Over-hyped video games

Ryuzaki001

Nov 10, 2009
Altorin said:
Ryuzaki001 said:
Final Fantasy 7...I am sorry, but as a die hard Final Fantasy fan and hearing that it was the best one of all time I was severely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it was not the best one of all time. (That award goes to 9)
pretty much read what I said to Onyx about Ocarina of time.. don't feel like reiterating myself.

out of curiosity, when did you start playing final fantasy games?
I would definitely agree with all you said.
As for when I started playing FF, it has not been that long. When the remake of 3 came out for the DS, I got it as a gift and really liked it so I decided to see what this whole Final Fantasy thing was about. Shortly after, I got 12 followed by 10 then went old school with the GBA remakes of 1, 2, and 4. I just couldn't stop. Finally got my hands on 7, 8, and 9 and...yeah...that's my FF history...the abridged version.

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
s69-5 said:
Pretty much anything made by Valve or Bioware.
Especially DA:O... hype was so undeserved for that generic game.
Mostly this, but i really liked KOTOR. DA:O? it was lacking... something

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Altorin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

Finally played in in December...WTF?! This is THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME?

Wow...umm...Nostalgia is powerful. It's just like every other Zelda.
Are you serial or just mildly trolling?

Come on man, you can work this out. You can do it!
100% Cereal.
Nostalgia is a funny thing, but you're looking at it with anti-nostalgia. You're seeing it as derivative of games that came after it. Ocarina took the zelda model and gave it a scale that was unseen prior to ocarina. I'm not even a raving Ocarina fanboy and I can tell you that. I was there when it first came out, it was a pretty huge thing. It may not stand up to today's standards, but it still ages better then almost any other N64 game.
Pokemon gets hammered down my throat constantly. they (room mates) told me it was better before... turns out it was the same game, i actually belie the newer games are better because of small tweaks. but even so they are all carbon copies with small adjustments. cant belive people still buy this shit. 20 year old people...

same it is with the Zelda series. i know its a good formula but come on!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ryuzaki001 said:
Altorin said:
Ryuzaki001 said:
Final Fantasy 7...I am sorry, but as a die hard Final Fantasy fan and hearing that it was the best one of all time I was severely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it was not the best one of all time. (That award goes to 9)
pretty much read what I said to Onyx about Ocarina of time.. don't feel like reiterating myself.

As for when I started playing FF, it has not been that long. When the remake of 3 came out for the DS, I got it as a gift and really liked it so I decided to see what this whole Final Fantasy thing was about. Shortly after, I got 12 followed by 10 then went old school with the GBA remakes of 1, 2, and 4. I just couldn't stop. Finally got my hands on 7, 8, and 9 and...yeah...that's my FF history...the abridged version.
yeah, you're not going to like FFVII in that case.. if I had known you then, I could have told you that... it's something that truly only excels in its own time.. you had to be there when it first came out, and was the biggest and most expansive and impressive feat of computer graphics and gameplay...

My mom is the same way, although her pedigree isn't quite as full as yours... she started with 10, loved 10-2, 12, then played 8 and 9 and loved those.. she started to play 7, and she was just like "-.^.. wtf is this?".

It's ok, all nostalgic fanboys need to get with the times anyway imo.. I love final fantasy vi, and would probably buy a remake, but I don't go to sleep thinking about a game that is 14 years old.. It's true of any nostalgic pursuits.

That being said though, I can understand WHY things are nostalgic, at least if I was there for them when they first arrived (and in FFVII and Ocarina's case, I was there)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
JFenlon said:
Modern Warfare 2.
kinda goes without saying but yeah

+1 for that

Myself though, it's MGS4.

God that game was such a monumental let down, I thought Kojima had gotten his shit together after MGS3 turned out so well, but no, Raiden returned, the patriots are back, it all doesn't make sense to spite 9+ hours of cutscenes it all remains 100% bullshit. The stealth mechanic is broken, the boss battles boring, the set pieces don't even live up to MGS1's standards which somehow to spite everything remains the best in the series.

Finale makes no sense and is so contrived, pedantic and anti-climatic I wonder if I accidentally got the secret joke ending...

MGS1 was the only game that made me cry at the end.

Yet every games since has failed so utterly (though MGS3 was quite cool).

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Bioshock, Far-Cry, Final Fantasy 12, Spore and Modern Warfare 2, they all had potential and just didn't seem to live up to it

BlackndEclipse

Mar 17, 2010
Altorin said:
Ryuzaki001 said:
Altorin said:
Ryuzaki001 said:

yeah, you're not going to like FFVII in that case.. if I had known you then, I could have told you that... it's something that truly only excels in its own time.. you had to be there when it first came out, and was the biggest and most expansive and impressive feat of computer graphics and gameplay...

My mom is the same way, although her pedigree isn't quite as full as yours... she started with 10, loved 10-2, 12, then played 8 and 9 and loved those.. she started to play 7, and she was just like "-.^.. wtf is this?".

It's ok, all nostalgic fanboys need to get with the times anyway imo.. I love final fantasy vi, and would probably buy a remake, but I don't go to sleep thinking about a game that is 14 years old.. It's true of any nostalgic pursuits.

That being said though, I can understand WHY things are nostalgic, at least if I was there for them when they first arrived (and in FFVII and Ocarina's case, I was there)
Your mum played Final Fanatsy? wow thats awesome, wish my mum would take an interest into gaming D:<

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
BlackndEclipse said:
Your mum played Final Fanatsy? wow thats awesome, wish my mum would take an interest into gaming D:<
*plays*

we're getting her Final Fantasy XIII for her birthday next week.

and I get that a lot actually

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
everything by Bungie, Activision or Tim Schafer.

also Peter Molenuex is overhyped.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Crayzor said:
Anything from Lionhead? And also MW2. I enjoy playing it, but the way it was hyped you would have thought it was the Second Coming.
I wouldn't say ANYTHING from Lionhead, just Fable 2 everything else was worth the little or no hype it got. MW2 was not worth a shred of the hype all it did was bring gaming to the ASBO's, more so than Fifa and Pro Evolution Soccer did.

[sub]I used that avatar myself in my early days and March Mayhem last year :)[/sub]

Incompl te

Dec 13, 2008
Uno from the 360 Marketplace.

But seriously,

I could never and still can't see the brilliance of Half Life. I have it, have played it (not to completion) but can't get into it. It just seems waaay too basic as well as linear.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Demon's Souls - Got to play it for a while last week. I don't get it. It's Diablo in current gen graphics. It's not bad, but I don't see how it's so earth-shatteringly amazing. Aside from a few gimmicks, it's fairly standard stuff. It was heralded by some people on this forum as the second coming of the Christ, and all I saw was a regular hack&slash with the difficulty turned up...

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Anticitizen_Two said:
Obviously, any game in the Halo/Call of Duty series
Left 4 Dead 2 (first one was soooooooooo much better)
Wait, do you mean the characters? I don't really see how it goes down in gameplay or the background story.