Pachter Supports Ubisoft DRM

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This guy is from mars right?

He seems entirely out of touch when he says "game companies have no problem with you selling your game". Yes, yes, they do. Has he even been paying attention to the whole issue over used game sales and the like?

Oh, I have no real issue with his basic message about piracy, he's morally right about that. But at the same token he's totally off kilter about the industry he's defending and it's own greed and corruption. What's more DRM and Digital Downloads and such are not just intended to confront pirates, but also to limit one's control over their own property, ensuring they can't sell or transfer it, and punishing people who buy such games second hand by requiring them to buy codes to access the online, or pay an additional "project $10" type fee to get all the content that should have been part of the game.

What's more, I as a consumer have the right to make as many copies of a game that I own for my own purposes. Keeping archival backup copies of your (very expensive) game software used to be encouraged. Given the rights and power I used to have, I personally think it should be illegal for game companies to use any kind of copy protection, digital or otherwise, at all, as by it's very nature it limits what you can choose to do with your own property.

Do not misunderstand that point, while what I say abouve might make things easier for pirates, at the same time there *ARE* legitimate reasons for this.

Right now I feel it's the consumer's right to have a disc in hand, and the abillity to play their game 20 years later, even if the company making the game goes out of business. Right now, nothing protects users who buy a game only to see the collapse of the digital systems. Things like shutting down the online of "Halo 2" pretty much illustrate this problem, as arguably the rights of all those players were violated. There was no contract signed BEFORE they paid the fee for the game, the EULA is more or less powerless (or should be), and right now they can't access what they paid for because of a requirement that the company maintain online services to fully use the product. The situation with things like Ubisoft's DRM are even worse, Ubisoft goes out of business and people who bought their games are more or less screwed down the road, and if they fold, good luck with a lawsuit.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
LeonLethality said:
When a company sells you a game they have no problem if you resell it and someone else buys it and they have no problem if you give it away.
um... Anyone else see something wrong here? I don't think he has seen what companies are doing to prevent used game sales...
Actually, not all companies are against used sales. Some (EA being a recent example) are NOT trying to prevent used game sales. They are trying to figure out how to continue to capture revenue. Making the online portions tied to a code that can be purchased separately seems a good way to split online operating costs from the physical box.

Pachter's statement makes sense in light of the Doctrine of First Sale. He's cagily avoiding how one would re-sell a digital download. He still seems to get the main reasonable conclusion: overall, the gaming business is more stable if used games help smooth out revenue for retailers.

And, I'm sorry, it's his job to know a little bit more about game companies actions and future plans about used sales. That he's offered himself as a voice of reason in opining that used sales are not going away should give you hope.
That is just one of the ways the industry is fighting used games, they are just hiding it. Think about it for a second. Why does Alan Wake have over 200 collectibles? Why does Lost Planet 2 have achievements/trophies which will force you to play the campaign at least 5 times not to mention the countless hours you will need to play online? The answer is a simple one. They know about achievementwhores. They know there is a lot of people who will either rent or buy and trade as fast as possible to boost thier gamercard. The longer it takes the less likely it will hit the used game shelves.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
For the record, his analogy is incorrect. If you go to a store and steal something, you substract something. If you copy a game, it's just, well, a copy. There's no substraction, no 'theft' per say, only a sale that is not made. Potentially, because there's no guarantee that the person who copied the game would have bought it in the first place. I'm not saying it's not stealing at all, just that the analogy is wrong and I wish people would stop using it.

Also, he misses the point that paying customers are nowadays often affected by a worse quality of experience than 'pirates'. Pirates can play their game without having to bother to put the CD in the tray. They don't run into DRM issues which are too numerous to list (but do include servers being down making the game impossible to play, to name only the Ubisoft system). He also misses the point that every single DRM system to date has been cracked, including the latest versions of what Ubisoft uses.

Example: I just bought an Avatar BluRay. I cannot play it on my BluRay player because of the DRM system they use, and had to watch it in DVD quality (the DVD was bundled with the BluRay, I understand why now). People had similar issues with video games in the past.

