PC Gaming Alliance Talks PC/Console Crossover

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Malygris said:
But we're talking about the overall control scheme here. (At least I am.) If you're talking strictly about WASD vs. the analog stick for player movement and nothing else, then I'll grant that the playing field is more level but that becomes a question of what you were brought up on. The mouse, however, is unparalleled for speed, responsiveness and accuracy.
It's a matter of personal preference really. For me WASD hurts my hands after a short while so it doesn't really matter to me how much better a mouse is. In my opinion at least we can say mouse > gamepad > keyboard.

Malygris said:
The fact that TF2 for the 360 had no auto-aim is an interesting point, one I wasn't aware of. Since you're playing exclusively against other console gamers, it becomes less relevant; generally speaking, do you think the 360 crew would have success against experienced PC FPS gamers in cross-platform contests? Someone also mentioned in another thread that the TF2 scene on the 360 was pretty much dead, if that's the case do you think the lack of aiming assist could been partially responsible?
Without auto-aim gamepaders certainly wouldn't fare too well against mouse users. But the real reason I said that was to refute a common misconception that a gamepad cannot handle PC shooter action without auto-aim.

If I had to guess I'd say that it is a combination of a small player-base to begin with (as not many bought The Orange Box) for TF2 on Live, the utter lack of support for the game (none of Valve's expansions-called-Updates or even new maps), TF2 being terribly unfriendly to new comers (it really needs a tutorial), and its lack of gameplay variety compared to other more popular shooters on Live. Like you said it's a level playing field so no aim assist is not the case, TF2 doesn't really place too much importance on accuracy anyway (unless you're a sniper).