Over-hyped video games

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Double A said:
Mechanix said:
Double A said:
Empire: Total War. Biggest disappointment I've ever had, gaming-wise.
This, times 10000000000.
I'll be honest.

E:TW is the biggest, over-hyped piece-of-shit game I've ever played, and I've played Halo Wars.

Whoever's arsechild ETW is should be flogged and given to the Iranians as nuclear coolant.

I still can't believe my first impressions: "Oh cool Indians!" I say as I start up the US campaign. "Jamestown's one of my favorite historical places!" Then I proceed to lag through it. "Screw this I'd better turn the graphics down to low!" "Hmm every single person looks like dogshit... medium?" Well believe it or not medium worked, and until the part after Bunker Hill I was happy due to the new game smell, even though I had it since it came out I had just been able to download Steam due to my gaming PC having no Internet connection. Anyway, I had build up a sizeable navy, and had even captured a 4th rate and another 5th rate! So then I send my lovely navy of 10 ships at the british navy off Maryland's coast, which consisted of a Third Rate which scared the bejezus outta me, 2 6ers, and the other 8 were damaged brigs. The first time I sink most of the brigs, lose several of mine, and capture all the rest. Then my computer not only crashes, but entirely restarts. It was 1 step away from the Blue Screen of Death. Then an hour later after I recover from my anger and convulsions, I try it again. I get even better results, sinking only 2 brigs and losing 1 of mine! Then the unbelieveable happens: my PC crashes again. Finally, after my multiple strokes, I try the battle a final time. Unbelievable! I don't lose a single ship and capture all of theirs. BUT THEN MY COMPUTER RESTARTS AGAIN! FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN I SAY!

A week later I start up a Marathras campaign, and the new game fun comes back. Eventually I think "maybe my computer was just acting weird that day..." and try the naval battle again. Lose a ship or 2, sink some of theirs, but nonetheless a good performance. Then, when the loading screen is seconds from... loading... it crashed again!!!

Another day or so later, I pick up my Marathras campaign. Then IT starts to crash. "You know what, CA? Fuck your half-assed game and fuck your new attitude to your fanbase. If anyone needs me I'll be playing Rome."
My thoughts exactly man, couldn't run the damn game no matter what I did. Shame, it had potential, it really did.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
D-Mic said:
In sort of a reverse example, Fallout 2. I got into the series with 3, and decided to check the others out because I'd heard great things about them. I loved 1, but 2 didn't click with me like the others did for a few reasons, but mostly because it was unreasonably hard.
I agree with this guy, Fallout 1 and 2 have horrible controls, I couldn't even figure it out but I DO enjoy the stories and the characters

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Skullkid4187 said:
Bioshock, Modern Warfare, Mass Effect, Halo 2, Halo 1, Halo Wars, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2, Wii Version of Twilight Princess(Gamecube version blows it away COMPLETELY) Super SMash bros brawl... and many others.
I'm not trying to be flaming or anything (or whatever the hell they call it) but what was so bad about the Wii version? I myself never played it but I had the Gamecube version, so yeah Im just wondering what was so bad but to me the most overhyped game is Fable 2 although the only guy who was hyped for it really was Peter

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
feather240 said:
Anticitizen_Two said:
Obviously, any game in the Halo/Call of Duty series
Left 4 Dead 2 (first one was soooooooooo much better)
Wait, do you mean the characters? I don't really see how it goes down in gameplay or the background story.
Yes, the characters are part of it, but I prefer L4D to L4D2 because of better atmosphere and a greater feel of simplicity. I felt the new weapons/items to be unneeded. I don't know, this is probably just me, but Valve really let me down with L4D2.

ECasThat

Nov 14, 2009
I'm gonna place myself on a land mine and say (pleas don't hate me) Half-life 2 ep 3 is going too be THE most OVER-HYPED game! EVER!

Bonkekook

Nov 5, 2008
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Modern Warfare games

And whoever said the OoT is overhyped for being the best game ever. The phrase "best game ever" is relative. There's never going to be a concrete definition for the best game ever because standards are always changing.

Especially with today's over-caffeinated gaming population. What's fun one year is out of date the next. Most gamers nowadays will never play OoT just because it looks worse than everything else.

