Overwatch Cheaters Are Getting Wrecked By Blizzard

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Proto Taco said:
This is exactly why I don't buy Online-Only games anymore. If I'm at risk of having my $40 burned on the pyre of corporate indifference I'll go to Chile's. At least then I can get a molten brownie cake for my trouble.
Uh I'm pretty sure you're fine so long as you don't cheat.

Unless there's been some Dark Souls III problem where innocent people get caught in the crossfire, which I haven't heard anything about in this situation.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
The funniest thing about this thread?

If a big game corporation had said it was enacting a new system that say, permabanned all service for life anyone caught pirating a game, we'd be all up in arms over "not right" and "Too far." It'd be the biggest controversy since Tracer's ass/GhostbusterAVGNsogony/The Next Thing Sarkeesian says.

I guess extreme punishments for bad things are only acceptable if I am not the accused.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
On one hand, fuck hackers. They're the reason I quit playing MW2 back in the day.

On the other hand, banning them again if they buy a new copy of the game is unnecessarily harsh. If they buy the game again, they should be caught cheating again before Blizz starts to autoban future purchases. If they learn their lesson the first time they lose access to their game, let them enjoy your product; save the account-wide bans and bans of future purchases for the repeat offenders.

Honestly, locking out all of their Battle.net games AND publically shaming the cheaters is kind of a dick move, as well.
No, when you get banned, *you* have been banned from battle.net, not the copy of the game you paid for. *You* are not allowed to use battle.net any longer. That's not unnecessarily harsh, that's what being banned means.

meirol

Feb 14, 2012
Davroth said:
meirol said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Honestly, locking out all of their Battle.net games AND publically shaming the cheaters is kind of a dick move, as well.
Y'know what's kind of a dick move? Cheating.
When did fighting dick moves with dick moves become an acceptable strategy?
When the dick (cheaters) decides to be an asshole, and the other dick (Blizzard) fucks the assholes.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I've no issue with this so long as they have some way of making very, VERY sure there aren't false positives. If someone decides to literally ruin other people's enjoyment of a game they paid for, the cheater deserves to lose any chance of enjoying it too.

Cheating in single player games should be a player's choice and result in no action. Cheating in multiplayer games should lead to a ban for all those games. I think it's a bit much to strip people of their single player games for cheating though, whether it's justified by the EULA or not.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SlumlordThanatos said:
Banning them again if they buy a new copy of the game is unnecessarily harsh. If they buy the game again, they should be caught cheating again before Blizz starts to autoban future purchases. If they learn their lesson the first time they lose access to their game, let them enjoy your product; save the account-wide bans and bans of future purchases for the repeat offenders.
I'd argue that if you're at the very least 13 (game's rated T) you're long past "learning" that cheating is a no-no.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I don't get the cheers for this in this thread. Cheaters are just a childish nuisance, what the hell people?
Actually, cheaters have the potential to entirely ruin a game if they get a good enough foothold. If it's not curtailed, you will never find a game that isn't rife with cheating, and thus without cheating yourself you will never be able to actually have a fighting chance.

Also, I haven't played it myself so I could be wrong, but I don't think Overwatch has an offline mode. It has a vs. bots mode, but much like with Diablo III, you're always connected to their servers while playing the game. And I hope you hold the position that all online games should not remove a player's ability to play the game when they're caught breaking the terms of agreement, because as far as I'm aware literally every online game ever has had this sort of system, albeit enforced to different degrees. Overwatch is barely breaking the mold in any way; Steam even openly states that they reserve the right to ban you from your entire account, just not usually for things done in a single game.

OT: The potential for false positives is the only thing that worries me, because the punishment is so high. I've got Diablo III, Starcraft II, Hearthstone, and WoW, I wouldn't want to be locked out of all of them forever just because some system thought I was cheating in Overwatch when I wasn't. (In point of fact, it's been quite a while since I've cheated in any game, and with the exception of certain mods for certain games which may be considered as such because they let you skip areas or other similar effects, my cheating is only ever confined to cheat codes present within the games themselves.)

EDIT: If people aren't being falsely banned (and frankly, I'm not inclined to believe the stories that people who have been banned tell because experience tells me that they often have a colored view of the situation) then I really have no issue with this. I never liked the advent of the digital future in the first place, other people finally seeing the worst downsides that could come of it doesn't really bother me.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I mean they did say they'd do it so I don't know why anybody is shocked that they followed through, I just wanna make sure only people actually caught cheating get banned, because it would suck to get permabanned for no real reason.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
the only thing id be worried about is if they do ban you from playing all your games someones going to have both the time and the money to sue blizz in Ernest at which point most jury's will side with the cheaters over the company. not saying it would be right just saying that would be the likely result.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Sooo any word on what the false positive rate is? Don't get me wrong if we have an infallible system here then I'm all aboard let the cheaters reap what they sow etc. That said, it also puts me on edge that I could wake up one day to just 'nope, your bnet account is gone because a machine fucked up.'

