PC Gaming Continues to Grow

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Viridian said:
For instance, fighting games (Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat) just plain work better with controllers, and the buttons seem to lend themselves to combos better.
Yes, if only you could use controllers on a PC. Oh, wait....

Without getting into too much PC snobbery, this is one thing I really like about PC's. The general ability to use what ever controller you think is best for the type of game you are playing.

Viridian

Jan 25, 2012
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:
For instance, fighting games (Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat) just plain work better with controllers, and the buttons seem to lend themselves to combos better.

Without getting into too much PC snobbery, this is one thing I really like about PC's. The general ability to use what ever controller you think is best for the type of game you are playing.
Did I do something to offend you, or is that your normal sarcastic tone?

But it's true, I didn't think about being able to use a controller. In fact, that the average consumer doesn't think about using a controller for their PC is probably one of the reasons there are so few fighting games on the platform. For a console, controllers are required. For a pc, they're an alternative.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Viridian said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:

But it's true, I didn't think about being able to use a controller. In fact, that the average consumer doesn't think about using a controller for their PC is probably one of the reasons there are so few fighting games on the platform. For a console, controllers are required. For a pc, they're an alternative.
All right the sarcasm might have been a bit harsh, but it is fact I have to repeat quite often because, as you said, people seem unaware that you can use other things than mouse and keyboard on the PC.

In fact you can use every controller out there on PC. Xbox & PS controllers, wheels, joysticks, motion controllers including Kinect and even Wii remote. And even if your favourite game does not support your controller of choice natively, there is always a 3rd party mod that will make it work. Maximum choice. Should probably be the PC's motto.

Viridian

Jan 25, 2012
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:

All right the sarcasm might have been a bit harsh, but it is fact I have to repeat quite often because, as you said, people seem unaware that you can use other things than mouse and keyboard on the PC.

In fact you can use every controller out there on PC. Xbox & PS controllers, wheels, joysticks, motion controllers including Kinect and even Wii remote. And even if your favourite game does not support your controller of choice natively, there is always a 3rd party mod that will make it work. Maximum choice. Should probably be the PC's motto.
Indeed. Now all we have to do is inform the masses, and we can eliminate the inferior console races once and for all!

*Insert evil laughter here.*

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
The view from my ivory tower is great, indeed.
Long live the PC Master Race.

Sep 24, 2008
The numbers are wrong. Don't you remember Ubisoft outed us all as pirates that don't pay for things. How could it possibly reach 18 billion?

What the hell is Vanguard and where's my recaptcha?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:

Maximum choice when the developers give a fuck and actually support that ability. Far too many games come out with no controller support or sometimes incredibly awful controller support that can't be rebound, period.

The biggest reason that fightin, racin, sports games in general don't show up on the PC more often is because too many devs don't give a crap because they think its a waste of time for them to put absolutely any effort into their pc port.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
shintakie10 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Viridian said:

Maximum choice when the developers give a fuck and actually support that ability. Far too many games come out with no controller support or sometimes incredibly awful controller support that can't be rebound, period.

The biggest reason that fightin, racin, sports games in general don't show up on the PC more often is because too many devs don't give a crap because they think its a waste of time for them to put absolutely any effort into their pc port.
One of the great things about using a controller on the PC is the ability to use a third party program to remap the keys.

It sucks when a console game has a controller layout that can't be changed, but on the PC there are free programs to remap the keys outside of the game, in Windows itself.

In fact, these programs allow things like binding multiple functions to one key (tap, hold, double tap, etc), shift keys, making toggles (e.g. toggle to aim instead of holding down the key). For example, I played Skyrim with an Xbox 360 controller, but since I was on PC I was able to put all 10 hot keys on the d-pad, compared to the 2 hotkeys that are possible on Xbox.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
The only reason that we're seeing this growth is that I now have a place WHERE I CAN ACTUALLY BUY GAMES.

All of the big stores, like Walmart have a PC section that has games from 2003, and the electronics stores like Bestbuy or Futureshop have a very.... limited section for the PC. And lets not even mention Gamestop....
Now I don't have to hunt down AAA titles, and now I know smaller indie games EXIST.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Plug your PC into your TV, and compare that with what you get from consoles. THAT is why PC gaming is on the rise. When you play a game at 1080p @ 60 fps with antialiasing on your large screen TV, how you view your current gen console will never be the same again. Sure, consoles are cheaper, sure towers in the living room are a little awkward, but with PCs you get something way, way better, way more functional, without the restrictions of just playing games but doing whatever else you want to be doing with a computer.

I still play SuperStardust HD on the PS3, and use it to play my Blu-ray disks, so it's not totally gathering dust.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
lancar said:
Have we now stooped to thinking that consoles are just a blemish on the earth that needs to be eradicated? If that's the case then I seem to recall something very similar happening in World War II.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
Fijiman said:
lancar said:
Have we now stooped to thinking that consoles are just a blemish on the earth that needs to be eradicated? If that's the case then I seem to recall something very similar happening in World War II.
Witcher 2 macht frei!

Threeseventyfive

Feb 25, 2012
Anyone who uses the term "PC Master Race" seriously and without irony is an idiot.

I'm thinking about making the jump from console to PC sometime this year. I've already narrowed it down to the specs. It'll cost a little over $500, but It'll be able to outlive the current and next gens with a few hardware updates.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Viridian said:
I find it more likely that its because fighting games are frequently played with people in the same room and many people haven't figured out that they can hook their PC up to their TV.

Viridian

Jan 25, 2012
Darknacht said:
Viridian said:
I find it more likely that its because fighting games are frequently played with people in the same room and many people haven't figured out that they can hook their PC up to their TV.
Yeah, that's probably part of it. Not to mention that at first glance, consoles just have that "ease of use" feeling, and getting a PC to run a game can be daunting, especially to people who aren't used to messing with stuff. And that's before, "Wait, I can hook it up to the tv?"

F, man. There's a lot of variables to look at there, and without studies that aren't just conjecture from dudes on a forum, who knows what the reason really is?

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
ph0b0s123 said:
Also what is the guy with two thumbs up supposed to represent?
Well either he thinks everything is really good or he's signaling that he's going to double ascende from a SCUBA dive.

I am leaning to the latter.