Gorrath said:
Madmatty said:
Gorrath said:
Madmatty said:
Zhukov said:
Madmatty said:
Zhukov said:
Smilomaniac said:
The way I see it, Islam should be treated as a political movement across the spectrum and lose the privileges of freedom of religion in western countries.
You seriously think that would help?

"Hey, see that group who have an issue with radicalized youth committing terrorist acts? Yeah, I say we massively piss them off! Actively persecute them! That'll calm them right down."

Brilliance, sheer brilliance. I'm dazzled.
What else would you have us do? I say kill or deport anyone who supports sharia law and close the borders to them. Do whatever it takes
Soooo... kill people for their political beliefs.

Huh.

I'm sorry, who are the good guys here again?
Us their political beliefs are INCOMPATIBLE with our way of life I say we're bad people for not deporting them or shooting them. We stand for a better ideology then they do.
Part of the reason we stand for a better ideology is because we stand for freedom of thought, word and belief. Deporting dissenters undermines the very core values you and I know to be superior. You can't beat an ideology you don't like by becoming that ideology. You can't fight intolerance with intolerance. People can be Nazi's, bigots, racists and spout all around horrible ideas. Our job isn't to deport them but to debate them, to show just why their ideas are shameful and backward. Western civilization is built on the fair contest of ideas not the excision of ideology we don't like.
It's not becoming that ideology. There should be limits on what you can and can't support an ideology like sharia law undermines basic human rights. So you should not be allowed to support it. Plus France belongs to the French and if immigrants don't like the way France does things they should get out
Shiria is an ideology that is intolerant of other ideologies. By adopting an ideology that is intolerant of people who support Shiria, you are adopting the same intolerance toward ideology present in Shiria. You are supporting the punishment of thought crime, which is also part of Shiria ideology. So yes, you are indeed becoming more like Sharia by criminalizing Shiria.

The problem with your second sentence is , who decides what ideologies undermine basic human rights? If people decide that medicine is a basic human right and you argue that it should remain a for profit business venture, they can then argue that you support an ideology that undermines basic human rights and deport you. Do you not see how such broad platitudes can be used to oppress differing opinions? I can give you ten examples off the top of my head how this will bite us in the ass.

The idea that if you don't like the way something is done in a democratic country, you should get out, undermines the whole damned point of democracy. If you are a citizen of a democratic nation, you should use the democratic system to attempt to change things you think are wrong, not just pack your shit and leave. That's how dictatorships are run, not democracies.
If that's the way all democracy's are then I don't want to live in a democracy because it appears democracy in this case DOESNT WORK
Indeed it seems you don't want to live in a democracy, you want to live under an authoritarian regime that agrees with your personal beliefs and values, which is exactly what the people who support Shiria Law want, they just have different values than you. And there's the rub, you have more in common with those you claim are incompatible with democracy than you realize.

It's all about the values if certain values like gender equality and separation of church and state can be challenged then no I don't want to live in a society like that
Then it sounds to me like you're the one that should leave, since challenging ideas is precisely what leads to the evolution of our thinking and understanding. I don't actually want people with differing ideas to go because I do want to be challenged. I don't agree with almost anything in Shiria Law but one of the biggest things I object to in it is the way it doesn't allow for ideas it deems "dangerous" to itself. What you propose is the exact same mechanism and it's an abhorrent mechanism. No matter who employs it, and no matter their promises that it will only be used for good, it is a mechanism that punishes thought.
So you want to live in a society where women's rights and secularism can be undone? That's not evolution it's severe backsliding and gender equality and separation of church and state are ideologies that SHOULD NOT BE CHALLENGED!

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Gorrath said:
Along with "Islamaphobia." I get accused of that all the time for criticizing Islamic beliefs. Funny thing is, no one accuses me of "Christianphobia" for doing the same to Christianity. Me thinks the game is rigged.
That's why you gotta rig that shit right back!
Madmatty said:
If you try to push for sharia law in any way you would be exiled to Syria.
Have fun dealing with Syria about sending them your exiled.
Also I never said hitler did nothing wrong I equate Islamists with hitler in fact.
I never said you did. I used it as an example.
Sharia law is a new form of evil that the people of Europe have to fight. All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
New form? I hope you mean recent threat because then I could let that slide but Sharia is faaarrrr older than you're thinking.
A new form of evil in Europe is what I meant like nazisim or communism also two ideologies that should not be allowed to take power or exist in a democratic society

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
dunam said:
Wait, where has anyone mentioned any form of white nationalism?
LegendaryGamer0 said:
People seem to use the phrase without actually knowing what it means. A catch-all term these days, if you will.
It tends to go hand-in-hand with people who believe that everyone who's brown should be deported and all of the borders should be closed to immigration.

