Overwatch Christmas Comic Reveals First LGBT Character

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
It's not like when DC made the Green Lantern gay just for the sake of appealing to the gay community
Minor correction, making Alan Scott gay was a way of rectifying one of the consequences of making him younger, the eliminating of his son Obsidian (one of DC's admittedly few gay characters) from canon. That's what the writer says at least.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Chareater said:
erttheking said:
And this is diversity for diversity's sake....because you say it is.
In my opinion this wasn't done to add depth to tracer's character it was just done to get diversity points.

As much as I love Overwatch I feel that they try to pander so hard with all characters to appeal to as many people as possible.

Can you really tell me blizzard made Tracer gay because they think that was best for the character or because they thought having a gay character would get them more attention?
Considering that Blizzard doesn't really need more attention and that this argument could be made for literally any character...

Yeah, they probably had Tracer as gay the whole time and this was the first opprutunity they had to show her have some quiet downtime with the GF.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Chareater said:
erttheking said:
And this is diversity for diversity's sake....because you say it is.
In my opinion this wasn't done to add depth to tracer's character it was just done to get diversity points.

As much as I love Overwatch I feel that they try to pander so hard with all characters to appeal to as many people as possible.

Can you really tell me blizzard made Tracer gay because they think that was best for the character or because they thought having a gay character would get them more attention?
Well they flat out said that one of their characters was LGBT some time ago. So I'm going to take a wild stab and say that she was always gay, or at the very least they took a lot of time to plan it out. The same way they planed out Ana coming back into Pharah's life and Pharah being glad to see her, despite the initial take on the lore being that Pharah was very mad at her mom.

And as much as people like to talk about people pushing quotas, I honestly feel like the opposite is the problem. You can't have your cast be TOO diverse. You can't include too many nationalities, people of different body types, age groups, sexual minorities, otherwise you get called out for pandering. (Because what you should've been doing is pandering to the same groups that always gets bloody pandered to apparently.)

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
erttheking said:
And as much as people like to talk about people pushing quotas, I honestly feel like the opposite is the problem. You can't have your cast be TOO diverse. You can't include too many nationalities, people of different body types, age groups, sexual minorities, otherwise you get called out for pandering. (Because what you should've been doing is pandering to the same groups that always gets bloody pandered to apparently.)
Actually I question how you can have different age groups and body types, depending on on the game. For example, if the design isn't taken into account, the hit boxes would be pretty weird. I mean what if everyone had Reapers hitbox including Zyar and Bastion? And it depends on the tone of the game; I can see a rocket powered wheelchair riding grandma/pa in a game like Overwatch but not in CoD(it would be funny though). The more "realistic" the game, the smaller the design space is(Middle aged, fit adults running driving, fighting, etc) unless you think/design differently. Go sillier like Overwatch, League, TF2, and more and you can get away with more ideas.

Granted this is more about small selection of game types l. And it still doesn't excuse mintorties, LGBT, and other representation in games.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
erttheking said:
Well they flat out said that one of their characters was LGBT some time ago. So I'm going to take a wild stab and say that she was always gay, or at the very least they took a lot of time to plan it out. The same way they planed out Ana coming back into Pharah's life and Pharah being glad to see her, despite the initial take on the lore being that Pharah was very mad at her mom.

Ah I didn't know they had planned to add a LGBT character for a while, if she was always planned to be gay then i'm not as bothered by it.

But I still feel if you make a game with too many diverse characters it makes the characters feel less real and more like they are there just to pander.

Yahtzee sums it up pretty well...

https://youtu.be/fc0u1-Liamk?t=4m53s

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Chareater said:
erttheking said:

Ah I didn't know they had planned to add a LGBT character for a while, if she was always planned to be gay then i'm not as bothered by it.

But I still feel if you make a game with too many diverse characters it makes the characters feel less real and more like they are there just to pander.

Yahtzee sums it up pretty well...

https://youtu.be/fc0u1-Liamk?t=4m53s
As opposed to having countless heterosexual white men? I remember when gaming was stuck in that rut and how people defended it to the death whenever someone who wanted to see a bit more variety spoke up. Now we're out of that rut and I'm in no hurry to get back into it because of some arbitrary diversity limit.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Karadalis said:
The really funny thing?

Jonathan "full" Mcintosh and Briana Wu are bitching about tracer being a "attractive" lesbian... because male gaze... and reasons.

