Pacific rim people. Get some excitement going :)

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
The trailer looked good, the monsters looked interesting and it was a different take on the disaster film...
Until the robots showed up. Really? Iron Man/Transformers styled money-grab? I don't like those films and I don't like the fact that some childish 'super-robot' is being used to fight the monsters. It just seems like a fighting film, when it could have been interesting and had depth.
Well, the robots are there because they are an integral part of the evolution of the kaiju stories from Japan. They could have shucked them and did a more traditional kaiju story of man vs nature, but even in the old films they pretty quickly evolved the genre into giant monster vs giant monster. The addition of mecha to the formula gave the humans more agency. It can be done in a childish way, and for this movie it likely is, but the addition of giant robots is not necessarily childish in itself if you can touch on themes of man's ability to conqueor nature through innovation and the good and bad that comes from that.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
It's Guillermo del Toro doing an homage to mecha anime and Kaiju movies. I'm hyped as hell for it.

And honestly, the Evangelion parallel thing makes me want to see it more. It's obviously a giant heart shaped letter to the entire genre. I don't think references and homages count as "ripping off" something.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Gorrath said:
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Yeah nope. Looks awful and boring. You know what I am excited for? The Wolverine.
To each his own of course and complete respect to your feelings, but this statement made me do a double take. I cannot fathom how the latter part of your statement preceded the former without irony.
Haha, I'll admit my statement is a bit hypocritical. The important part is boring to me. I've no personal interest in the film. Wolverine, on the other hand I do.
Indeed, and as an individual who's whole introduction to comic books was Uncanny X-Men, I can share in your desire to see Wolverine. For me it's just that X-3 and the first solo Wolverine movie were so very awful that it actually angered me. I can't get pumped for this new Wolverine movie at all, and the trailer did nothing to help that. I wouldn't call you a hypocrite myself, I just found the whole idea of being turned off by Pacific Rim whilst being hyped for Wolverine to be boggling. I assure you the failing is my own.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Will be entertaining. Don't have high expectations about any value beyond seeing huge-ass mechs duke it out with even larger monsters.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
It looks like it'll be a very fun movie but I'm not expecting it to blow me away.

I do look forward to it, just not to the point of discussing it at length.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'm exicted. I try and get excited about a lot of things now because it makes life a lot more interesting. I got more and more cynical as I aged, but now I'm finding I'm becoming a lot less so about some things. Which is nice, as I was always really jaded. Now I'm getting giddy about things and counting down the days to things and it makes me happy. I don't have high expectations for the movie, but it'll be a good (hopefully 2 hour) escape from reality that just makes me happy to watch.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
'It's silly. Things of that size couldn't walk. That oil tanker would collapse under it's own weight. Why not just use bombs?'

Fortunately, I don't care about these kinds of complaints, because this is a film about giant fucking robots punching giant fucking monsters in the face. When that's your starting point there's very little that can take me out of the film.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
A couple of things about this movie knock my enthusiasm for it down.

1- Rocket punch... really? I've always thought this was a stupid thing regardless of where it was used.

2- (this is last I heard, so it may be inacurate or changed... I really hope I'm wrong on this) The control scheme is 2 pilots, one controlling the left half and one controlling the right half. This is absolutely stupid. That is such a terrible idea for controls that it baffles me that they even considered it. (imagine trying to type under stress with someone else and each of you gets half the keyboard... it's not going to work worth a crap)

When I first heard about this movie I had hopes for it, but this stuff really makes me roll my eyes. I hope it's good though, I'll end up watching it eventually, and I really hope that the good outweighs the bad.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
slacker09 said:
Are you implying that Godzilla was bad?
I am implying that Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was dumb, but not ALL Godzilla movies are bad, its just after making 24 of the damn movies your going to have a lot of them that aren't good.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
RobotDinosaur said:
Nimzabaat said:
rhizhim said:
if they are really that advanced why havent they mounted a big ass gun or swords on these mechas?

btw evangelion /whatchagonnadonow?
That's one of my pet peeves for Pacific Rim. Giant robot built to punch things? That and needing two pilots to do everything in tandem is the stupidest thing i've seen since they turned Silver Samurai into a robot. I was excited when I first heard about it, now not so much.
I was inclined to agree, then saw some brief 'making of' video that explained it in a way that wasn't totally nonsense. Something about direct neural connections between the pilot and machine, and how the machines are so huge that they fry the brain of a solo pilot, hence the need for two. Not exactly high science, but enough that I'm willing to see what they do with it.

Also:
Starik20X6 said:
Using a cargo ship as a goddamn baseball bat? MUTHAFUCKIN' CHECK!
This.
See, I could get behind one person to operate the arms/legs, one person to operate weapon systems (except there don't seem to be any). It's the two people doing exactly the same thing at the same time to make the robot do anything that looks stupid. Why does a human pilot need to be the processor? We can build giant mechs but have forgotten how to make a computer? We have nearly autonomous drones right now. If we were fighting aliens with advanced technology, and they would virus up any computer built in the mech that might actually make sense, but I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

I really want this to be good but it looks like just another Transformers.

