Overwatch Christmas Comic Reveals First LGBT Character

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
MeatMachine said:
Karadalis said:
One can never please SJW. They will ALLWAYS find some way to ***** about things.
That's common knowledge. It's never been about improving the world - its only ever been about controlling other people through guilt, self-imposed victim status, and whining to authority figures to destroy the people they don't like on their behalf.
That's the single best description of "progressives" I've ever read"

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
All I can see is people being happy about this, really. The only ones who seem to be complaining are dudes mourning their waifu.

"SJW's are never happy"
(Meanwhile much rejoicing from people normally labelled as SJW's)

Still. It's cool. I'm really enjoying the comics. Some people didn't like the fact that they're so separate from the game, but I kinda like it. That way you can still play the game if you're not interested in the story and you have the comics if you are.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Phasmal said:
All I can see is people being happy about this, really. The only ones who seem to be complaining are dudes mourning their waifu.

"SJW's are never happy"
The point was that some people think it's great but also think the men aren't allowed to like it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
MHR said:
Phasmal said:

"SJW's are never happy"
The point was that some people think it's great but also think the men aren't allowed to like it.
I just don't know why you'd post what is essentially "Not everyone is 100% happy with everything".
You can find people complaining about literally anything and everything. If you look for people complaining, you're gonna have a bad time. For example, gamer dudes are both happy about this and also there are gamer dudes crying over their waifu.
Therefore:
One can never please gamer dudes?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
True. Can't please 'em. That's been the main focus that a lot of them can't accept it. And 2 people here just noting that others think it's too safe and that it's motivated by male gaze and homophobia by even some people that are all for it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
MHR said:
True. Can't please 'em. That's been the main focus that a lot of them can't accept it. And 2 people here just noting that others think it's too safe and that it's motivated by male gaze and homophobia by even some people that are all for it.
I dunno, man, it's almost like people have different opinions on shit. It's crazy.

You'll never please everyone, it would be ridiculous to suggest that anybody stop trying. Most people are happy about it, so that's pretty cool.

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
Phasmal said:
MHR said:
I dunno, man, it's almost like people have different opinions on shit. It's crazy.

You'll never please everyone, it would be ridiculous to suggest that anybody stop trying. Most people are happy about it, so that's pretty cool.
that or indifferent, honestly i don't really give two squirts of piss what the the sexual orientation of these characters are, and i think more people don't than do (though my GM mind is saying that they are going to use them as plot fodder/blackmail)

personally, i'm more interested in the Roadhog/junkrat image of them at Luna park, and wondering if its at the Sydney or Melbourne one and more interested in story's about them

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MHR said:
008Zulu said:
A thought has occurred to me; Unless it has some bearing in the game, what's the point of making a character gay?
I dunno, what good is story to a game? Bioshock Infinite would be one of the worst over-hyped shooters in history without it.
BioShock Infinite tells a story. Overwatch doesn't.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
OK, so Trecer is gay. What's the big deal? Is she too gay? Is she not gay enough? Is a chick coming home to her girlfriend in a supplemental material really that big of a deal? Imagine this same comic, but instead of a redhead girl, Tracer came home to a good looking auburn-haired dude. Would this be alright? If that would be alright, why isn't this alright?

Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand how this is a bad thing. I can't understand how this is a thing to being with. Why is this such a big issue? If her sexual orientation was being shoved into the forefront of her character in-game, maybe I'd see how it might be an issue. But as it stands, I honestly don't get it...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Nobody says it's a bad thing. It's just a thing that happened, nothing more.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
erttheking said:
Not safe as such, but safe as compared to other kinds of representations. You bet people would've looked different to a gay Roadhog, or even a gay Ana. But so damn often it's the cute pixie girl. So safer choice is a better way of putting it.

Ah well, representation is great regardless. I'd have liked it to be a more surprising choice, or have her be bi-sexual or something. Baby steps and such I suppose. But it's cool man.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
erttheking said:
*Everyone talking about how lesbians are safe*

Yeah, right. Tell me, how many other AAA games have made the character who acts as the face of the their game openly gay? Because I can't think of a single one. Yeah, real safe move. That's why Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Chell, Alyx Vance, and all the other iconic women of gaming are all gay. Because it's such a safe move. And you're talking about how gay guys aren't depicted as much as gay women? Once again, people can only ever seem to bring this up to rain on someone else's parade. Outside of that situation, no one seems to actually care.
Mass Effect 1 and 2 had lesbian relationship options, and nobody gave a damn. Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 had male gay relationship options, and people were up in arms about it. It became an issue the moment they crossed the line between "hot... girls gone wild action" to "gross... two guys naked".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Eh, I would have to argue otherwise. People have been really sore about LGBT relationships in particular. Every time it happens it's "teh agenda."