Gorrath said:
dunam said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
dunam said:
Wait, where has anyone mentioned any form of white nationalism?
People seem to use the phrase without actually knowing what it means. A catch-all term these days, if you will.
Is that like the way mgtow and pua are conflated even though being practically diametrically opposite ends?
I know that feeling all too well. I am neither a PUA or MGTOW but boy do I ever see them and MRA, MRM and people who are none of those things all grouped up like they share the same ideology. You can outright say you hate MRA, think it's a stupid movement and denounce its core concepts and people will accuse you of being an MRA (ala RoK.)
The very simple reason that these things get conflated is because many people who individually identify as separate groups share exactly the same beliefs, just expressed in slightly different ways. I can't even count the number of people I've read who separately identify as MGTOWs, PUAs, or MRAs all express the same ideas about how women are awful because they control the "sex market", and black people need to all be killed before they "contaminate" "our women" and cause "white genocide".

You know what.

Forget it. I'm not interested in this. People don't actually care about listening to what someone else says once that person has been identified as their ideological opponent, and it's really just not worth it for me to get roped into yet another argument that comes down to No True Scotsman.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Madmatty said:
A new form of evil in Europe is what I meant like nazisim or communism also two ideologies that should not be allowed to take power or exist in a democratic society
So we're finally at Thoughtcrime?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Madmatty said:
So you want to live in a society where women's rights and secularism can be undone? That's not evolution it's severe backsliding and gender equality and separation of church and state are ideologies that SHOULD NOT BE CHALLENGED!
I want to live in a society where no idea is considered sacred or infallible because no idea exists in government or society as a simple platitude. If someone decides that "women's rights" means that men should be second class citizens, I'm not going to agree and want the democratic power to fight back. This is why I pointed out the issue with "human rights" there is no agreement on what constitutes or should constitute a "human right." The world doesn't run on platitudes, it runs on nuance and no idea no matter how well intentioned is incapable of being bastardized in the name of a totolitarian "for the good of the people" power grab.

That is why people must be free to express opinions (as distinct from calling people to violence), no matter how toxic because once you start deciding that some things are sacred cows or that other ideas are too toxic to be allowed to even be thought, you begin to empower the oppression of all ideas. This is why freedom of speech is a cornerstone of Western Democracy.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
dunam said:
Quite a few news outlets framed this as a "truck kills ...". Some headlines read as if it's an accident or as if trucks are somehow autonomous now. If we don't even dare name the problem, we can not solve it. I can not see where a better focus can lie than there at this point in time; opening up the conversation and getting people to understand and acknowledge the role of islam in this.
Kind of reminds me of the San Bernardino and Orlando attacks and you have the POTUS dancing around to blame guns while being careful in his words about the perps, and yet the Charleston church shooting, oh no, we're totally blaming guns and the shooter.

We need an Olympic event for Mental Gymnastics.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Forget it. I'm not interested in this. People don't actually care about listening to what someone else says once that person has been identified as their ideological opponent, and it's really just not worth it for me to get roped into yet another argument that comes down to No True Scotsman.
If you're not interested, that's fine and I won't press you on it but I will say that I am not the kind of person who dismisses people just because I don't agree with them on a subject. I listen, read, do my best to understand and reply in good faith as much as humanly possible. I don't want to rope you into a discussion you don't want to have but if I came into a thread, said a bunch of stuff about feminism being total shit and then ended by saying I didn't actually want to talk about it, it might irk feminists who have some choice responses to my criticism.

So again, I will totally leave you alone on that issue unless you decide you want to talk about it later but lobbing a hot potato at me and then skipping out because you're sure I'm just going to be dismissive of you isn't exactly fair to me. I mean you no offense I just replied hoping you can see why what you said is troublesome for me.

