Overstrike Becomes Fuse

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Ugh, I really loved the look, feel and characters of the original trailer, its really disheartening to see this happen to the characters.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Hey, it`s Binary Domain 2.
As much as i like BD i don`t want this for Fuse. The old trailer is awesome and it felt unique, now it looks boring. The new character designs are so fucking uninteresting. I really don`t get why this change was necesscary.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
Its the wait and see affect. Got me thinking of how I felt when I saw the cell shading for Wind Waker, instead of that what was in the infamous link vs Gannon trailer that was circulating before the new title was announced.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well screw you to Imsomniac, I haven't bought any of your games since Ratchet and Clank Gladiator, anyway!

And I bought all of them used to!

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
just one question comes to mind, "Why?" i mean, seriously, you had this awesome trailer with great style and light hearted 4 players co-op, something that is so rare to see, and turn it into "gears of binary i dont even care", i dont really investigate in these things so someone correct me if im wrong, but i smell the hand of the publisher in this xd

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I watched the trailer and I was like, "WOOOOHOOO! Borderlands 3 Overstrike!"

Then I read the article and I had a sad.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
The artstyle shift is a huge pain. Honestly I like co-op shooters and the "New" gameplay shift probably works better, but we didn't know anything about the gameplay before anyways. So with subdued humor and more realistic visuals they're getting rid of the two things that sold me on the game in the first place. Uber-lame.

Apr 28, 2008
The change in style and tone makes me sad. Still seems like it'll be good, but I would've preferred if it was more like its 2011 trailer. That trailer made the game look fun and interesting, this one makes it look like... bleh.

Wonder why they changed styles.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
urgh. So they want to have independence of their studio and they go to EA? Really? Should have stuck with Sony. I really hope this is a one time deal with EA and after that they decide to go to someone else. Or back to Sony. I was really excited for Overstrike. It looked like an amazing game. Now this. I'm sure the weapons and gameplay will be tight and interesting but the humour that was in the trailer would have made it better.

Yes I know it wasn't a gameplay trailer but I was hoping it was indication of what the gameplay would be like and I was hoping the game would be colourful and game humour. Now it sounds like its yet ANOTHER serious game about a unnamed terrorist group from an unnamed region with robots. WHY EA! WHY! I really hope its EA's influence and not some direction decided by the heads at Insomniac.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Now, I'm not saying EA is responsible for this change, I'm just heavily implying it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I actually really liked this trailer, but I never saw the trailer for Overstrike so I've not the prior knowledge to be upset about the changes.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Kopikatsu said:
I actually really liked this trailer, but I never saw the trailer for Overstrike so I've not the prior knowledge to be upset about the changes.
That is the original trailer, the screenshots are what the game looks like now.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I was seriously and honestly interested in this game purely because of the trailer. It seemed like a great combination of the zaniness of Borderlands with the heavy team-focus of Left4Dead. At worst, the game would be compared too heavily with Borderlands's style.
Borderlands's developer even wondered out loud why nobody was making iterations on their gamestyle.

Then EA comes and pulls this.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Ah sad day. Other wise I am surprised how many people are comparing it to borderlands from the original trailer, yes it has guns and four player coop but they don't even say was first person in it, seemed to imply little to no rpg elements both are animated but with very different art styles, and both are comedy but borderlands is dark armpit of humanity humor and overstrike was over the top kids show. guess it goes to show just how little verity we have if these two were compared. Oh well rest in peace overstrike the Frankenstein that is fuse still looks fun though.

Diplian

Sep 6, 2009
Comparing the photos and the video I think the video looks alot better.
The pictures look colourless and they miss something..

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I see this as kinda Ironic....in a way. See Valve turned team fortress 2 from a generic military FPS to a charismatic, cartoonish FPS. While EA turned a charismatic, cartoonish TPS to a generic military TPS.

So yeah, no one EVER makes money off a charismatic cartoonish shooter... -_-

T^T

I weep for what could of been. Thank you Overstrike for at least existing for a short period of time in this world of generic military shooters. May you rest in peace.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Both the before and after have their seperate appeal, and yet the former is the one I would have really hurried to shell out for. It almost feels like the direction change TF2 went through mid development - only in reverse?