Pachter: Xbox Live Gold Will Get More Expensive

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
ffxfriek said:
i dont need to play with XBL pricks anyhow.
Hate to tell you this, but there are pricks everywhere. So running to the PS3 will lead to the same result, You getting ear raped by a bunch of kids. Least it'll be free...

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
How would you even justify such a move? "We're going to arbitrarily double the price you've been paying for the last seven or so years. Just cause, y'know."

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
While they are greedy (evident by avatar market place that can cost as much as arcade games for worthless crap) I do not think so in terms of subscription fee. 50$ a YEAR. Thats less than all MMOs.
Maybe its not they are greedy, but you're just cheap.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
well... lets say they do, I think they would piss off a lot of person. Especially seeing as its main competitor, the PS3 offers it for free. Don't get me wrong, for me, I understand why they currently charge for xbox live, you can see the quality of the dash board, party options... etc.

But, bold enough to almost double it... no way.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Right now it costs $60+taxes for the 13 month subscription so for $4.60 a month that's not a bad deal. However, having played on the PSN at a buddies house it's not a bad service either and it's free. Yes I still think xbox live is better.... BUT it's not so much better as to warrant a price increase.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Fuck that. That would just be the latest in a case of MS fucking over consumers. (Because seriously, what else have they done ever since they were founded?)

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Meh, that's fine.

If they do double the price I'll just play all my online games on another platform. Sure I can afford Live even if they doubled it, but I'm not a sucker.

I'm sure many others would refuse to pay that much for Live too.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
No one will pay that much, MS will have to drop the price soon to compete with PSN and that nintendo thing, if they raise the price, they may loose nearly all their XBL gold customers.
FFS Bill Gates you're worth more than Ghana! You can take a little drop in profit margins.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
While I can see the possibility of a "Platiunum" service coming out I just can't imagine Microsoft raising Gold to 100 bones a year. They know there would be a huge consumer backlash if they did. If anything Microsoft, being who they are, would create a Platinum service charge say $70 or $80 and then drop the price of Gold to say $30. Then they can go on a huge advertising spree on who XBL is now cheaper, yada, yada, yada.

Flipscore

Jul 23, 2008
ffxfriek said:
then id stope being for the 360 and run to the ps3 because i can. im gettin a ps3 anyway and i dont need to play with XBL pricks anyhow. and im not paying more hten 50$ for a year of it.
You could buy XBox live for 6 Years at it's current price and 3 years at $100 for the cost of a new PS3. 6. Years. 2015/2016. 6 Years.

People, it's $50 a Year. If you saved 25 cents a day for every day you had Xbox Live service, you'd have $98.75 (12+1 Month subscription) Which is nearly enough to pay for 2 more years of service.

I happen to be a person living on a very low income and even I think complaining about $50 per year is insane.

Caprice0083

Jun 24, 2009
Oh brother, 50 buck increase is not going to happen. And 50 bucks a year is a drop in the bucket, don't you think it takes money to maintain and pay people to maintain the Xbox live service and the servers that support it!? and pay for the internet access and bandwith they use so you can connect to those servers!? nothing is this world is truly free, unfair sometimes yes but free? no. So get over it. Just because PSN is free for you doesn't mean it doesn't cost Sony so it isn't totally free period.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
Xbox Live hasn't been making money because the people it's competing with are offering the exact same service for free (correct me if I'm wrong, PSN is free, yes?).

If M$ wanted to make more money, they'd lower/abolish XBL's price, and then charge more for points/make points less valuable.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Meh... Pachter is an idiot. Don't expect me to take seriously a guy that insisted that WiiHD was just around the corner. To call that guy an analyst is an insult to the real analysts. As for Microsoft, that would be too dumb of a move to make. While it would seem that they could just increase the price and nobody would notice, here is a piece of advice before even thinking of this: NEVER take anything for granted. An advice that many companies could use.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I know MS is dumb but not nearly that dumb. I'm already against paying to be called homophobic, and racial slurs online, so if MS did do that it's just more ammo for me.
Also that would kill tons of already loyal subscribers. $50 isn't that bad but bumping it to $100 would be just out of line.

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
Apackof12Ninjas said:
Christemo said:
another of many reasons not to get a 360 and especially Gold Live. ill stick with my future ps3 and its free internet.
Wait since when was the whim of a analyst guessing whether or not a service will double their price a reason to not buy a 360???

Thats honestly one of the worst excuse's Ive heard to date.

Might as well have said "I dont like 360's because I like PS3's cause its better"

as much as they like to say it's a "better value" i can do all the same stuff with the PS3 for online as they can do with live AND it's free. so really raising the price when others is free is stupid and going to cost them in the end because people won't want to buy their consoles if they have to pay to get online, when the other 2 are free
Almost stopped reading your post at M$ (such petty Sony fanboy hatred /facepalm)

Like I said I dont see them raising the price of it as XBL makes them tons of cash not only on user service fees but on tons of down loadable content. So there is no real need for more money making when they are already making a killing.

As for Sonys "free" service. I wouldnt count on that for too much longer, They might be making a comeback with the PS3 Slims but nothing is free and sooner or later they will have to start charging for their online service. Especially if they want to keep up with what XBL offers.

Flipscore said:
ffxfriek said:
then id stope being for the 360 and run to the ps3 because i can. im gettin a ps3 anyway and i dont need to play with XBL pricks anyhow. and im not paying more hten 50$ for a year of it.
You could buy XBox live for 6 Years at it's current price and 3 years at $100 for the cost of a new PS3. 6. Years. 2015/2016. 6 Years.

People, it's $50 a Year. If you saved 25 cents a day for every day you had Xbox Live service, you'd have $98.75 (12+1 Month subscription) Which is nearly enough to pay for 2 more years of service.

I happen to be a person living on a very low income and even I think complaining about $50 per year is insane.
Quoted for truth

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
just stop paying. I quit live when they started charging for DLC. Remember when DLC on live was FREE because you paid for the system, game, live kit, and live service? now you pay for everything on it.

I mean c'mon, its like paying for cable, movie channels and still having to pay someone to watch something on HBO