You're kind of missing the point. Yes, they put in a mono-gendered race that was appealing to the male eye, but they didn't have the balls to go all out and say that Shepard was gay. The take away that I get from that is that girl on girl is easy, having someone who is truly homosexual isn't so much.

*Shurgs* Fuck it I say. This is a step in the right direction, I'm happy with it, and everyone keeps telling me that teh evil SJW Feminazis are never happy with anything game companies do, and right now I'm more than happy to prove them wrong.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
hermes said:
erttheking said:
*Everyone talking about how lesbians are safe*

Yeah, right. Tell me, how many other AAA games have made the character who acts as the face of the their game openly gay? Because I can't think of a single one. Yeah, real safe move. That's why Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Chell, Alyx Vance, and all the other iconic women of gaming are all gay. Because it's such a safe move. And you're talking about how gay guys aren't depicted as much as gay women? Once again, people can only ever seem to bring this up to rain on someone else's parade. Outside of that situation, no one seems to actually care.
Mass Effect 1 and 2 had lesbian relationship options, and nobody gave a damn. Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 had male gay relationship options, and people were up in arms about it. It became an issue the moment they crossed the line between "hot... girls gone wild action" to "gross... two guys naked".
Not...exactly. They had a non-gendered species that wasn't technically female, that just happened to look female. Therefore Shepard wasn't technically gay...good fucking god that was stupid.

There's actually a Trope for this.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscountLesbians

I fully admit that people get pissy when it comes to sausage sucking, but I just don't think that clam eating is 100% safe. If it was, the FemShepXTali relationship wouldn't have been taken out of the trilogy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Cowabungaa said:
erttheking said:
Not safe as such, but safe as compared to other kinds of representations. You bet people would've looked different to a gay Roadhog, or even a gay Ana. But so damn often it's the cute pixie girl. So safer choice is a better way of putting it.

Ah well, representation is great regardless. I'd have liked it to be a more surprising choice, or have her be bi-sexual or something. Baby steps and such I suppose. But it's cool man.
Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to get across. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, a minor interesting note, apparentlty there is an NSFW tumblr artist OC made a cameo in that comic.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
erttheking said:
You're kind of missing the point. Yes, they put in a mono-gendered race that was appealing to the male eye, but they didn't have the balls to go all out and say that Shepard was gay.

The take away that I get from that is that girl on girl is easy, having someone who is truly homosexual isn't so much.
Well first of, Bioware isn't very good at relationships period. And secondly, seeing as Shepard doesn't have any distinguishing characteristics I don't see why they would exactly need to have her/him profess her/his gayness. I mean, should there be an express 'I'm gay' dialoge option? Wouldn't that come across through effectionate dialoge options?

One of the things I loved about Bill's character in The Last of Us was the fact that him having a relationship with a man took a backseat to what kind of relationship he had with that man. His orientation wasn't given any more of a spotlight than that of a straight character.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
erttheking said:
You're kind of missing the point. Yes, they put in a mono-gendered race that was appealing to the male eye, but they didn't have the balls to go all out and say that Shepard was gay.

The take away that I get from that is that girl on girl is easy, having someone who is truly homosexual isn't so much.
Well first of, Bioware isn't very good at relationships period. And secondly, seeing as Shepard doesn't have any distinguishing characteristics I don't see why they would exactly need to have her/him profess her/his gayness. I mean, should there be an express 'I'm gay' dialoge option? Wouldn't that come across through effectionate dialoge options?

One of the things I loved about Bill's character in The Last of Us was the fact that him having a relationship with a man took a backseat to what kind of relationship he had with that man. His orientation wasn't given any more of a spotlight than that of a straight character.
I personally disagree but that's neither here nor there. And what I mean is that Shepard can only express sexual interest in the technically not female Asari race in terms of lesbian relationships. Simply having Shepard being able to show interest in actually biologically female characters (Like Tali in that gutted ME2 relationship) would've avoided this whole mess.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that Discount Lesbians can go die in a fire.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscountLesbians