Pakistan Bans Facebook Over "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day"

derelict

Oct 25, 2009
Dunno, I think its kind of hypocritical of the US to try to make a stink about Facebook being banned in other countries. Hell, everyone's got stuff they don't want to see, if enough people don't want to see it just get rid of it. I mean, look at immigration in the US. Its hard to vilify people for keeping something out when you're doing everything you can to deport everyone who hasn't passed your super friendship test and gotten their green card and all.

I mean sure its an issue, just not one that needs a lot of attention. So they don't want to see their religious rules violated. Big deal.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I've got zero tolerance for this or any other faith that tries to tell me anything about this world or the next - or my place in either. Screw muslim extremists terrorists, abortion clinic bombers, and the jackass priest who gives me disapproving looks on the bus.

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
People need to get their heads out of their arses! I'm a Catholic and I frankly don't give a shit if someone draws a picture of Mary herself with a pair of giant t**s. I don't even care if I see Jesus running with an AK-47! Not at all! So, all of you "dedicated" muslims need to know that Mohammad wants PEACE! Not flamewars or bombs going off on American buildings! Now, I know that's only a few extremists BUT still! All of you muslims need to be tolerant!

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
I've got zero tolerance for this or any other faith that tries to tell me anything about this world or the next - or my place in either. Screw muslim extremists terrorists, abortion clinic bombers, and the jackass priest who gives me disapproving looks on the bus.
LOL!

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
I really don't believe this is all that hypocritical. They stuck up for the page and said it wouldn't be deleted outright, but blocked access to it in India. Yes, that is kind of a bait and switch, but you need to pick your battles, and it seems like a pretty fair compromise. The extremists can block the page from all the people in the crazy-bubble, since that's who they have power over, and everyone else can continue to view it and laugh about how awesome religious freedom is. In my opinion, a lot of the people here are being pretty hypocritical. As much as I enjoy making fun of the extremists, you give what you get, and I think if we openly attack their religion we should expect them to block the page off. Raging about it makes no sense since pissing off the extremists and getting some publicity seems to be the whole point of the page in question.

FieryTrainwreck said:
You have zero tolerance for religions based on the zero tolerance policies held by the whack-jobs that make up a vast minority of the people following that religion?

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
ahh censorship. Its a two edged sword. The people who made that facebook page didnt make it for the sake of free speech, they made it to insult the islamic faith. So who is the immature one here, the people who defend their beliefs, or those who attack it for the sake of the sensationalism it causes.

JaredXE said:
As one of those 115,000 fans who actually drew a picture of Mohammed, I say bring it on Pakistan and you other bitchy muslims. Here in the western world, and America especially, we have Freedom of Speach and Expression. Now, unless my expression causes you PHYSICAL HARM, you can ***** all you want but I don't have to do shit to accomodate you. Go ahead and threaten death, I support the rights of any person to say what they want to whomever they want. However, if you act on it, as you crazy extremist muslims tend to do, well then you are commiting an actual crime against an actual person, not a mythic figure that can take care of himself. And that is a big no no, which means you are going to burn in hell, if it actually exists.
Well I think your wrong and an idiot. And here is the over the top response:

"BUT YOU CANT DISAGREE! YOU SAID YOU SUPPORT THE RIGHTS OF ANYBODY TO SAY ANYTHING. SO JUST SIT THERE AND TAKE IT!"
(see freedom of speech kinda sucks doesnt it? Wait dont respond, I told you that you cant and you put me in charge when you said you support me in saying what ever I want. So you technically gave up your right to talk.)

listen, "over the top" response aside, the way you have been talking about this stuff, and the level of maturity you showed in that post tells me that you are maybe fourteen or fifteen, have never been outside of America (maybe the North American Continent, but your doped up on sensationalistic patriotism)and have never been in a scenario where you have truly had your rights taken from you. So you should probably do a little growing up, see the world and what its really like instead of what MTV tells you, then you can make judgment calls.

Oh and in case you are actually older than fifteen, have been outside North America etc etc... it still doesnt change the fact that your immature.

dashiz94 said:
Sworm said:
Kurtle said:
At the end of the day Islam bans the worship of idols - yet Muslims worship Muhammed as an idol.
Therefore I couldn't give a toss if anyone offends them. Their immense doublethinking and hypocracy offends me!
Wrong they don't "worship" Muhammad one bit, They view him simply as an example and guide on life, and thus have immense respect for him. In the same way your dad (or other figure I don't know) brought you up, you have respect for him, well not exactly in the same way but I hope you see my point. I am doubtful you would be extremely pleased if people came and insulted your father.

