Pachter Supports Ubisoft DRM

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I've always sort of thought Pachter, and analysts in general, were brilliant idiots who have found a way to get paid for doing practically nothing and making blanket statements about things they don't really understand.

After this comment from Pachter I can strike the "sort of" part from my mental impression, he's clearly talking out his ass and has no clue whatsoever regarding this atrocious DRM 'solution'.

News Flash to idiot pundits: The people complaining are not pirates. They are in fact the customers who want to purchase games, but find the ridiculously consumer-unfriendly DRM packaged alongside them impossible to swallow, and for good reason! If Ubisoft's approach ever becomes standard practice, I have grave concerns for the future of the PC game industry - punishing your customers for being paying customers is not a good business practice.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Void(null) said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The guys that ran bittorrent [sic] are in jail: it is illegal ... I think anything a publisher does to make sure you don't rip off their games is their right, and I think that people who steal should be in jail."
Bram Cohen [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Cohen], creator of BitTorrent and one of the people whom helped Valve develop Steam... and the 20 employees of BitTorrent Inc [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent,_Inc.] are in jail?

This is the first I have ever heard about it... Bram's Facebook page [http://www.facebook.com/#!/bram.cohen?ref=search&sid=fqb-YD9HF9vMykuPRkrPSw.3729674343..1] never said anything about this and if BitTorrent Technology suddenly became illegal then someone needs to inform Blizzard and Turbine before their patching system lands them in jail along side poor Bram.
-gives Void a high five- I'll send a message to Blizzard right away! If they get it in time, maybe they'll be able to move to Mexico and hunker down there until the heat blows over!

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
The dude's point would be fair if it weren't for the fact that in most cases, you can't even resell or give away a game you own these days. (At least in the PC market, but the way anti resell movements have increased in the past few years, I wouldn't be suprised if the console market goes the same way!)
You can blame Online activation for that....

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
What is the problem with just BUYING the game? I don't get it, they just don't want you to play their game for free. If no one bought their games they would go out of business. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. What is it about this system that makes them evil corporate devils?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This my friends is what I'd call the absolute lowpoint of corporate idiocy.

Alternately, you could relate this to Pachter putting his fingers in his ears and going "LALALALALALA UBI DRM IS GOOD I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA".

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Doxcology said:
What is the problem with just BUYING the game? I don't get it, they just don't want you to play their game for free. If no one bought their games they would go out of business. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. What is it about this system that makes them evil corporate devils?
Ubisoft's new POS DRM requires you be connected to the internet to play the game at all. It's been cracked so while legit paying customers suffer with the bullshit, people who pirated the game and crack are playing it fine and dandy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really cannot say I agree...I think its going to come down on top of them badly.

Steam, of all things, I think has the right ideaa, in principle

GabyB

Sep 10, 2009
They've already cracked DRM, so it fails anyway. I do pitty Ubisoft for doing this(investing and shit) but they won't stop software crackers. Its what they like to do and DRM was just a challenge for them.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Callex said:
In all honesty, Steam has given me more trouble than Ubisoft's DRM. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?
Lucky? I suppose... though Steam shouldn't be giving you trouble at all.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Alar said:
Void(null) said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The guys that ran bittorrent [sic] are in jail: it is illegal ... I think anything a publisher does to make sure you don't rip off their games is their right, and I think that people who steal should be in jail."
Bram Cohen [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Cohen], creator of BitTorrent and one of the people whom helped Valve develop Steam... and the 20 employees of BitTorrent Inc [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent,_Inc.] are in jail?

This is the first I have ever heard about it... Bram's Facebook page [http://www.facebook.com/#!/bram.cohen?ref=search&sid=fqb-YD9HF9vMykuPRkrPSw.3729674343..1] never said anything about this and if BitTorrent Technology suddenly became illegal then someone needs to inform Blizzard and Turbine before their patching system lands them in jail along side poor Bram.
-gives Void a high five- I'll send a message to Blizzard right away! If they get it in time, maybe they'll be able to move to Mexico and hunker down there until the heat blows over!
It may be too late for that! We may have to pull the plug on the entire internets!

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Steam has quite a lot of problems for people like.

1: Content server are too busy, please try again later. (This happens on downloading the game, starting the game so you can't do much about it. Quite a lot of people have a problem with this.)

2: Steam servers can go down and NO ONE have access to the games. So far that has happened 2 times. Sooooo many people whined about it btw. People have asked a lot what happens when Valve go down and what will happen with Steam. Because who knows, maybe they are assholes about it and don't patch it. You people think that if Ubisoft goes down the DRM server goes down as well.

3: People crash a lot with Steam and it seems to be Steam related.

Ubisoft DRM only wants you to be connected to the internet which most people on this forum do 24/7. So all they whine about is that single day when they might run out of internet connection for a few hours at most.

So for me all this rage from the gamers is kinda silly. Like way to silly because you'll never really have a problem with it. There is also this where the game might take around 10 hours to complete in one go and if you want to do the rest it might give you some extra hours. The odds you losing connection during this time is already small enough.