You cant make this shit up... aparantly gay characters arent allowed to be attractive. Homophobic much?

One can never please SJW. They will ALLWAYS find some way to ***** about things.

Its not the right gay character.. why is it a lesbian? Why not some of the guys? Why not have a trans woman/man in your lineup? Why not a space firefox from the forestplanet?
It raises a fair point about lesbian depictions. There are exactly two kinds of lesbian shown in the majority of mainstream fiction; sexy hot lipstick lesbian or dumpy, screeching feminazi. It is fair to point out that Tracer (already acknowledged to be a male gaze barbie doll figure) locks lips with another stereotypically gorgeous woman. A lot of other Overwatch characters aren't exactly pretty, but fans would feel too "uncomfortable" with seeing those guys make out, or Tracer having anything less than a conventionally attractive girlfriend, so they went with the visually appealing option instead - that is to say, some progress is better than no progress, but like a lot of SJW types, I am able to admire the positives of something whilst criticising the negative. It's nice to have more lesbians, but less nice if most of those lesbians are there for the sake of - hurdur dats hot!! - viewing.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
[reads article]

Cool, i guess.

[reads comments]

Why are there more comments about the "outrage" than comments that are the "outrage"?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Chareater said:
But I still feel if you make a game with too many diverse characters it makes the characters feel less real and more like they are there just to pander
Honestly, that's entirely subjective. Of course a generation raised on cartoons and tv shows with a cast of four straight white dudes and one straight white girl (or two, if one is feminine and one is masculine) would find diversity "unrealistic". They don't know better.

It's like spicy food. If you ate spicy food all the time it wouldn't be spicy, but if you grew up eating mayonnaise on white bread anything is spicy. Ya know?

Make diverse media. People will adapt. Just like they adapted to black people on tv who weren't servants. And women on TV who weren't solely love interests.
Yeah, this is a pretty good way of saying it.

"Too many diverse characters" wtf. Non-straight people and non-white people and non-male people exist in large numbers in real life, how can you have "too many" of them??

Unless I need to call up a few of my friends and tell them we can't be friends any more because I already have one [insert characteristic here] friend and having two is unrealistic.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
MerlinCross said:
Yeah I'm happy there's more representation for them in Overwatch thanks to Tracer now but it still feels off to me thanks to AAA devs loving to focus test everything these days. Was it good for Tracer's story and background
What's your actual point here? We can only have gay characters if being gay is an obstacle and significant part of their background story? Why?

Unless you're writing a story about being gay or has a setting that would cause problems by being gay, how would anyones sexuality be good /or/ bad for their story and background? It's just her sexuality, people aren't defined by their sexuality.

I mean Tracers home life was the least interesting aspect of that comic. Who was Phara with? Who is the family Reaper is watching over? Who is in the picture Dad76 is looking at? Is Widowmaker recovering her lost memories when visiting that grave, or is she trapped within her own body when Talon require her? Why are McCree and Sombra in the same bar? Where can I see more of Torbs chubby Squirrel Cat?

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Chareater said:
But I still feel if you make a game with too many diverse characters it makes the characters feel less real and more like they are there just to pander
Honestly, that's entirely subjective. Of course a generation raised on cartoons and tv shows with a cast of four straight white dudes and one straight white girl (or two, if one is feminine and one is masculine) would find diversity "unrealistic". They don't know better.

It's like spicy food. If you ate spicy food all the time it wouldn't be spicy, but if you grew up eating mayonnaise on white bread anything is spicy. Ya know?

Make diverse media. People will adapt. Just like they adapted to black people on tv who weren't servants. And women on TV who weren't solely love interests.
Good point.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
elvor0 said:
MerlinCross said:
Yeah I'm happy there's more representation for them in Overwatch thanks to Tracer now but it still feels off to me thanks to AAA devs loving to focus test everything these days. Was it good for Tracer's story and background
What's your actual point here? We can only have gay characters if being gay is an obstacle and significant part of their background story? Why?

Unless you're writing a story about being gay or has a setting that would cause problems by being gay, how would anyones sexuality be good /or/ bad for their story and background? It's just her sexuality, people aren't defined by their sexuality.

