Pacific Rim Beaten by Adam Sandler at Box Office

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
rhizhim said:
everyone in russia looks like zangief

and its as original as the russian jäger (why do they keep using german words?) dude pilots natural blond hair.
Oh lol, and let me guess, they are killed off like 15 minutes into the film because Russians make great casualties.

My ex told me the other day she was invited to watch this film by an acquaintance of hers. I thought inviting a girl you fancy to watch a huge mecha drama is a very adorable thing to do so I said go for it. Hope she does.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Ugh, more master geek race nonsense. It's worse than master PC race.

News flash; some people have different preferences.

Personally I prefer the light hearted tone from films like Grown Ups and Despicable Me. I wouldn't want to go and see their crappy sequels at the cinema though.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm sorry, but I can't feel excited for this film when the ONLY good thing people have got to say is 'it has giant machines punching giant monsters', like that's supposed to be something awesome. Which it's not. We've had 3 Transformers films already.

Actually, the fact that it's supposedly a brain dead film which, targeting the supposed 'geek' generation, kinda implying geeks are all shallow-minded, makes me not want this to be a success story anyway.

That being said, it's tragic when anything in the cinema is beaten by Adam Sandler.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Yeah, the reviews I've seen are pretty masturbatory. It isn't that good. The main characters' robot does almost all the fighting and it is utterly predictable. I think that it being full of cliches was intentional, but it means that you will never be surprised. It was entertaining, but it was not the second coming of Jesus.
A movie can be great without surprise. I wasn't particularly wanting to go see Despicable Me 2, I'm just not a kids movie type of person, but since my friends decided to go see it, I did go with them. I pretty much saw everything that happened in that movie coming a mile away. It was very predictable.

Yet....I still laughed my ass off, enjoyed it immensely, and say it is a great movie and a must see.

Seriously, if I had to be surprised by everything and everything had to be ground-breaking for me to call it great, amazing, and wonderfully entertaining to me, I would be an extremely bored as well as boring person. Really it isn't about how surprising a movie is, it is about how well a movie does old concepts.

I will be going to see Pacific Rim next week, an considering I don't need to be "surprised", I'm most likely going to love it, and probably as much as everybody else that is gushing over it.

Pretty much as Bob said about Pacific Rim, it is refreshing to see new IP in an industry that seems to not know how to make new IP anymore and is just relying on remakes sequels.

Considering how the things like J.J. Abrams trashing up the Star Trek franchise happens these days, I wish more movie makers would just go to the drawing board and make something new, new I.P., even if it uses predictable points from other movies.

Off-T: Seriously though, we need to run J.J. Abrams out of the industry, or at least make it so he can only work on movies that are 100% of his own making and bar him from doing "re-imaginings". Seriously, that guy and his team of writers are worth crap, when it comes to working on existing I.P., they don't know the meaning of the word respect, the only word they know is ruin.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:

Personally I prefer the light hearted tone from films like Grown Ups and Despicable Me. I wouldn't want to go and see their crappy sequels at the cinema though.
Actually, Despicable Me 2 makes the list of sequels that are actually better than the original.

I saw it yesterday and I have to say it is better than the first.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Fulbert said:
Oh lol, and let me guess, they are killed off like 15 minutes into the film because Russians make great casualties.

My ex told me the other day she was invited to watch this film by an acquaintance of hers. I thought inviting a girl you fancy to watch a huge mecha drama is a very adorable thing to do so I said go for it. Hope she does.
They and the Chinese pilots barely get any lines. Plus the Russians are of course monstrous ubermensches (Sasha being played by 5'9" Heather Doerksen and Aleksis by 7' wrestler Robert Maillet). I will give for having the central characters being comprised of two Aussies, a Brit, a Japanese woman, and ONE American...but at the end of the day the American is the main character.

Anyway, hopefully this has legs. Apparently it's been kicking ass in Asia. I would like to see a sequel if just to see what other Jaeger designs they could come up with.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Anachronism said:
WHAT.

This makes me sad. I won't deny that Pacific Rim had plenty of problems - overall I was a bit disappointed by it if I'm honest - but the Hong Kong battle alone is worth the price of admission. The only big summer blockbuster this year that's an original IP and it's beaten by goddamn Grown Ups 2?

