PC Battlefield 3 Lacks Key FPS Feature

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Okay, EA. Why do you hate PC gamers all of a sudden?

First, you dump Steam and run off to make Origin, moving all your games there in the process. A lot of people who liked Crysis 2 or DA2, but can't play it any more without buying it again at full price, probably boycotted you after that. But hey, some of them probably would pay premium, again, for the games, so no harm no foul, right?

Then you decide that Battlefield 3 should follow them, leaving Activision to take everyone's Steam orders for Modern Warfare 3. And since the record shows that competitors' digital download services are to Steam what competitors' handheld consoles were to Nintendo's Game Boy, you really shot yourselves in the foot there.

And even after all that, you decide "Hey! Let's FORCE everyone to use OUR service!" So even the people who were going to buy it in hard-copy anyway get mad. Then this, which makes them even madder and probably cuts out about a third of your profits.

I wasn't going to buy this game anyway, but seriously?

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I just don't get it. I really don't. It's like DICE and EA are making every possible attempt to make people NOT buy the game. First it was the Origin thing, now this, next they'll tell us that the fucking disk-based version of the game comes to us snapped in half by employees, free of charge.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Thank you EA, Thank you for time and time again supporting my belief that you are the worst of all gaming companies around. When you're not putting half finished buggy shit on the shelves you're making moves like this that move you ever further away from the potential profit margin you could be scoring on and seeing you are currently trying to pull people away from the fanatical horde that is Activisions COD crowd who have MW3 coming which is on Steam, a well known, widely used and accepted DD system, you truly do want to make your best possible effort to fuck yourself over.

Well done.

Well done sir.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I used battlelog during the alpha and at first I was VERY skeptical, but I quickly learned to embrace and love it as I could look for and search much quicker with the browser than I would using an in-game browser.

The game also loaded up very quickly after you chose the server so there is no time lost that way at all.

I'm all for it.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Only one thing could sum up my opinion on this...
Really, silly is the only way to describe this, there is absolutely no reason they could not incorporate it in game, and it just baffles me that they think forcing players to quit every time they want to change servers is a good idea.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
kebab4you said:
Ziadaine said:
EDIT: For those saying "Oh, it'll be a quick load." How the hell do you know? Unless you somehow cracked or got your hands on BF3 and played it and shit, and have multiple computers from most latest generations to test, you have NO idea if it will be fast or not. SO far all we have is the "trust" on EA that it is. And from these latest moves, I dont trust that statement.
Let's just assume that it loads really fast, you know what would load even faster? If it was built into the game!

"Oh but you can just alt+tab and save the trouble of closing the game" Again, know what would be even faster? Have an built in menu.

I have no idea why people are defending this crap, this doesn't benefit the player in any god damn way.
I wasn't defending it, I was trying to get that same point across that "why build some stupid ass method that maybe a handful of users will find fast, when you can just in-build it into that game and make it fast for EVERYONE"

hellblazer445

Jun 28, 2011
what happened? everything i heard about this game for months sounded sooo awesome, but now each time i see a BF3 news update on escapist i want to pull my hair out.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Played the Alpha... it works like a charm! :D its amazingly done :) even keeps track of your stats/rewards. doesnt see it as a step down or anything. It just fits the PC because it can be done on the PC :) the friend system they built into it works perfect aswell ;) so dont go hazing on them guys... specially if you didnt try it out yourself ;)

hellflame

Nov 9, 2010
how about we try out the beta before we scream death and murder!
okay, seems like a strange move. but hell. the alpha tester liked it?

but yeah at 1st i thought "does EA even wanna make money? o_O?"

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Between this and Origin, yep, this is TOTALLY game of the year and the greatest thing on the face of the earth... maybe the fan boys will cut it down a bit now...

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
If I could remember the last time I used an in game server browser that didn't suck ass then I'd probably care. Disconnecting from a server means that the significant part of loading needs to be done again, so I can't see it impacting how any user who's played a pc shooter before can be put out..

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I don't understand. Well, I do understand that the last two BF games I played had horrible broken server browsers and if they think their new solution is a win-win all-round then maybe I should wait and see it before I pass judgement.
It just sounds silly though, like always having to go through the garage to get into your house.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
qwerty19411 said:
Vigormortis said:
qwerty19411 said:
This is where EA should step in and offer a solution that Steam doesn't have: An overlay with a server browser.
Um...what? Steam has had a server/web browser within it's overlay and friends/community menu for quite a while.
Never seen this on Killing Floor. Source engine only?
Most games (even non-source) have the server browser feature integrated. Steam even has a display window which will show you all the servers you've faved, played on often, and other miscellaneous servers. If you go to your settings, Main Steam window > View > Settings, and go to the Interface tab you'll see at the bottom a "Set Taskbar/Jumplist Pref" button. In there you'll see a number of page view selections, including servers. Make sure it's checked, and exit. Then all you need to is right click on your Steam icon in your taskbar or quick launch and then click servers. From there you can choose a server, auto-load the game, and join that server.

It's not available in the in-game overlay, as far as I'm aware, but in most cases it's irrelevant as most of those games have an in-menu server browser anyway.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
It's a bit silly but it's honestly not that huge of a deal for me. As long as I get into a server what do I care?

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
kebab4you said:
Ziadaine said:
EDIT: For those saying "Oh, it'll be a quick load." How the hell do you know? Unless you somehow cracked or got your hands on BF3 and played it and shit, and have multiple computers from most latest generations to test, you have NO idea if it will be fast or not. SO far all we have is the "trust" on EA that it is. And from these latest moves, I dont trust that statement.
Let's just assume that it loads really fast, you know what would load even faster? If it was built into the game!

"Oh but you can just alt+tab and save the trouble of closing the game" Again, know what would be even faster? Have an built in menu.

I have no idea why people are defending this crap, this doesn't benefit the player in any god damn way.
No. Almost all the loading time is loading meshes and textures and they're loaded when you load the map. You still have to load the map again when you join another server. Also, do you seriouly think that having to build yet another server browser and optimising it will give better results than using a technology built and already optimised by someone else? Not only does it save DICE ressources to build a better experience in-game, but also give a better product that what they could have done with the same budget and time.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I'm not properly understanding this. Does this mean that I need to completely exit Battlefield 3, pick a server outside the game, then restart it? I'm pretty confused here.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Begun the fan reaction has.

I don't knwo what benefit this gives them but its going to cause lots of compaling. I doubt if it will lose them a significant number of sales (hehe, spinless gamers) but its not going to win them any friends.