I mean Tracers home life was the least interesting aspect of that comic. Who was Phara with? Who is the family Reaper is watching over? Who is in the picture Dad76 is looking at? Is Widowmaker recovering her lost memories when visiting that grave, or is she trapped within her own body when Talon require her? Why are McCree and Sombra in the same bar? Where can I see more of Torbs chubby Squirrel Cat?
Actually all those things you have asked will build upon the complaint I have.

Congrats Blizzard, you showed off a pretty nice comic that was nice for the holidays, revealed who was LGBT, and have left us with some questions about the characters. Care to build off that?

Tracer is Lesbian, but if they basically drop her girlfriend of the face of the earth, the point of showing that? If we never see who Phara was with, why show it in the first place? Widowmaker at the grave, is that gonna be expanded on? Was the McCree and Sombra thing just something they did on a whim or is it something more? The point of showing the big family of either Torbiorn or Reinhardt?

You're right characters are more than just their Sexuality. But anything big for the character you don't just toss away. Unless it's like a character saying "I like Blue" or something. I'd like to see more with Tracer and her girlfriend, doesn't have to be big. As I said either here or elsewhere, even a pose of her looking at a picture would be nice enough in game. I'd also love to find out more about Reinhardt and Torbjorn as well(Who's family is that) and could said family show up more in the future. Maybe in a Torbjorn short there'll be a picture frame with his family? Or maybe a spray for Reinhardt with a story book, that'd be cool. Do Mcree and Sombra have history back in Overwatch and they remain friends? Extra lines for them in game.

So to me all of the Christmas panels are either hints at what they might or might not do for fans, or just fluff that's never going to be touched on again. And if it's the fluff, to me I question why any of that is good for any character, outside of giving fanfics and artists more material to work with. Some fluff is fine yes, but I'd like to see more. Especially the Widowmaker and Reaper scenes. Before I was thinking about just Tracer but the majority now I want to see more about and maybe referenced in game. Because in game they are still killing clones of each other over a payload. The disconnect between Story and Game is real.

Oh and because I didn't mention them, Junkrat and Roadhog. Yes that's probably something they would do for the Holidays, joyriding/stealing cars, but really that's what you guys came up with? Everyone else gets something and those two are just pulling a Duke brothers? Again in character but wanted something more. I also have no idea what's up with Hanzo. Best I could come up with is that he's going to buy the cake for the kid next to him. Could have shown that off better or done something else.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Karadalis said:
Oh btw... the comic is blocked in russia because of anti gay laws... yayyyy
The same country that GamerGate assures us is "based" and is going to win the cultural war against SJW controlled America.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
MeatMachine said:
Karadalis said:
One can never please SJW. They will ALLWAYS find some way to ***** about things.
That's common knowledge. It's never been about improving the world - its only ever been about controlling other people through guilt, self-imposed victim status, and whining to authority figures to destroy the people they don't like on their behalf.
They learned from the best, what can I say.

I'll leave you to guess who I'm talking about with "The best".

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Czann said:
MeatMachine said:
Karadalis said:
That's common knowledge. It's never been about improving the world - its only ever been about controlling other people through guilt, self-imposed victim status, and whining to authority figures to destroy the people they don't like on their behalf.
That's the single best description of "progressives" I've ever read"
Then we're truly screwed, because traditionalists are no better.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
You misspelled Zarya twice, m8.

Sure that's an off-topic thing to point out, but imo there's not much to talk about when it comes to Tracer being gay, it's just kind of a shrug thing for me because I'm toootally progressive and stuff.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Smithnikov said:
Karadalis said:
The same country that GamerGate assures us is "based" and is going to win the cultural war against SJW controlled America.
We must travel in different GG circles. I'm not saying it didn't happen(Because god damn there's stupid people) I just don't think it's as wide spread as this seems to point it. Mind you, I've been away from anything GG related besides here, KYM and a few artists that might be "GG". So my experience is limited. It does suck though and this is something we should be mad and fight about.

Side note, is Russia the only country/nation that blocked it? I know of some other areas that might pull a stunt like that.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
MerlinCross said:
Smithnikov said:
Karadalis said:
We must travel in different GG circles. I'm not saying it didn't happen(Because god damn there's stupid people) I just don't think it's as wide spread as this seems to point it. Mind you, I've been away from anything GG related besides here, KYM and a few artists that might be "GG". So my experience is limited. It does suck though and this is something we should be mad and fight about.

Side note, is Russia the only country/nation that blocked it? I know of some other areas that might pull a stunt like that.
Go to the chans, you'll see what I mean.