Overstrike Becomes Fuse

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Before Diablo 3's release: "This game looks too colorful now!"

Before Fuse's release: "This game looks too gritty now!"

I guess gamers really hard to please.Just because the art style has gone for a slightly more "realistic" approach does not mean the game will automatically be horrible. Insomiac hasn't let me down yet (although I haven't played Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One yet), so I'm still reasonably excited for the release. I loved the Resistance games even though they had the gritty, alternate reality 1950s feel to them. Count me still excited, I actually thought this game was dead seeing as there hadn't been word on it for over a year.

Anyway, I found a link on the decision to change art style (its from IGN, don't kill me): http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/12/why-did-overstrike-become-fuse

Six months ago, Insomniac realized Overstrike wasn?t quite working. The core idea was sound ? a four-player shooter where each co-op player has a unique role in combat and has a useful role in the story ? but something was missing. Little did the developer realize the solution had been sitting in front of them the entire time: the Fuse substance was a story element, but it didn?t play an active role in the form and function of playing Overstrike. When it became both the motivation for the characters as well as the source of their distinct powers, Overstrike became Fuse, and Fuse scrapped its cartoonish aesthetic for something a little more grounded.

If you didn?t see our impressions already, we love it.

But why did the transition happen at all?

With Fuse?s more photo-realistic visuals and altered story came new weapon forms and amplified violence. Enemies melt, explode into chunks, spray blood when they?re cut, and wobble their backward heads after unsettling neck-break animations. ?Me, personally? I love this s?t,? says Ted Price, founder and CEO of Insomniac Games. With Overstrike, ?we couldn?t unleash.? And this isn?t uniquely tied to gore.

The heroes of Fuse are barely heroes at all. They?re all deeply flawed, and their group, Overstrike 9, is hardly a team at all. They?re mercenaries who happen to organize together, and some have personal histories with each other. They?re the grown-up version of a ragtag motley crew, each with disturbing (not just dark) pasts. Jacob Kimble, for instance, is a former LAPD cop ? ?former? because his black-and-white brand of justice once involved locking a child-killer in the trunk of a car and burning him alive. Dalton Brooks, on the other hand, used to work for the terrorists he?s hunting down.

At the same time, Price says ?We are not trying to be an ultra-realistic game, period. That is not our space. We love having games that are grounded, but we make big nods to sci-fi and more pulp influences.? It?s a balance of ?a game that has humor but isn?t taking itself completely seriously.?

Internally, ?It took a lot of us learning about who the audience is halfway through,? Price says. Violence ?has such a freeing effect, in terms of doing cool stuff with the weapons, compared to the more restricted, light-hearted T-rated game.?

Fundamentally and philosophically, though, Fuse is Overstrike. There was no major change to the mechanics, and the Xbox 360 didn?t pose problems for the traditionally PlayStation-exclusive team. Price is proud of his team?s game and excited about the new direction. Justifiably so: Fuse is, on first impression, utterly fantastic.

Ignoring all the IGN hype dribble in the article, it seems like they just wanted to unleash a bit. I am glad that Price did say he isn't going to make the game ultra-realistic however, even if the art style has gone through a very specific change.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
if it was somthing more definitive like a trailer...

but thease are screen shots, I mean screenshots can change

(ahh who am I kidding?)

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
carlh267 said:

We do miss crisp, black shadows, and shiny gloss to get that hard-edge feel.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Oh, they changed the name. Kinda liked Overstrike a bit more, but perhaps it ties into the story. Doesn't matter too much as long as...

Okay, I'm not gonna lose my shit here. The only thing that's really changed is the art design, and I can live with that. (There still better be a big bald guy who's really a robot) but c'mon! I would've been okay with adding a bit more body armor, but they're all the same shade of fucking gray. Seriously, this is the only thing that's bothering me, the new character designs. They just look so...boring.

I wanna party with those motherfuckers!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Kwil said:
Looks like some marketer saw it and went, "This doesn't look HD.. we need it to look HD."
I'm pretty sure HD isn't a colour palette or artstyle

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
This is Insomniac. They made (in my opinion) the best shooter on the PS3, the best platformer on the PS1, and a damn good platformer-shooter hybrid on the PS2. If anyone can inject life into a stale genre, I think it's Insomniac. I have faith in them.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
...and with that I have lost all interest in this game.

EA now has zero games that interest me so that's some good news

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps it was looking far too interesting and fun, so they pulled it back and attempted to make it as generic and dull as possible. I mean, hell, who wants to play a game which is fun? I know I don't.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Colors must be an expensive commodity over at EA.

Well yet another game i am no longer interested in.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
That trailer was really quite fun-looking. Those screen-shots are not. Then again, it's perhaps not fair to bump those against each other, so I'll see what a trailer for the new one looks like...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Living_Brain said:
They made the force field green. WORST MISTAKE EVER.
It looks kinda weird to look through which wont help the "shoot through Dalton's field" mechanic.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
natster43 said:
Eh. I am not really interested in it now. It just looks so bland now.
yeah, that was basically my reaction as well. The new game doesn't look bad, just like a thousand other games. And the original trailer made me want to get invested in the characters, this just doesn't.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
carlh267 said:

The thing is, both scenarios involve changing a perceived expectation. The Diablo crowd were expecting something gritty, and it wasn't up to their standards. Insomniac set up a light hearted premise and it's taken a gritty turn. And frankly, we're fine for gritty shooters. This could've filled a niche with very little competiton. How many quirky comical shooters are there on the market at the moment? The only one that comes to mind is Borderlands, and even then that holds a different market appeal.

Personally, I'm less enthusiastic about this now. Insomniac has a good pedigree of humourous games, and frankly I was excited for another one. I'll withold judgement until I know more details, because Insomniac have proven they are able to do gritty quite well. The Resistance and Infamous series were both excellent, and while Infamous did have moments of levity it was still a fairly serious affair. I'm more than willing to reckon this will be a good game, barring any interference from EA (I really don't want to jump on the auto-EA hate wagon, but frankly you can only judge a horse by the races its won, or in this case the horses it's hamstrung and sent to the glue factory).

Overstrike would've been a day 1 purchase.
Fuse will be a wait and see affair.

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
Wow just wow I mean I know ruining game companies and franchises are EAs thing but even I have to admit I'm impressed at how quickly they worked with ruining Insomniac Games. It almost makes me want to buy their game, almost.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
thanatos388 said:
And always remember grit will always sell more than humor and charm, just ask MGS, WOW, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Obviously EA is such a genious, if only they were smart enough to take the humor out of Mass Effect 3 the one thing people complain about in the damn thing.
To be fair to Metal Gear Solid, as ridiculous and campy as the story is, the aesthetic has always been rather 'stylized grit'.

TheNaut131 said:

I wanna party with those motherfuckers!
As soon as I saw the redhead in the trenchcoat in the trailer, I said aloud "Wow, I'd like playing a game as that character."

Then I looked at the screenshots.

I didn't even know anything about this game and I'm now disappointed about the change.

Apr 28, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
That trailer was really quite fun-looking. Those screen-shots are not. Then again, it's perhaps not fair to bump those against each other, so I'll see what a trailer for the new one looks like...
It looks like this:

Not exactly riveting stuff. Especially not compared to the OverStrike trailer.

*sigh*