MJpoland

Legacy
Jan 12, 2011
Country
Poland
Its just an observation, not personal opinion, but...

I find it ironic how people (who stand for democracy, equality and tolerance) because of their believes allow certain groups (some of which believe in completely opposite values) into their countries and then cry about #phobias when someone points its out.

As it stands, believing in democracy equals allowing others to overthrow it as long as it is done in a democratic way. If you try to stop that you will become part of problem too... is democracy really a good system? Should we go then for some kind of authoritarian regime? But wait, we are switching now to dictatorship to avoid dictatorship...

Is there any solution to this problem?

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
MJpoland said:
As it stands, believing in democracy equals allowing others to overthrow it as long as it is done in a democratic way. If you try to stop that you will become part of problem too... is democracy really a good system? Should we go then for some kind of authoritarian regime? But wait, we are switching now to dictatorship to avoid dictatorship...

I've been a fan of this. Why can't we all just sit back and rellaaaax?

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
dunam said:
Madmatty said:
I think there are quite a few people who want to protect women's rights and secularism. That's not why people are criticizing your ideas.

I think you're underestimating how your ideas would work when put into practice.

There seem to be at least two different camps; I see people who I think are in denial in the way islam itself contributes to these problems. Then there's a group that seems to think that that is a bigoted point of view, and if I understand them correctly, that these kind of events aren't so bad in the grand scheme of things.

So, you and I agree that steps need to be taken to prevent or at least, try and prevent a repeat. It pains me to say it, but as long as a significant number of people refuse to acknowledge the problem, we can't even begin to address which solution would work. I don't think the solutions you've mentioned are very well-thought out. If you did spend considerable time to shape them, I would be eager to know why you thought of exactly those solutions.

Quite a few news outlets framed this as a "truck kills ...". Some headlines read as if it's an accident or as if trucks are somehow autonomous now. If we don't even dare name the problem, we can not solve it. I can not see where a better focus can lie than there at this point in time; opening up the conversation and getting people to understand and acknowledge the role of islam in this.

And it's nice to see someone who cares about these things with a fire in their belly.
Finally someone's talking sense. I guess what I'd do is root out any organizations supporting sharia law and exile their members to whatever country their relatives came from and offer apostates of Islam safety with us and I would treat them better than Islamists ever did. I'd also encourage criticism of Islam and I'd deport anyone I knew to be sharia law promoters. I just want what I call a controlled democracy also I'd recruit Muslims who hate sharia law and give them special benifits

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Madmatty said:
Finally someone's talking sense. I guess what I'd do is root out any organizations supporting sharia law and exile their members to whatever country their relatives came from and offer apostates of Islam safety with us and I would treat them better than Islamists ever did. I'd also encourage criticism of Islam and I'd deport anyone I knew to be sharia law promoters. I just want what I call a controlled democracy
So, not really a Democracy. Hey, as long as you're being honest and saying what you really want.
also I'd recruit Muslims who hate sharia law and give them special benifits
...What kind of special benefits? This is sounding like a different conspiracy theory regarding WWII now.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
MJpoland said:
Its just an observation, not personal opinion, but...

I find it funny how people (who stand for democracy, equality and tolerance) because of their believes allow certain groups (some of which believe in completely opposite values) into their countries and then cry about #phobias when someone points its out.

Democracy is a shitty system, it's just the best system we've got. You can have authoritarianism even in a democracy depending on what laws are passed but that's why a constitution is so important to a democracy. Codifying certain basic rights as almost immutable helps curb the degradation of freedom even under democratic rule. The nature of people is to turn to authority in times of crisis, often bargaining away their freedom for temporary security. Constitutions help make such bargains difficult to achieve, though not impossible. It's a good system, in comparison, but not without its flaws.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Madmatty said:
Finally someone's talking sense. I guess what I'd do is root out any organizations supporting sharia law and exile their members to whatever country their relatives came from and offer apostates of Islam safety with us and I would treat them better than Islamists ever did. I'd also encourage criticism of Islam and I'd deport anyone I knew to be sharia law promoters. I just want what I call a controlled democracy
So, not really a Democracy. Hey, as long as you're being honest and saying what you really want.
also I'd recruit Muslims who hate sharia law and give them special benifits
...What kind of special benefits? This is sounding like a different conspiracy theory regarding WWII now.
They'd be paid too root out sharia supporters and identity them so the government can exile them

