Overstrike Becomes Fuse

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Did I miss something? When did Insomniac become just another EA drone? It's honestly like learning about the death of a long lost friend.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
...Two of the biggest games out there, in that they keep making money, are World of Warcraft and TF2. Both of them have a cartoony aesthetic. Why do people keep insisting on this gritty bullshit?

I'm sure the game will be fun and all, the studio has a great track record, but what caught my attention was the unique look. I was looking forward to a shooter unafraid to be fun... Which this still could be, but it feels like they've taken a step back.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Blueruler182 said:
...Two of the biggest games out there, in that they keep making money, are World of Warcraft and TF2. Both of them have a cartoony aesthetic. Why do people keep insisting on this gritty bullshit?

I'm sure the game will be fun and all, the studio has a great track record, but what caught my attention was the unique look. I was looking forward to a shooter unafraid to be fun... Which this still could be, but it feels like they've taken a step back.
Because they still think COD sells for gritty alone. Imo, a good amount of people I know play COD for the gameplay, not the asthetics. But developers think that it's the asthetics and so they keep making games bleaker and more brown. D:

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Wow I had actually forgotten all about this game. Shame they seem to have decided to go the more "gritty" route since I enjoy games like TF2 and Evil Genius that have a lot of personality and humor to keep things fresh. Guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
[Insert Name Here said:
]That E3 2011 trailer was really awesome and fun and got me excited for the game. Now, they took pretty much everything that made that interesting, shifted the tone, and I'm not looking forward to this as much. It's Insomniac, which means the gameplay will still probably be great, but they've neutered the charm and enthusiasm out of it.
yeah the gameplay will still probably be good, but the game seemed so much more... Fun with the original teaser.

the fact that that game i first saw will now never be made legitimately brought a tear to my eye. it was one of the E3 highlights, and made me instantly want it. the aesthetic change and tone change just makes me sad.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THIS?

sorry. had to say it. i really dont understand why they keep doing that when every time they do, people ***** and moan and they lose sales.

way to ruin my day asshats. (and this is all coming from someone who up until now has been impartial towards EA because the games i got from them were still good, and the IP didn't experience huge changes, at lest not in the installments i played)

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Meh, this is EA we're talking about. If it doesn't have some sort of gritty, muscle-loving, grunting attitude designed to cater to the dudebro collective, it can't possibly sell. The only good money for EA is hot, disposable Dudebro Money.

The only reason they haven't Grimdark'd The Sims is because this would be such an egregious case of design alteration that the franchise's fans would scream in sheer outrage. The fans of a team-based FPS' initial design, though? Not so much. Upper Management figures we'll all shut up, pony up the cash and like it anyway.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Vault101 said:
Sober Thal said:
Less TF2... I approve.
WHAT? you awful awful person...gritty is the devils visual style and you obviously drown puppies in your spare time to say such a thing
As official member of the puppy drowning club I'd like to object: we like our hilariously campy team-based shooters just as much as you do.

Not so much for the yet-another-gritty shooters though. We find them depressing; and when we're depressed we drown puppies.

So think before you develop, Insomniac: every time you release a boringly gritty shooter, puppies die by our hands. Lots of puppies.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
OniSuika said:
This is depressing. Really depressing.

What's even their excuse for this change? Everyone was praising the light hearted tone and quirky characters. Were they even paying attention?

No, clearly not.
EAs stock wouldn't be tanking if they payed attention to their customers moreso than their idea of what will make investors happy... Because all these other titles are gritty and sell, this must mean that nobody likes quirky likeable characters anymore, so dumb it down...

I see them faltering and losing a ton more ground in the industry real soon, I just hope they learn from it when it happens, rather than carrying on with all these policies that alienate huge chunks of their customer base, and damaget heir reputation with customers on a global scale.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
Disappointed.

Yeah, after skimming through the forum posts that seems to be the general consensus. I would agree. I genuinely liked the trailer for Overstrike. It reminded me of The Incredibles, and I loved that about it.