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
EyeReaper said:
The funniest thing about this thread?

If a big game corporation had said it was enacting a new system that say, permabanned all service for life anyone caught pirating a game, we'd be all up in arms over "not right" and "Too far." It'd be the biggest controversy since Tracer's ass/GhostbusterAVGNsogony/The Next Thing Sarkeesian says.

I guess extreme punishments for bad things are only acceptable if I am not the accused.
Honestly? I'd be fine with that as long as demos resumed being a thing.

Mind you, I think "burying code to fuck with the pirate" ala Game Dev Tycoon to be much funnier and certainly a better solution...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
They'd better be 100% sure there's a 0% chance of false positives, but assuming there is, I'm totally cool with this. I remember when Origin implemented the same "get banned, lose all your games" policy, but the difference is that EA was handing out bans to whoever they felt like for whatever reason they felt like. Talking shit about them in the forums, talking shit about them on other sites... one guy even got banned for, I kid you not, posting a video on YouTube of a Battlefield 3 session in which some other guy was having an Angry German Kid hissy-fit. I think it's safe to say that Blizzard isn't that far gone yet, and frankly I'd like to see this sort of thing implemented over on Steam.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Geisterkarle said:
Candidus said:
Geisterkarle said:
How do they know, that someone cheated already, if they bought a new game!?
They can tell if your debit or credit card is the same or if the associated bank details used for verification (name and address) are the same.
They do what!?
Ok, I haven't played SC2 in a while and don't know what changed ... since when do I have to put my address somewhere to play a game? If this is a thing, this company is dead to me!
Mailing address for purchases, credit card information. All the usual stuff you put in when setting up payment information for anything.

James Theesfeld

Jul 8, 2013
This is actually really interesting because it brings to light something we don't actually talk about when it comes to software: Licensing.

It turns out that you don't actually own the software you purchase. Depending on the wording you might not actually even own the disc it came on. What you have is a license to use the software. That's why it's called an End User License Agreement, and not an End User Ownership Agreement.

Bioware, or any other software manufacturer/distributor, can more or less do anything they want to the software you have licensed. Is it right and fare to lock you out of content you paid for? I don't know. That's something that we as consumers need to figure out. But is it within their legal ability to do so? Hell yeah it is.

Now there might come a time when this gets taken to court (well, not this, nobody cares, but the idea of ownership of software) and changed. It flies in the face of common sense. But it hasn't happened yet.

sconstantin

Aug 20, 2010
I do not understand. Why would someone who cheats use the account where they have their other Blizzard games? If I would intend to cheat I would make a separate Battle.net account for Overwatch only. Buy it on something like G2A or Kinguin so no credit card data for Blizzard to cross check. I also think this is the way to bypass the ban. New account, fake name and address, games added only as game keys (no buying in the Blizzard online store, buy physical copy / reseller key) and they should be good to go.

Nov 28, 2007
I wonder if the cheers for banning cheaters from all games on their Battlenet account would be just as loud if EA announced they would ban cheaters on SWTOR from all of their Origin games.

Jan 27, 2011
I'll throw in my McCree hat here with the "They'd better have a VERY good system including human judgement And avoid False Positives at all costs, and have a good appeals process" if they're gonna be that harsh.

Assuming there are no false positives, I'm all for it. Multiplayer cheaters piss me the hell off to no end.

I have not forgotten back when I was a League Player and would do "Twisted Treeline 3v3 Bot" games for my Win of the day. Every few matches, I'd end up with one of my 3 team members being a braindead bot. Like, literally, all it would do is Attack-Move to the enemy base, and sometimes spam skills at random. The way to know for sure if it was a bot? It would try to tank Tower shots with no minions. NO player is so dumb that they'll just right click a tower and let it hit then 7 times to death, and then do it AGAIN LATER.

And frequently, I'd end up in a match with 2 bots. That was unbearable. See, if you only have 1 dumb bot on your team, you can compensate and keep them from dying to their own stupidity sometimes. If you have TWO bots in a 3v3 game, your punk ass is not able to make up for it without a massive effort. Like, we're talking taking a 10-15 minute AI stomp and turning it into an HOUR LONG struggle as you essentially 1v3 the enemy team.

So, I'd be faced with the same decision each time. Either spend an hour (and flip a coin on whether I win or lose) on what was supposed to be a quick fun match and report the Bot players (in which case if they got banned big whoop, it was a free to Play game, so the company farming these bots can just go "oh well" and make a new account anyway), or disconnect, and now I'M the guy getting punished and I can't even report the bot players.

...So yeah. I hate cheaters. I hate hackers. I am fine with these assholes getting smacked with a hammer. But I DO worry about accidental accusations, or hackers who manage to insert something into other player's games somehow and causing THEM to get banned, A LA Dark Souls 3. :s

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Elfgore said:
I laughed way to damn hard that picture. That's the funniest shit I've seen all week.
You think that was good?

I'm loving these parodies.