Parents Television Council Falls on Hard Times

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
BWAHAHAHAAA!

Erm... what I mean to say is, while unfortunate for those whose families relied on this group for employment, as I feel the fundamental concept of the PTC is not merely flawed but dangerously backwards in intent and understanding, their downward spiral to obsolesence is one I greet gladly. Censorship is never the answer; only by bringing concepts and ideas to light can we rationally debate them in an environment which fosters understanding and the growth of culture and people as a whole. I wish those in the PTC the best moving forward, and I hope for their sake that the end of such a sheltering and self-reassuring system will force them to more objectively examine the mass media around them, rather than default to the censoring techniques of the PTC and similar organizations.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
notyouraveragejoe said:
imnotparanoid said:
Arkhangelsk said:
All I can do is laugh smugly as they get what they deserve for trying to oppress gaming.
I can haz join you?
I'm joining both of you. Since this actually made me smile a little.
Hey, don't leave me out. This article is the first to make me smirk all day!

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I call this karma for the potshot they took at gaming a while ago.

Arkhangelsk said:
All I can do is laugh smugly as they get what they deserve for trying to oppress gaming.
I laugh with you.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Electrogecko said:
If parents care enough to shield their precious children from the obscenities of cable tv and donate to a watchdog group, (which probably consists of nothing more than a bunch of rambling 45 year old women who accomplish nothing and are looking to pronounce their superiority and decency to all their friends (if they have friends)) then they sure as hell should care enough to go to the parental controls on their tv and block certain shows/channels, and if they can't do that, they can use that donation money to pay for a cable package that provides parental controls, or pay for lessons on how to use current-day technology. But we all know that anybody who donates to this group only does so out of ignorance, or for their self esteem and bragging rights.

But seriously, what are these people fighting for? The banning of all shows that involve cursing, sex, potty humor, or violence? Even todays Nickelodian would fail that test.
I was just commenting on this exact same point the other day or so. Why should we all sacrifice our rights to free speech and entertainment because some overbearing, holier-than-thou interest groups declare whatever they deem offensive unsuitable for an entire nation? If I pay for cable television that is not public, why should it be censored no questions asked? Did I ask for obnoxious bleeps to damage my hearing at the word "asshole?" I have no problem that people find some things on television inappropriate, but do NOT bring me into the equation because those people already have the tools at their hands to avoid such material.

These moral judges are unnecessary given the plethora of options at everyone's fingertips and checkbooks.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, if they went under, only good could come of it, they are ignorant and try to push their values on others claim to be fighting for decency. If they went under and were never heard from again it would be too soon.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
One more group of self-important people crumbling to dust, not long until a new group steps on their dust, though.

Apr 17, 2009
How can you trust anyone called Salazar? Even if it didn't crop up in a certain long-running series about a boy wizard, I'd still think it sounds like the name of an evil wizard. Does someone have to be called Evulz McDeath to be considered a bit shifty

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
rekabdarb said:
woah the guy's name is Salazar?

Hello Mr. Scott Kennedy

CURSE! THE NINJA!!

Well, watchdog groups are superfluous imo. The public can decide for itself what it does or doesn't like.

Also, Salazar likes beer!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Arkhangelsk said:
Same here, it does my heart a world of good to see these people fail so badly. I believe this calls for the Happy Dance. Everyone, dance with me! :D

Except for you Arkhangelsk... filthy Time Lord. D:

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
dalek sec said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Same here, it does my heart a world of good to see these people fail so badly. I believe this calls for the Happy Dance. Everyone, dance with me! :D

Except for you Arkhangelsk... filthy Time Lord. D:
Imagining you saying "dance with me" in a Dalek voice makes your post so much more awesome.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Aaaah I hate groups like this.

Who are they to impose their clearly religious values on me?

Glad to seem them suffer.