Overlord 2

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
You have redeemed yourself with your Ghostbusters side note. I agree completely about Venkman and the difficulty curve spike in the cemetery.

Kanazuchi

Aug 20, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
...could "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar secretly be a dirty song about cumshots?
I'd put it in the realm of possibility. Unless you want to dismiss ZZ Top as a bunch of dirty old men.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
He pretty much hits on the reason why I stopped playing Dead Space... when I realized that since Isaac didn't talk, I didn't give a shit about his story and his emotional stake. If he had had some dialogue and I had been able to see what the characters meant to him, maybe I would have cared. If you MUST have a silent protagonist, do the Alyx thing and let the player form their own attatchment to the character (I actually don't like Alyx, and I was amused when she died, she comes across as far too smug... and Gordon is to old for her so their "relationship" is creepy).

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I'm hoping since the Prototype vs. InFamous challenge, developers are taking a close look at Yahtzee's complaints and making a mental note of them for their future titles.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Well, to primarily comment on your Zero Punctuation comment about the lack of good "evil" games, I'd like to point out Dungeon Keepers 1/2. Just saying.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
Is this the first one, or did I miss any?
Anyway this is great, since he can adress things he left out of his reviews and we can get a beter idea of his opinion. Not that I follow his opinions, I'm a JRPG fan...

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
(I actually don't like Alyx, and I was amused when she died, she comes across as far too smug... and Gordon is to old for her so their "relationship" is creepy).
What? Alyx doesn't die. Her dad dies, and if you enjoyed watching him die just because you hate Alyx then your heartless and I hate you.(joke)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
bodyklok said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
(I actually don't like Alyx, and I was amused when she died, she comes across as far too smug... and Gordon is to old for her so their "relationship" is creepy).
What? Alyx doesn't die. Her dad dies, and if you enjoyed watching him die just because you hate Alyx then your heartless and I hate you.(joke)
Actually
Eli's Death
really got to me. And Alyx does "die" she's just sort of "brought back".

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I haven't beaten Overlord 2 yet. I am working on it and am quite far in it but so far I have not felt motivated by some sense of world domination. Sure Gnarl seems to want me to as he whispers in my ear but my motivation this far has been a simple but effective one: REVENGE. Without revealing too much the first few minutes past the tutorial were all the motivation I need to do what I have been doing.

And the carrot for the mistresses (yes plural) is also a simple one: BREAST PHYSICS

lol

Also I think there is a difference between a character you assume the role of and a character you care about. The Overlord and Isaac are characters you are supposed to see thier world through. Where a character like Shepard you see from the outside.

And this has nothing to do with what perspective the game is actually in (first or third). I don't see any difference between the Overlord and Gordon Freeman.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
There's actually a Japanese dating sim where you stab the chick in the throat and fuck the hole.
I think it's based on a gameshow there.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Oh deary me. I find myself at a loss for words; this is one of the few times that I completely disagree with Mr. Croshaw.

When we purchase something, we purchase it because of our expectations. When you buy an apple, you expect it to taste like an apple. When you buy a bed, you expect to be able to sleep on it. So when someone buys Overlord 2, they should expect to play as an overlord. It's one thing when games try to sneak a character's personality past the player to compensate for the fact that they didn't give him any (ex: Dead Space), but in Overlord 2, it's not very subtle is it? It's in the bloody title.

Yahtzee's biggest mistake was assuming that the game is trying to make us care; it doesn't, and it shouldn't. What it does do is establish a role, a filled niche for us to tamper with. We're not called the players for nothing you know?

Gaming was established on the foundation that people wanted to be something/someone else; you know, escape? They didn't even need for us to care about the role we were playing, just as long as we got away. If every game tried to make us care about our role, it suddenly isn't a game anymore, it's a second life, and the game becomes one long tutorial level (ex: GTA IV.)

I guess that as games got more modern, so did our expectations. We started off filling in someone's shoes; now it seems they have to be our shoes in order for us to give a crap. People don't care about characters, stories, or concepts; they care about the game itself. Our obsession with video games may have created our so called culture, but it's also created far too much criticism. The result; more games with sullen protagonists, more games with havoc physics, and more games that are borderline reality.

Overlord 2 was, in my eyes, a terrible game (the controls are what got me mostly), but at least it had unique depth. We can't expect to care about every universe a game presents us; we can only expect a role, and to have fun playing it.

I'm sorry if this comes off as a bit of a rant. I'm going to walk my dog now.

PS- I like the idea of Yahtzee following up on his reviews, it gives a lot more room for discussion, which is what the internet is all about.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee to a point, but where I disagree most is about caring. I think there's more than one type of person with different levels of emotions. The more emotional someone is, the more emotion they bring to the game, from the very beginning. Where some need to be motivated to care, others, like myself, already do. Course this is one reason I can get bored with a game fairly quickly when they don't meet up to my emotional expectations. Love the carrot and stick analogy. Most games these days just give me stick.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Virgil said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Is this a new feature here?
It's a new weekly feature. Every Friday.
This isn't replacing Shamus Young's "experienced points" is it?

-or is that even on a Friday in the first place?
Nope, there will be a new Experienced Points later today, same time as normal.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Yahtzee's biggest mistake was assuming that the game is trying to make us care; it doesn't, and it shouldn't. What it does do is establish a role, a filled niche for us to tamper with. We're not called the players for nothing you know?
I don't think that's the point of his complaint. I believe he's referring to the game adding "caring" details to the story/ gameplay, but not giving any reason or benefit for actualy doing the caring. Basicly, the game would be/ feel the exact same without those features.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Good, I found this to be a worthwhile read, look forwrad to seeing more of these.

Also, there are at least two spoiler violations in this here topic! Can you spot them? Unless you haven't finished Mass Effect or Half-Life 2: Episode 2, in which case you won't want to.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
bodyklok said:
Extra punctuation? Sorry Yahtzee, I like you and all. But, I'm not really the reading type. Maybe if you put it all in a short video with animations and dick jokes I'd look at it, but for now...
You don't have to read it, he already makes videos, why does this need to be video based also?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree since I don't even think Overlord is trying to make you care, Fable sure, but not Overlord. The point of Overlord's style was to satire what Fable does. The main reason I'd resurrect a certain minion is they gathered a good amount of loot and is stronger than the average minion, thus saving them is a big help.

Its strange Yahtzee is focusing so much on this game. An dutch game with a cult following is hardly something holding back the game's industry.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Quadtrix said:
I'm hoping since the Prototype vs. InFamous challenge, developers are taking a close look at Yahtzee's complaints and making a mental note of them for their future titles.
You do know Yahtzee is one of the least serious reviewers out there? I know he makes some very valid points on a lot of games but its more about comedy then serious criticizing.

This written series on the other hand, well we will just have to wait and see.