Paleontologist Discovers "Giant Kraken Lair"

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Versuvius said:
GonzoGamer said:
bleachigo10 said:
Someone needs to go all Jurassic Park on that thing right now. I want there to be a Kraken in the world damn it.
What's the use, the Japanese will just eat them all.
That's probably what happened to the originals: they were too delicious.
Giant deep sea cephalapods have huge amounts of ammonia in their flesh. They taste like a bottle of stale piss.
The Japanese restaurant by my office only sells the finest stale piss and ammonia infused flesh.

Shinomori

Sep 20, 2011
Brandon Flaming said:
"We have a very good case."

Actually you have absolutely NO case. This is a complete guess. He has no evidence at all to back up his theory.
He has no evidence to back up his hypothesis. Having no evidence to back up a theory doesn't make sense since something only becomes a theory with evidence and peer review.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Aku_San said:
This article had me KRAKEN up.
Your avatar makes this even more priceless, lol.
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
[a
href=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/scientists-found-siberian-yeti_n_1003639.html#s388533]Yetis from the Russians[/a], and now Krakens from the Americans.

I guess that means we have to find Aslan.
All we need now are dragons from Europe. And perhaps Godzilla, but that'd just be a bonus at this point.
And if we could grab an Ocelot while we're at it, that'd be great. Not that they're mythical creatures, I've just never seen one.
Brb, going to China to research into IRL Tarasque, and search every riverbed for the remains of drago-...wait, river dragons are Japanese, my bad =|

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
JasonKaotic said:
Or it could just be a really, really big octopus?
Related: 'Bloop', seriously creepy-ass noise heard in the ocean a few years ago, they couldn't identify it, could be the same thing, could not. [http://www.bloopwatch.org/bloop_realtime.wav] Either way, this kind of reminded me of it, and I felt the need to share it.
Oh God, why did I listen to this?! The thought of the deep sea kinda creeps me out, not being able to see what's around you and such. This noise is probably gonna cause me nightmares or something.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Well I remember that there were sharks a few million years ago that were about 20 meters.

Awww yeah

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Scorched_Cascade said:
I know I'm not the only one who thought this when reading the news title:

to be honest, no, that wasn't my first thoughts. my first thoughts were of this old arcade game where you're treasure hunting in the ocean i think, and you go through all the 7 seas, and in each sea, they had a legendary monster you had to kill. the first level you had to kill a giant octopus. that game was fucking amazing and scary as hell. did anyone else here play that game? it was kind of like a rail shooter.

OT: i really hope that the person has more evidence than what we have been given in the article. if they don't, they really don't have much of a case. i don't think it's that far fetched to have giant octopuses in the past, considering in the past most creatures were pretty damn huge anyway, and i really am doubting that creatures like the octopus are so recent a creature that they would only really have existed in their current state through their entire existence.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
binnsyboy said:
Unleash the Kraken!
Ninja'd. Should have seen it coming. D8

What's with people trying to prove the existence of mythological creatures? About an hour ago, I read that story about some guy trying to prove the Yeti exists. What's next? Godzilla?

And hey, don't get me wrong! If this could be possible, I'd be the first one getting exited about it. But...it's not. So there ya go.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
It appears that I am an idiot and missed the 45ft long part.

Calling it a Kraken is just kind of silly since it is most likely a giant squid/octopus. If he hadnt gone around shouting kraken I think this would be a bit more believable and have a few less skeptics.
Thats what hes suggesting, a giant squid, a kraken is very much just a giant squid or octopi.

Crazy_Dude said:
Well I remember that there were sharks a few million years ago that were about 20 meters.

Awww yeah
Is that a real movie? WHERE CAN I FIND IT!

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010

Now that I have that out of my system, I like this. Granted, I don't think they have quite enough evidence yet, but it would be cool if his theory is true.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Versuvius said:
GonzoGamer said:
bleachigo10 said:
Someone needs to go all Jurassic Park on that thing right now. I want there to be a Kraken in the world damn it.
What's the use, the Japanese will just eat them all.
That's probably what happened to the originals: they were too delicious.
Giant deep sea cephalapods have huge amounts of ammonia in their flesh. They taste like a bottle of stale piss.
The Japanese restaurant by my office only sells the finest stale piss and ammonia infused flesh.
You have a japanese restraunt that sells colossal squid? I find that hard to believe.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Some of you guys have a seriously under-developed sense of fun.

IT'S A GODDAMN KRAKEN!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Crazy_Dude said:

Awww yeah
The best part is that apparently 200 million years ago, that movie premise was just a typical Tuesday.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
There was a good line in the Sherlock Holmes movie about "Shaping facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Iron Lightning said:
Wasn't the mythical Kraken just a giant squid?
Yes, but it's mythical, therefore, people refuse to believe it's exsistance for the sake of not wanting to believe it's exsistance. Perhaps at one point, giant squids were more aggressive, but natural selection made them more docile. Let's face it: even at sea, humans are hard prey, and the crew of the attacked ship would likely have caused all sorts of wounds before they died, right? It's risk vs. reward, and humans just aren't worth it.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
trophykiller said:
Iron Lightning said:
Wasn't the mythical Kraken just a giant squid?
Yes, but it's mythical, therefore, people refuse to believe it's exsistance for the sake of not wanting to believe it's exsistance. Perhaps at one point, giant squids were more aggressive, but natural selection made them more docile. Let's face it: even at sea, humans are hard prey, and the crew of the attacked ship would likely have caused all sorts of wounds before they died, right? It's risk vs. reward, and humans just aren't worth it.
My understanding of the little research of the two, the colossal squid is believed to be a much more aggressive and active hunter than the lighter, but longer giant squid.

As for the story I'm not sure you'd ever see either a Giant or Colossal Squid fighting a ship if their on the surface their dieing not hunting.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
Brandon Flaming said:
"We have a very good case."

Actually you have absolutely NO case. This is a complete guess. He has no evidence at all to back up his theory.
This,

While it's quite likely there were (we know there ARE, after all) huge cephalopods, there is no direct, no indirect evidence that makes this any more likely than it being anything else.

Even cryptozoological beasts normally have a fair amount of evidence.

Related: http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/10/the-giant-prehistoric-squid-that-ate-common-sense.ars
Pics or it didn't happen. As much as I want this to be real, there's far too much conjecture in that press statement. If there was ANY shred of physical evidence-beak marks, sucker hooks, anything-I would be telling everyone I met this. The article above points all this out better than me. Bloop is much more interesting. Octupi die after mating. So this thing would spend how many years growing to 100 feet across, before it was sexually mature? Not a sound genetic investment plan. If you're going to extrapolate extinct animals from living ones, you have to take the good with the bad. A squid could theoretically get big enough to take down Shonisaurs, but squid don't fit into this guy's strange arranging theory.