As someone who played that game when it came out, though, it changed how I looked at gaming, along with Mario 64.

No game since has had that great an impact on my views. And that's why "best game ever" is relative. Everyone has something that makes them tick. And its not going to be the same for everyone.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Ryuzaki001 said:
Final Fantasy 7...I am sorry, but as a die hard Final Fantasy fan and hearing that it was the best one of all time I was severely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it was not the best one of all time. (That award goes to 9)
To be fair, I think it was the fact that the graphics and atmosphere were amazing for the time, and it had such shocking moments like you know who dying, and meteor. Not to mention, it was the first JRPG most pepole played, so that resulted in a lot of nostalgia.

Overhyped? Halo in general (and CODMWF to a lesser extent). People should not get so exited over a series which seems to suck originality out of a once quirky and unpredictable genere.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I was expecting so much more from Portal. I found it astonishingly easy, really not very funny and very short. The song was pretty much the only part I liked about it.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was basically the first game, except ridiculuosly linear. It makes you follow waypoints like a trail of breadcrumbs.

edit: I may have got over-rated mixed with over-hyped, so I'm not sure if my Portal example applies.

MasterKirov

Nov 8, 2009
Overhype...In truth, any game anyone has heard of on the mainstream market. The particully guilty ones* are below:

- The C&C franchise devolved into this when EA got their hands on it. EA go all out marketing the game. What they don't do though is properly fix the bugs and balance the units correctly.

- Starcraft. I've played Starcraft Multiplayer. It takes forever to train one guy (that is, build speed, not resource gathering, although this may be an issue for newer players), the online games are over in seconds (especially if they're playing Zerg) and The Computer is a Cheating Bastard. Did we also mention the fact that it's very unfriendly to new players, Online especially?

- Any First Person Shooter on the modern market you or I can think of. Halo. Call of Duty. Left 4 Dead (especially L4D2). Even the mods like Counter Strike - while not marketed in the same manner of the above - have such a fanbase following it makes you question why sometimes.

- Portal. The game is incredibly frustrating, and some of the puzzles are deviously designed. Points maybe, but the only thing good about this game is the catchy song in the credits. Also, anyone who said they finished it in 2 hours or so must be related to the same breed of people who can solve a Rubics Cube in 7 minuites.

- Many, many MMO's - especially World of Warcraft and Aion Online.

- Relating to the above C&C statement, some of the Mods, like RA3 Paradox and ShockWave, fall into this, although Your Mileage May Vary. RA3 Paradox of especial note has a generally negative view from Red Alert 3 fans, but is also one of the few RA3 mods still being worked on.

- Video Game tie ins to anything ever.

*This is pure opinion, fanboys! I'd rather not have my residence burned down because I insulted Starcraft! Thank you!

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
Most games don't live up to their hypes, but usually that doesn't really matter and they're good anyway.

I have two very good exceptions to this.

First, Spore. I don't think there has ever been a game that was so... Disappointing. Sure, the creators were very intuitive and fun, and you can create awesome things in the game. Playing God has never been so easy. But the actual gameplay part of the game, the five stages of evolution, were incredibly shallow and dumbed down. Many people were very disappointed with Spore's gameplay.

On the other side of the spectrum is Portal. I highly anticipated this game, and it did not disappoint me even a single iota. It was exactly what I expected; it was even more, for I didn't expect the pitch-black humour that accompanies the game, and the incredible atmosphere that soon evolves from feeling like a testing environment to some sort of abandoned, sterile cage made of concrete and brown metal where you got caught in. It's still the same environment, but you start to experience it differently the more you find out.

The first 'Behind The Scenes'-part in the Android test chamber is very unsettling.

DocBot

The Prettiest Girl
Dec 30, 2009
Assassins Creed was SUCH a disappointing game. It was supposed to be this free roaming interactive city-crawling bonanza. And, after the cool, "Hey this place is big and I can explorable and there's alot of people here!" You realize you still have to pickpocket a guys. Listen in on someone's conversation. And, there was a third one that you think I'd remember but now...I can't. That game and I wasn't that big on is Uncharted that everyone loved. Although that's my own fault for know it's a cover-based-shooter in the same general vein as Gears of War in core gameplay, I stupidly bought it anyways.