I'm also sick of the whole "washed out veteran and the talented rookie" thing. Can't we just go with people who are good at their jobs without some over-used underdog plotline?

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I just want it to be solid. I don't need it to be amazing, I just want to see big monster film to be viable again. I am crossing my fingers for this and Godzilla 2014.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
KevinHe92 said:
I am very, VERY excited for this film.

Idris Elba is in it.

Charlie Day is in it.

Del fuckin Toro is directing. If anything, I want this film to succeed just so Del Toro can finally get funding for his 'Into the Mouth of Madness' adaptation he wanted to do.
Agreed. Looks quite good.

It's actually an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
afroebob said:
slacker09 said:
Are you implying that Godzilla was bad?
I am implying that Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was dumb, but not ALL Godzilla movies are bad, its just after making 24 of the damn movies your going to have a lot of them that aren't good.
I will concede that there are many bad Godzilla films, but I disagree with you on Mechagodzilla, I feel it was one of the better films in the "Showa Era". Though you are of course free to have a different opinion.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
FargoDog said:
Casual Shinji said:
Well, it's a lot of big overly rendered CGI stuff all over the screen - It's not something for me to get really excited about anymore. I saw the same thing in The Avengers and The Hobbit.

Really, what else is new?
Guillermo Del fucking Toro.

That said, while I absolutely adore Guillermo Del fucking Toro and Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favourite films of all time, Pacific Rim doesn't really strike a chord with me. The idea of Del Toro doing a kaiju movie is sound, but kaiju movies were always more about war and the military and its power over civilians. Del Toro has worked with these themes before and well, but Pacific Rim has yet to advertise itself as anything other then giant CGI robots smashing into giant CGI monsters. This is stuff that's been a mainstay in Hollywood blockbusters for the past decade and it's starting to tire somewhat. Sure, the CGI looks fantastic and the set design has something of a unique vibe but that's expected for a $200 million dollar flick. Nothing so far has indicated to me this is a kaiju movie or even a Del Toro movie. It all seems a little vacant in the personality department.
Del Toro is one of those directors where I should like his movies, but I just don't. Like with Pan's Labyrinth... Everything about that movie should have me fall in love with it, but somehow it just does not stick with me at all. I can't explain it. Each of his movies brim with creative visuals, and yet it doesn't tickle my imagination.

And at this point I've become massively sick of the "look how CGI this is" method of visual effects in movies today. It all but destroyed The Hobbit for me, if its clinginess to LotR hadn't already.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm really hyped up the movie. The fact that Guillermo del Toro is directing is only but a plus.

The story can stay in the back on this one, I just want to see robots fight monsters with all their badassness (yea that's a word! :p).

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Korak the Mad said:
It's actually an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".
Which, unfortunately, I'm not sure is ever going to get off the ground. Del Toro has said it's because the plot is too similar to Prometheus, but I think that's probably only half of it.

Big budget adult-oriented horror movies tend to make hollywood execs shrivel slightly in the genital department. In traditional hollywood marketing logic, people who like big budget spectacle movies and people who like adult-oriented horror movies don't really overlap. The "mainstream audience" doesn't want to be exposed to anything really gross or scary or anti-pleasure, while "horror fanboys" are attracted to films precisely because the mainstream audience would find them unappealing. Trying to appeal to both demographics is, according to conventional wisdom, doomed to failure.

It's actually quite surprising that Prometheus, for example, was made, and I'm pretty sure if they hadn't been able to slap Ridley Scott's name on it and market the alien connection heavily it wouldn't have been made. Crucially, it also wasn't a big hit in US theatres. While this is actually kind of bullshit, because the film was an international success and still made Fox a fuckton of money, domestic theatre revenue is very, very important to Hollywood and I don't think Prometheus will have convinced anyone that spending hundreds of millions on an R-rated genre movie is a safe bet.

I really hope that film is made, and if it is I'll be making a rare trip to the theatre because I would honestly love to see a Lovecraft adaptation hit the big screen. But I don't think the chances are terribly good.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm as hyped as it gets, I am extremely excited.

It's probably going to be pretty stupid outside of the fights and the visuals (although I'm holding onto the hope that I'm proved wrong) but at the very least, it's going to be stupid-FUN.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Im down, the trailer looks like ass but ill give it a go. When I was first following it It thought it was going to be less tansformery than it this trailer implies.

offtopic- when I read the title I was thinking "why? theyre about to lose all their islands homes to sea level rise." and this was going to be a thread about mass immagration. boy was i wrong