for all the wrong reasons and from all the wrong people.
You linked this same article...

OT: A genuinely good set of ideals, though I do hope these people realize they are part of the community they are writing to.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Rocket Girl said:
Stewie Plisken said:
Just to pull you up there - the term gamer isn't inclusive or exclusive. No more than, say, police officer or student. There was a time when women couldn't be police officers and African American's couldn't attend schools (I can provide sources if you would like them). So the terms police officer and student weren't inclusive and the terms themselves didn't mean "no blacks" or "no women" but none the less, people were excluded. See, it's not the title that is inclusive or exclusive, it's the community and the culture.
This does not reflect my personal experience with the term "gamer" and the community that uses it. But I do get where you're coming from; the point is that it's a term that applies to anyone that plays games regardless of gender, sex, race, political affiliation etc. and the recent consistent efforts to tear it down are not helping anyone and especially the plead of those developers.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Rocket Girl said:
Stewie Plisken said:
Just to pull you up there - the term gamer isn't inclusive or exclusive. No more than, say, police officer or student. There was a time when women couldn't be police officers and African American's couldn't attend schools (I can provide sources if you would like them). So the terms police officer and student weren't inclusive and the terms themselves didn't mean "no blacks" or "no women" but none the less, people were excluded. See, it's not the title that is inclusive or exclusive, it's the community and the culture.
"Person" isn't all-inclusive today depending on which individual or group of people you wish to have define it. What's your point? Because it seems like you're being flippant for the sake of being flippant.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I agree, the amount of hatred about gaming is awful. Just look at these Twitter responses:

Devin Faraci - (Badass Digest)

KT Hache - (self proclaimed Social Justice Warrior)

K. Thor Jensen - (Videogames Journalist)

Adam Sessler - (Videogames Journalist)

Helena Horten - (Videogames Journalist for Vice)

Joel Golby (Videogames Journalist - Vice)

But gamers are of course the toxic culture.

VioletHero

Sep 2, 2014
Seriously?

I agree that harassment isn't okay but it is obvious you guys are using it to obfuscate the corrupt nature of games journalism.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Being undecided about my company/university name, I quickly deleted my first tweet and made another one.

Ended up on the list twice, anyways.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Let's clear something up right from the outset:

Is this call for civility and restraint going to apply equally to both sides here, or is it just going to demonise and muzzle anybody who dares speak out in criticism of the shouty, accusatory, progressive hegemony?

For example, under this pleasant gentleman's gentleperson's agreement, will baseless and potentially career-damaging accusations of misogyny, bigotry and whatever-phobia be discouraged?