Kurtle said:
Supposed "non-extremist" Muslims were crying fatwa only a couple of decades ago; so I'm afraid my trust of any Mulsim, however seemingly "normal", is low...
Well that's your own unfortunate problem for being the type of person you likes to generalize an entire group based on the very-vocal and heavily mediatized minority. And also the type of person to promote separation and hate instead of trying to understand the other and co-operation.

Kurtle said:
If Islam weren't so extreme then people wouldn't need to be "immature" to get their point across. The images are supposed to be offencive, because only a hypocritical idiot would find them offencive.
If people stopped for a second to see that the EXTREMISM in Islam is by far not the norm for every Muslim, and most of them in the west actually live and blend in harmoniously in their country. Maybe they would they would also have the insight to see that openly mocking the entire community for the sake of mocking is downright stupid.

Yeah I feed the troll I know... I'm gonna regret it

However...

milskidasith said:
Y'know, there's got to be a better way of claiming freedom of speech than intentionally aggravating all the Muslims in the world not making death threats... it seems akin to having an "everybody say the N word" day to protest people who get offended at its use.
I am glad to see that there still are people who have some common sense and try to take a more objective view of matters, you are not the only one here (I didn't read the entire thread) but you are one of them good sir, and I salute you and thank you for such a state of mind! Peace
Kudos to you mate
You..... win.... not for forever ( nothing personal, i just dont know you that well) but at least like, a week or two of win. *thumbs up*

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
RootbeerJello said:
I really don't believe this is all that hypocritical. They stuck up for the page and said it wouldn't be deleted outright, but blocked access to it in India. Yes, that is kind of a bait and switch, but you need to pick your battles, and it seems like a pretty fair compromise. The extremists can block the page from all the people in the crazy-bubble, since that's who they have power over, and everyone else can continue to view it and laugh about how awesome religious freedom is. In my opinion, a lot of the people here are being pretty hypocritical. As much as I enjoy making fun of the extremists, you give what you get, and I think if we openly attack their religion we should expect them to block the page off. Raging about it makes no sense since pissing off the extremists and getting some publicity seems to be the whole point of the page in question.

FieryTrainwreck said:
You have zero tolerance for religions based on the zero tolerance policies held by the whack-jobs that make up a vast minority of the people following that religion?
Correct. If your faith says, unequivocally, I'm going to hell for not believing its tenants, your faith can go fuck itself. And so can you. That's my take on the matter, and I won't apologize for it. I don't believe in arbitrary standards based on books written thousands of years before I was even born. People are welcome to glean valuable life lessons from them and even put into practice some of the more defensible rules, but as soon as that "follow or else" bit enters the equation... yeah, go fuck yourself.

Believe this (or not - and I won't even damn you to hell forever!): I'm a pretty compassionate and understanding guy. I'm always looking for good reasons why people do terrible things. When it comes dogmatic belief, however, I simply cannot generate the sympathy. These people are a product of their own staunch refusal to think for themselves. I despise that.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
FieryTrainwreck said:
RootbeerJello said:

FieryTrainwreck said:
Correct. If your faith says, unequivocally, I'm going to hell for not believing its tenants, your faith can go fuck itself. And so can you. That's my take on the matter, and I won't apologize for it. I don't believe in arbitrary standards based on books written thousands of years before I was even born. People are welcome to glean valuable life lessons from them and even put into practice some of the more defensible rules, but as soon as that "follow or else" bit enters the equation... yeah, go fuck yourself.

Believe this (or not - and I won't even damn you to hell forever!): I'm a pretty compassionate and understanding guy. I'm always looking for good reasons why people do terrible things. When it comes dogmatic belief, however, I simply cannot generate the sympathy. These people are a product of their own staunch refusal to think for themselves. I despise that.
Okay, that clears things up. from your first post I thought you were of the mindset that all Catholics should die a fiery death based on the actions of batshit crazy Catholics who have no connection at all (Which is a surprisingly prevalent view that really pisses me off since my family is Catholic and I never thought I'd have to live down their personal choice) . But now I get what you mean, and that sounds a lot like my belief.