Also the crack didn't take effect until like 3 weeks after the release or maybe it was 4.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
"When a company sells you a game they have no problem if you resell it and someone else buys it and they have no problem if you give it away."

Bullshit.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100797-THQ-Joins-the-Used-Game-Fight
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100606-Used-Game-Sales-are-a-Bigger-Problem-Than-Piracy

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Zefar said:
Steam has quite a lot of problems for people like.

1: Content server are too busy, please try again later. (This happens on downloading the game, starting the game so you can't do much about it. Quite a lot of people have a problem with this.)

2: Steam servers can go down and NO ONE have access to the games. So far that has happened 2 times. Sooooo many people whined about it btw. People have asked a lot what happens when Valve go down and what will happen with Steam. Because who knows, maybe they are assholes about it and don't patch it. You people think that if Ubisoft goes down the DRM server goes down as well.
Hello, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you about one of Steams many features called "Offline Mode."

Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode

Hammer_Wizard

Dec 1, 2009
I cant understand why two screens are required rather than a split screen." He went on to say, "Everyone will produce at least one game on the DS in order to learn the mechanics, but if it launches with 12 games, it will look a lot like the N-Gage." (The DS would launch with six.) "I think that PSP will be a category killer with older gamers.

Indeed, the lackluster specter of Nokia's poorly received game deck is already hanging over the DS. Doubts about its very concept are rampant. "I can't understand why two screens are required rather than a split screen. If the device is a GBA SP with two screens, I don't think it will command much of a premium."
"We expect the dominant console at the end of the next cycle to be the Sony PlayStation 3 primarily due to our assessment that Sony will win the high definition DVD format war,"
"[World of] Warcraft is so good and so good-looking that it got this immediate attraction; everybody who would ever consider playing an online game said, 'This is the one. I gotta try it.' And what'll happen is inevitably, like the health club model, after you pay your 30 bucks a month for 3 or 4 months and you only go once a week, you realize it's not worth it and you split. That's what will happen with Warcraft ... I think it's going to roll back to a million. I'm not predicting it's going to happen in three weeks; I'd guess it has a half-life of 6 months to a year."

"I don't think there are four million people in the world who really want to play online games every month. World of Warcraft is such an exception. I frankly think it's the buzz factor, and eventually it will come back to the mean, maybe a million subscribers. It may continue to grow in China but not in Europe or the U.S. We don't need the imaginary outlet to feel a sense of accomplishment here. It just doesn't work in the U.S. It just doesn't make any sense."
"PS3 will command the greatest market share for the next generation. But this console cycle will be a dead heat, and each manufacturer will have sufficient market share to generate significant profits."

"Notwithstanding the efforts of the three console manufacturers to deliver compelling exclusive content, we expect the ultimate outcome of the console wars to be decided by the motion picture studios. Should the studios embrace Sony?s Blu-ray standard for high-definition DVDs, we think Sony will gain an insurmountable advantage over Microsoft; should the studios embrace Sony rival Toshiba?s HD-DVD format, we think that Microsoft can maintain its first mover advantage and will dominate software sales for years to come."
"Ultimately, we see Sony winning the console war with 36% of the market, with Nintendo capturing second place at 34% and Microsoft finishing third at 30%."
"Consumers may hope for improved graphics, and my guess is that Nintendo will comply. In two or three years, commodity prices for graphics processors and CPUs may decline to the point that a High Definition Wii could be introduced. If so, Nintendo will likely introduce one."
All Michael Pachter quotes. I am constantly amazed every time I see anyone ask him his opinion. It is less reliable than a coin flip.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Nimbus said:
Looks like Generic Industry Loudmouth #1 has just lost all his credibility. It's pretty clear that he has no idea what he is talking about.
You seem to be inferring that Pachter ever had any credibility to begin with. This guy has made a career out of being a total moron and being perpetually wrong about everything.

Course, that's what most analysts do anyway, but that's besides the point.

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
I love the Splinter cell games but I can't bring myself to buy the new ones as my Net is patchy at best as i live in the ass end of nowhere

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
This mans view seems to be slightly ignorant of the consumers feelings on the DRM system.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
teh_gunslinger said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Pachter Supports Ubisoft DRM

"[...] I'm ethical and I'm a lawyer by trade[...]."

Ethical... lawyer... does not compute. Does not compute.

That out of the way, man, is he far off the mark here. Also it's poor debating skills to dismiss every counter argument as invalid and coming from thieves. I think the pirates are the only ones who don't mind Ubisofts DRM solution. The customers are another matter though.
The only thing certain to cause a rip in space-time besides the divide-by-zero error; the lawyer moral error.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Void(null) said:
Hello, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you about one of Steams many features called "Offline Mode."

Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:
I know about the mode as I have used Steam for quite some time. But during the time when the official steam servers went down people had problem gaining access to Offline mode. So they where completely locked out of their accounts.

But then again people have these connection issues with games that they want to play Online which makes Offline mode kinda useless.

It's also quite common in fact.