I, for one, did not buy Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction, which I *wanted* to buy, as a protest to Ubisoft.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Maybe had he done 15 minute of research he'd know it doesn't work against pirates and just hurts the consumer.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Furism said:
For the record, his analogy is incorrect. If you go to a store and steal something, you substract something. If you copy a game, it's just, well, a copy. There's no substraction, no 'theft' per say, only a sale that is not made. Potentially, because there's no guarantee that the person who copied the game would have bought it in the first place. I'm not saying it's not stealing at all, just that the analogy is wrong and I wish people would stop using it.
This. It all depends of if a person buys a game or doesn't. If a person pirates a game they never intend to buy, there's no real lost sale because there was none to begin with. Still it's illegal, but as you said, Fur, it's a broken analogy.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I'd really have no problem supporting it myself if it were actually any good, by which i mean if it actually worked. In reality though it's just hugely restrictive while having absolutely zero purpose because it's still crackable. If you want to support that, go ahead and be that crazy person.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Pachter is an economist, you just can't argue with an economist, it's like arguing with a Fanatic, they think their reason is the utmost wonder, and there is no other system or idea that could be better than theirs.

in the end, pachter is Not a gamer, but a sellout.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Deshara said:
Woodsey said:
He either predicts stuff that any idiot's arse hole could work out, or he just says things that are stupidly wrong; he said something like that about PC gaming a few weeks ago which really got me pissed.
Oh, are you talking about when he said that PC gaming's minority hold in the gaming market means that many companies will overlook the need to develope for them because it brings in less sales?
Yeah, but that's not quite what he said.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I can't help but feel that Pachter has missed the point a little bit. People aren't upset that Ubisoft used DRM; it's that it's such a draconic system.
Almost everything the man says is completely 'off'. It almost seems unnecessary to make fun of him because he's such an easy target.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Nimbus said:
Looks like Generic Industry Loudmouth #1 has just lost all his credibility. It's pretty clear that he has no idea what he is talking about.
Yeeeah... this isn't about the pirates, this is about the legitimate customers who can't play the game because Ubisoft's system keeps crashing or because their network isn't PERFECT and don't REALLY own the copy that they paid good money for. Hell, I own a copy of Assassin's Creed 2; for the PS3, not for the PC, but the fact stands that I didn't pirate the fucking game and I object to this DRM. Why should people playing the game on PC get fewer rights than I do?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The ethics of piracy were never in question Pachter, the problem was that Ubisoft's method of fighting piracy was much more of an inconvenience for legitimate paying customers then it was for the pirates.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Trivun said:
I usually support Michael Pachter and think he has a very good idea of what the industry is all about. He's a great analyst and he's shown that time and again. But I cannot agree with him here. That said, I think everyone saying he's an idiot or dismissing his views offhand are completely ignorant and shouldn't have that opinion.

My reasoning? He doesn't fully understand the problem with gamers towards the DRM. And that's fine. All it means is that his ideas are wrong. What he says though, if you actually read his comments, are that he agrees with Ubisoft using the DRM to protect their product. Which I fully agree with too. He makes absolutely no reference to agreeing to the actual form of DRM used, and he doesn't make any opinion either way on the way it affects honest gamers. So I can see why people will disagree with his views, but really, he's not saying anything that wouldn't be agreed with by many other industry people. He's just stating that Ubisoft have every right to protect their IP, which is true, and something I agree with completely.

I don't agree with the form of DRM used, but even so, I still fully support Ubisoft's right to use DRM, and I still like Ubisoft as a firm to some degree (how can I not when they gave me the Assassin's Creed series?). But Pachter isn't wrong in his views here, just slightly underinformed. Which is no crime.
See that's the problem, you can't have it both ways. You cannot claim he is a great analyst and in the same breath say he doesn't understand one of the most basic arguments in the industry. A great analyst researchs something and then expresses their opinion, a bad analyst does only the latter.

I think people are mocking him for this comment not because they disagree, but because it shows ignorance in a supposed expert, and I'd say they are justified in their mockery.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
Pachter Supports Ubisoft DRM

"[...] I'm ethical and I'm a lawyer by trade[...]."

Ethical... lawyer... does not compute. Does not compute.

That out of the way, man, is he far off the mark here. Also it's poor debating skills to dismiss every counter argument as invalid and coming from thieves. I think the pirates are the only ones who don't mind Ubisofts DRM solution. The customers are another matter though.