If the sequel does happen, I think Gipsy Danger should casually step on Adam Sandler at some point.
Actually, if we were to get another Pacific Rim film, I would say a prequel would fit much better than a sequel.
True enough. Given the ending, it's kind of hard to see how they'd do a follow-up. I wasn't expecting it to wrap itself up quite so thoroughly, since I assumed that WB would want to turn this into a new franchise. Still, the mid-credits scene, which must be a parody of the usual credits sequel tease, was an excellent joke. Del Toro has actually discussed the possibility of a sequel as well, and what we might see in it. Potentially interesting stuff.
"The main idea that we're bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions."

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
All of this rage is absolutely hilarious. Was it this bad when the Expendables beat out Scott Pilgrim?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Actually, Despicable Me 2 makes the list of sequels that are actually better than the original.

I saw it yesterday and I have to say it is better than the first.
Well that's good news. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably go and watch it before it goes to DVD.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I like all of the people shouting about how "disgusting" this is or how they've lost their faith in humanity.

Because people would rather watch a shitty movie. OH NO, SOCIETY IS COLLAPSING. WE ARE ALL DOOMED BECAUSE PEOPLE STILL THINK ADAM SANDLER IS FUNNY FOR SOME REASON.

Seriously, every Sandler movie to come out in the last... many years has looked utterly awful, but I can't say this movie looked great either. And certainly, choosing one over the other isn't going to destroy humanity as a whole, as half of the people here seem to be saying. Obviously the only way not to destroy us all is to see neither.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
I like all of the people shouting about how "disgusting" this is or how they've lost their faith in humanity.

Because people would rather watch a shitty movie. OH NO, SOCIETY IS COLLAPSING. WE ARE ALL DOOMED BECAUSE PEOPLE STILL THINK ADAM SANDLER IS FUNNY FOR SOME REASON.

Seriously, every Sandler movie to come out in the last... many years has looked utterly awful, but I can't say this movie looked great either. And certainly, choosing one over the other isn't going to destroy humanity as a whole, as half of the people here seem to be saying. Obviously the only way not to destroy us all is to see neither.
It's more a case of "people seem to like what I don't more than what I do, and therefore society is doomed."

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I hated hearing this... I felt like the movie deserved way better for its opening. I took my oldest son to see it and we absolutely LOVED it!

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Moviebob said it once; when someone refers to the average moviegoer, what they're talking about is

So. . .yeah. . ."HAHAHA FAT MAN FALL DOWN COS HE'S FAT AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Goes to show you just how many mindless morons and kids inhabit the earth.

I intend to boost the UK's sales at least by seeing it again this weekend, and then next weekend at the IMAX.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Demagogue said:
Oh me oh my... I can't wait to see Movie Bob rip this factoid apart on Tuesday... We finally get an awesome movie and people go and see freaking Grownup 2 instead?! This is why we end up with shitty movies... :(
If you want a preview, you can go look up his stuff around the time Scott Pilgrim/The Expendables came out.

Personally, I thought Scott Pilgrim sucked due to Michael Cera. MovieBob thought differently.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
And THIS, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things!

EDIT: Ha! You beat me to that one.

Irridium said:
Grown Ups 2 beat Pacific Rim.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Still true, though.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
rofltehcat said:
But... to watch it I'd have to go outside...

I'm still looking forward to watch it and I guess this is mainly because the mainstream didn't know about this enough. Being beaten by Despicable Me 2 isn't really a shame but Grown Ups 2? Really??? Did they buy their own tickets like some music companies bought their own cds?

But on the other hand, how can they not release it at the same time everywhere? Even in huge markets like Germany we have to wait one week. While I don't need to see it right away, I fear some people may resort to watching those horrible pirate versions.

And waiting one week is basically nothing. They are waiting until Semptember 12th in Greece! Is this some kind of joke? By then everyone will have pirated it.
Movies generally don't get pirated until the DVD releases. Unless a reviewer copy gets out (and that's quite rare), all they can pirate until then are the shitty cam videos and not many people are happy to watch that (not saying some people don't, but most of the pirates wait for a decent DVD rip). So it's more or less safe for 3 months, which beats out even that Greek release.

Also, consider the notion not everyone's into giant mecha robots and stuff. Personally, I'm not and when I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim, my thought wasn't "oh sweet", but "meh, boring action crap with giant robots". No offense to anyone - I understand why you'd appreciate it, but it's just not my cup of tea. I might still give it a look thanks to all the positive reviews, but even if I decided to, I'd need to find someone to go with and I don't know a single person who's into it either (and I know a bunch of geeks and non-geeks who like geek movies)