I honestly feel like I've had more than enough of my fair share of gritty, realistic, third-person shooters, relying on single Macguffin to try and differentiate itself. It just isn't enough to have one tiny little thing, that might turn out to be a gimmick depending on implementation, to try and separate yourself from the tried and tired formula that everyone knows pretty well at this point.

The Overstrike trailer had so much more going for it.
*Sigh*
Whatever.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Great. Now it looks like a gritty generic shooter. And of course this was EA's decision. Who else can be that stupid and afraid of making something different?

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Why the hell. Ratchet and Clank was so good, now they want to make it more like most other shooters. Last i checked (hopefully) interesting new games made more money than stupid COD wannabes. Nothing will topple COD no matter how much you try to imitate it.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
And always remember grit will always sell more than humor and charm, just ask MGS, WOW, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Obviously EA is such a genious, if only they were smart enough to take the humor out of Mass Effect 3 the one thing people complain about in the damn thing.

THE_JOKE_KING33

Jul 17, 2012
Quazimofo said:
[Insert Name Here said:
]That E3 2011 trailer was really awesome and fun and got me excited for the game. Now, they took pretty much everything that made that interesting, shifted the tone, and I'm not looking forward to this as much. It's Insomniac, which means the gameplay will still probably be great, but they've neutered the charm and enthusiasm out of it.
yeah the gameplay will still probably be good, but the game seemed so much more... Fun with the original teaser.

the fact that that game i first saw will now never be made legitimately brought a tear to my eye. it was one of the E3 highlights, and made me instantly want it. the aesthetic change and tone change just makes me sad.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THIS?

sorry. had to say it. i really dont understand why they keep doing that when every time they do, people ***** and moan and they lose sales.

way to ruin my day asshats. (and this is all coming from someone who up until now has been impartial towards EA because the games i got from them were still good, and the IP didn't experience huge changes, at lest not in the installments i played)
^This post sums up my feelings. I couldn't have said it better.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
But...OverStrike had CLASS! This new...THING...It's...Dead. What happened to the studio that made fun and unique experiences like Ratchet and Clank?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
offically not buying this game. Why the fuck would you change the art style that much?!

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
THAT E3 Trailer THIS GAME IS GONNA BE AWESOME FIRST TRAILER IN YEARS THAT HAS MADE ME LAUGH, THIS IS SO MUCH LIKE NOLF, I LOVE IT!
*sees news*
Oh.............
I need a hug.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
ecoho said:
offically not buying this game. Why the fuck would you change the art style that much?!
well, there is nothing wrong wit an art style change, because that brought us borderlands, but why the hell would they change the art to make it MORE generic?

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
l3o2828 said:
THAT E3 Trailer THIS GAME IS GONNA BE AWESOME FIRST TRAILER IN YEARS THAT HAS MADE ME LAUGH, THIS IS SO MUCH LIKE NOLF, I LOVE IT!
*sees news*
Oh.............
I need a hug.
{{Hugs}}

Myself I don't want to play the game on those screenshots but I did remember the game from the trailer and wish I could play that one instead.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
To who or what ever pushed for this change of art style thanks! THANKS A LOT!!!! (Sarcasm)

I think I was buying to many games and now I can scratch one off the "Prospective buy list" and place it in "I will never buy this, ever.(or pirate it to spite them or something)" Cabinet.

Looks like the Ransom Note(*1) Rayman: Origins will have some company.

*1 Around the time before R:O was coming out someone in Ubisoft said if it sold well they'd continue to work on Beyond: Good and Evil 2 instead of on it's own merit and fan appeal. This mind you coming after the same story, but about B:G&E (one) HD release a few years back.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
IrenIvy said:
l3o2828 said:
*sees news*
Oh.............
I need a hug.
{{Hugs}}

Myself I don't want to play the game on those screenshots but I did remember the game from the trailer and wish I could play that one instead.
I want the play The Trailer game too ;_;
Damn you Activision! ;o;
...thanks for the hug...there's only so many dissapointments one can take per week about this industry, funnily enough i have clocked over 200 this year alone.