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
dunam said:
Madmatty said:
Finally someone's talking sense. I guess what I'd do is root out any organizations supporting sharia law and exile their members to whatever country their relatives came from and offer apostates of Islam safety with us and I would treat them better than Islamists ever did. I'd also encourage criticism of Islam and I'd deport anyone I knew to be sharia law promoters. I just want what I call a controlled democracy also I'd recruit Muslims who hate sharia law and give them special benifits
Well, I wrote that specifically to extend a bridge to you. You still have to walk across it.

I think a lot of people have been talking sense, I think you could do yourself well if you more carefully read what other people mean and possibly ask questions if you don't understand why somebody disagrees with you on something. You don't have to agree with others on everything, but I'm left with the impression that you haven't really grasped why people criticize some of your ideas.

As to the things you've just mentioned, yes, I think we can do better outreach to islamic apostates. It wouldn't be hard to treat them better than islamists. Yet, if security is your goal, how would you know that would-be terrorists wouldn't claim to be apostates? Islam has provisions that allows its followers to deny a faith in Allah if they would otherwise be persecuted, which means that extremist believers could use that to pretend to be apostates.

In the UK you would have to stop the sharia small-courts currently in operation. And apart from practical considerations, I don't think all that many of the people who agree that islam is part of the root of the cause of these events, would agree with the solutions you prevent, because it would mean the death of some of the ideals, like free speech mentioned before.

Are you interested in finding out why?
There'd be more free speech than now because the government of France sides with the Islamists when someone criticizes their ideology the PC crowd cries racist

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
This is going to be a lovely thread.

Callate said:
...Could someone give me a nudge when the world wants to be civilized again? I think I want to hole up in a corner with a blanket.
By your definition, the world has never been civilized. There has not been a single minute on this Earth with humans inhabiting it where someone wasn't murdering someone else because they didn't like them.
*SIGH* Bless all of you incredibly literal-minded souls. All right, if we have to go that route, there must never have been a point in time when the human race numbered fewer than about 400,000, then, because we would have killed ourselves down to an unviable level in a single human gestational period. In 2012, 437,000 people were murdered; there were 527,040 minutes in 2012. We may have gone entire days without a murder! Woo-hoo.

Britain recently commemorated the Battle of the Somme, the first day of which saw over nineteen thousand British troops lose their lives. Over half a million Rwandans lost their lives during the Rwandan genocide of 1994. I won't even bother going into the crimes of men like Stalin and Hitler; suffice it to say I am aware of them.

Yesterday, according to the latest reports, eighty-four innocent people lost their lives, including ten children. Eighty four deliberately targeted innocent celebrants.

On top of that, on an unrelated but personal level, I just got word that a friend I've known since grade school died in a hospital at the age of forty.

I am sick at heart. And your presuming to "inform" me that the world has never been a civilized place is of less than no value. That you find such minor and obvious hyperbole warrants a lecture does not speak well.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So yeah, I scrolled back through a few pages of discussion about "Sharia law" (most of it, admittedly, seemingly from one person) and Syria.. and seriously, what the fuck does anything of this have to do with what actually happened?

What actually happened, from what we can tell, is that a French man of Tunisian descent who was a Muslim (but, according to his neighbours, not very devout) went on a rampage and killed a lot of people with a rented truck before being shot dead by police. In the truck, he had a real pistol, which he used to fire on police, and a bunch of other weapons which later turned out to be fakes or dummies. He was estranged from his children and his wife, from whom he had separated, and was described as "a loner".

He was not known to security services, and had never been flagged for signs of radicalisation. He had never visited Syria or Iraq.

I think the question we have to start asking ourselves here is what would be required for a Muslim to commit a mass murder and have it not be labelled a terrorist attack or attributed immediately to Islamism rather than the same kinds of personal issues which cause white people to commit mass murder every so often.

Of course, we don't know everything so I'm not ruling out that it will turn out that Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel did have some connections to Islamist groups, but it's kind of telling that that's already the assumption, even though there's nothing to suggest it. Should who you are or what religion you were technically born into really determine the nature of crimes you commit, no matter how horrendous they may be?