Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Aren't these the people who constantly get offended by South Park and Family Guy? Nevermind then.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
C117 said:
Wait... THEY call US bullies without having any evidence for that all of us go out each Saturday night to cave peoples skulls in? And how many games have THEY played to make them form this opinion? Have they even TRIED the games that are INTENDED for kids?

This calls for drastic measures! The law is against us! Society's against us! The State is against us! We need help! We need heroes! We need... ANONYMOUS!

Or just Cthulhu for president...
TO 4CHAN!

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Unless I'm shown a good alternative I don't think age-verification can be implemented in a fair and consistent manner. It makes no sense that a sixteen year old could purchase a copy of Pulp Fiction but not TES IV Oblivion and I see no reason why games should be singled out. Detractors will say it's because their interactive but then so is theater and I don't see them rushing to make it illegal for minors to perform Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.

If it wasn't for this issue of fairness and the ever-expanding censorship it would seem to require I actually don't have a problem with age-verification for games. I even see some advantages as it would likely loosen the divide between the 17+ and 18+ ESRB age ratings; At the moment that one year is a huge deal and that's more than a little silly.

I also don't see how this can be implanted with the way ESRB currently rates games as this is another area where fairness and consistency are rough at best.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
So because people play games on TV's instead of watch TV's this cuts into the viewing profits of commercials.

Bad enough the tv stations fight each other now they fight a xbox and ps3...

Seriously state the REAL problem.

Selling sex and violence to kids, the way you were accused of what? 30 years ago?
Lulz.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I think we need to have a stern talk with the head of this council but he isn't out much, but don't worry, here's an artist's drawing of the head:

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
AnAngryMoose said:
sir.rutthed said:
AnAngryMoose said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
This is starting to feel distressingly similar to several dystopian scifis I've been reading lately....
Either that or the USSR. Next thing you know the phones will be tapped.
Two words for you bro: PATRIOT Act.
No clue what it is (Not a US citizen). Just poking fun, is all.
No worries man. It's the bill we passed right after 9/11 that allows (among other things) phone taps on private citizens without a warrant.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
AnAngryMoose said:
sir.rutthed said:
AnAngryMoose said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
This is starting to feel distressingly similar to several dystopian scifis I've been reading lately....
Either that or the USSR. Next thing you know the phones will be tapped.
Two words for you bro: PATRIOT Act.
No clue what it is (Not a US citizen). Just poking fun, is all.
No worries man. It's the bill we passed right after 9/11 that allows (among other things) phone taps on private citizens without a warrant.
Jesus Christ, that sounds a bit extreme. Understandable, but extreme.

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
The Parents Television Council is made of a bunch of right wingnuts. Can we not pay attetion to them please.

MomGamer

Oct 18, 2010
I just want to clear up some confusion. The Parents Television Council is not in any way supportive of television. So those who are implying that they need to look at their own media before throwing stones at ours are off base here a bit.

The are a large organization that does write-in campaigns to protest content they don't approve of to the FCC, and they also have been behind such recent fun as blocking M-rated video games from being advertised on city buses in Colorado. They have chapters in many states.

And I should also point out I'm not a member and I don't have any use for them for more reasons that just the thug comment.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we never here from them again, must be a slow week for television to complain about. Don't worry, the new South Park is out soon.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN!!! SOMEONE IS DARING TO STAND UP FOR THEIR RIGHTS!!!

GASP!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

HOW DARE THEY STAND UP FOR THEIR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!!!

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*sigh* I can't wait till a generation passes and all of these game-haters are old or dying off. I'm tired of hearing about them. >_<

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
In other news, when asked what games they've played after their statement, the Parents Television Council immediately said "Cooking Mama".