Parents Angry Over Educational Videogame

C Dudehammer

Jun 5, 2010
Even after a child admits that he learned something from the game, this fuckskull actually acuses him of lying and bases her stand in the argument on nothing. Parents seem to despise it when other people are better at teaching their kids then they are.

Bananafoam

Feb 6, 2010
I think it's parents natural instinct to hate video games, especially if they're older than 50 now. It's obvious that they believe in the the popular stereotyped theory that spouts things like, "Grand Theft Auto 4 will turn your kids into a serial rapist!". Seriously, I wouldn't be suprised if poster started popping up in major cities saying lines like that.

Parents need to learn that sane people aren't naturally influenced by games, good or bad.
Heck, I've rented games that were violent and learned plenty of things about the world, both Historical and Mathmatical.

So, what I'm saying is, violent or not, if it teaches us something important, then it's good right.
I mean, people use video games a sort of tool, blaming it for problems like crime. Crime doesn't escalate when a bad game comes out, it escalates when the economy goes to crap and people have to steal just to survive. But the government has blamed problems like this on games.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
All I have to say is good job, Parents, grasping at straws. Hey maybe you should actually do something and help your kids with school work so they know what's going on so they have no addiction to feed. Parents, grow the f**k up.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
look at japan they are smart as hell and videogames are huuuge part of their culture. Parents have got to understand it isn't their generation anymore, it's ours.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
anytime you hear someone seriously use the phrase "all the bells and whistles" you know youre dealing with someone out of touch with whatever it is that they are talking about, and the generation that is familiar with it

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Really? This again? Are some people so adament against gaming they have to stoop to bashing games that teach kids math.

*facepalm*

Redweevil

Oct 21, 2009
MisterColeman said:
I'm a little confused is he saying Grand Theft Auto is the educational game? In which case I kinda understand.
I have no idea, but this cracked me up

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
To paraphrase a certain gentleman on the Escapist:

"Campaigning parents are clingy complaining dipshits, who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you'll be for it."

Picture isn't really suited to this, either. How can a maths game be anything like GTA 4? Do you have to calculate the received damage from a distance away from a grenade you've thrown?

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
As we've seen many times before... these people... are idiots when it comes to knowing this sort of stuff. The point is that they're excited for the killing and such, the added benefactor is education.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The funny thing is that many video games are educational even if we don't think about them like that. Me for exampel, I don't think my English would be anywere near the level it is now without games and TV (my mother tongue is not English)...

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
isnt that the point of a education game? combining LEARNING and FUN? seriously! I bet half of the parents dont know what the game is about

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Jark212 said:
shaboinkin said:
I agree with her.

Math Blaster is pretty violent. I still have nightmares from that game
I remember playing that in Elementary school...

I liked Oregon Trail better, I'd only load up on whiskey and meat any try to cross the US...
My god! Keep that to yourself man! We don't want Mothers Against Drunk Driving to ban the Oregon Trail!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
You know escapists, its funny. You complain when parents let kids play violent videogames and complain about how its bad for them, but when they stop kids from playing a game that /does/ have violence in, you complain too.

I mean, what the hell?

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
What? Some videogames like Unreal or Quake can be used to improve reflexes and hand-eye coordination?

They're not trying to improve their reflexes or coordination by playing it, they're trying to ram a gauss slug down the other guy's throat! Who cares if their abilities are actually improving? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

dogstile said:
You know escapists, its funny. You complain when parents let kids play violent videogames and complain about how its bad for them, but when they stop kids from playing a game that /does/ have violence in, you complain too.

I mean, what the hell?
No, we don't complain about children playing violent games and bring up how bad it is for them.

We complain when their parents believe violent videogames are harmful for their children, let them play them anyways, then try to start another moral outrage about it. We complain that the parents constantly attempt to place the blame on the videogames themselves, when it's their fault their kids are playing them. We complain about the astounding amount of ignorance expressed by the parents in stories like these.

Did you read the recent study into how violent games affect children?

holographicman

Oct 6, 2009
"We are feeding the addiction of these children to video games"

I was not aware that video games eat addiction.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
LoopyDood said:
What? Some videogames like Unreal or Quake can be used to improve reflexes and hand-eye coordination?

They're not trying to improve their reflexes or coordination by playing it, they're trying to ram a gauss slug down the other guy's throat! Who cares if their abilities are actually improving? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

dogstile said:

I mean, what the hell?
No, we don't complain about children playing violent games and bring up how bad it is for them.

We complain when their parents believe violent videogames are harmful for their children, let them play them anyways, then try to start another moral outrage about it. We complain that the parents constantly attempt to place the blame on the videogames themselves, when it's their fault their kids are playing them. We complain about the astounding amount of ignorance expressed by the parents in stories like these.

Did you read the recent study into how violent games affect children?
"No, we don't complain about children playing violent games and bring up how bad it is for them. " Read what I said again, you guys complain about the /parents/, because the parents let kids play games and blame it for their bad behaviour.

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
hudsonzero said:
wow there upset over a educational game that appearers to work ..... have these parents had a lobotomy?
I think that calms you down. not make you a dick.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Surely it doesn't matter what bits they liked about the game, as long as it's helping them learn right?

"They were all excited about the violence."
Any child who gets more excited about algebra than violence needs a serious talking to.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
The arguments used against this game are pathetic, and a product of an older generation not understanding a new medium. However, there was something mentioned in the source that wasn't mentioned in the article on this site: the game was funded by the department of defense. If this is some Last Starfighter style grab by the DoD, I'd be worried about my kids playing it too.

Edit: This may be just one batshit parent. The video that this article is about only shows one parent, and all of the quotes saying "one parent said" in the text are spoken by the same woman in the video.