PC or 360 Skyrim?

krashash

Jun 22, 2009
Alright, I would love to get the PC Skyrim over the 360, but I'm really not sure how well it will run on my PC. I've thought about using Skyrim as my excuse for building a new rig, but I don't play a ton of games, and thought I might wait a bit for the prices of 6 core processors and such to come down a bit. Anyways, here are my specs:

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz
3.50 GB Ram
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB
Direct X 9c
Windows XP
Hope to play in 1280x800

I don't care if I can't run it on the highest settings, I just want to run smoothly. Any opinions?

Thanks.

harknesssimm

Oct 19, 2008
inb4 OMG you must play on pc lest you desire to be a commoner!

O.T. im going to play it on xbox because im an achievement whore but i dont think it really matters either way

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Were I you, I'd play it on 360. it was developed on 360 and I suspect it will be less buggy on 360 for a while.

krashash

Jun 22, 2009
I guess I should add that the reason PC is appealing to me, is that the modding community is so active in improving the TES and fallout games.

evilives34

Mar 20, 2009
you can play very well, with that system, but its up to you on how you want to play. the PC version will get mods, and that will make the game last years longer then the console verison, i have save game from oblivion with like 400hrs in it.

edit
yes but mods will help with bugs, cus there sometimes bug the devs cant send the time to fix, but mod makers can

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Your system should be able to play Skyrim just fine (according to system reqs I've found, my four-year-old dual-core based gaming desktop would be able to run it as well). I doubt it can even properly utilize all four of your processor cores... but I haven't looked in-depth at that due to not being very interested in the game myself.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'm planning to get it on 360 Friday. In 12-18 months when the DLC inclusive version comes out for the PC, I'll get that one too. By that time there should be tons of great mods to play around with.

krashash

Jun 22, 2009
ZZoMBie, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I think that might be the way to go.

Thanks all.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I'm getting it on the Xbox because I'm sure that my laptop can't handle it.
I'll probably get the GOTYE on the PC eventually though.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Were I you, I'd play it on 360. it was developed on 360 and I suspect it will be less buggy on 360 for a while.
I suspect that unofficial patches will fix the worst and most prevalent bugs on the day of release. (an exaggeration, but you should get my point, the community will probably fix the game faster than the devs will)

OP: IMO get it for PC if you are able to run it smoothly. I think it's possible if you turn down the grpahics. And also, you can use mods to customize your experience greatly.

You must join the glorious PC master race. Leave the console rabble to their non-PC nonsense.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
Here's a quick little question for everyone, because my situation is a bit of a curious one.

First off, it would seem that the PC version is the one to get for Skyrim. The game was designed for the Xbox 360, so the interface (seems a bit awkward on the PC, but still functional) and stability will be better on that... but the PC version is able to churn out better graphics, has faster load times, and mods will eventually be the PC's greatest strength.

My problem? My computer is dated, really dated.

I'm talking six or seven years old now, and running off of a single-core processor (3.0 GHz); dual-cores were cutting-edge technology when I built it, and ridiculously expensive at the time. It's served me well through these past few years, but it is time to get a new one. Unfortunately, I'm also in the last year of my university degree; that means my budget is a bit tight, and I'm still not too sure if I should go get one just yet. Once I finish and get a job, getting a new desktop is a certainty; before then, not too certain.

Oddly enough, the site "Can You Run It?" [http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/] says I should still be able to run Skyrim; below the recommended specs, but above the minimum. However, I'm not too sure that I believe it; it says a dual-core at 2.0 GHz... is that effectively a single at 4.0 Ghz, or am I wrong? Well, there's also the fact I've been able to run some games which my PC hasn't met the minimum requirements on CYRI (for example, DA:O and DA2); not too smoothly at times, but certainly well enough for me to finish them.

Still, my PC has been having a lot of hiccups lately as well (sometimes just browsing the internet causes issues, damned animated adds)... so I'm not sure if putting it under the strain of Skyrim will be a good idea.

---

In the end, I will be getting Skyrim for the PC.

The real question is which version I'll be getting tomorrow (or Saturday, not sure if shops will be open tomorrow; Remembrance Day in my neck of the woods). Or should I get it for PC because it's the version I want? Or should I get it for the Xbox 360 because that's the version which is guaranteed to work?

Opinions?

Octorok

May 28, 2009
krashash said:
Alright, I would love to get the PC Skyrim over the 360, but I'm really not sure how well it will run on my PC. I've thought about using Skyrim as my excuse for building a new rig, but I don't play a ton of games, and thought I might wait a bit for the prices of 6 core processors and such to come down a bit. Anyways, here are my specs:

Specs:
3.50 GB Ram
Direct X 9c
Windows XP
Hope to play in 1280x800

I don't care if I can't run it on the highest settings, I just want to run smoothly. Any opinions?

Thanks.
We have near-identical hardware, and I went for the PC version. Our rig (given that I have that exact CPU, RAM and graphics card combo) should run it, according to the released specs, on "High", not "Ultra", but pretty well.

I have to wonder - how'd you end up with mid-range modern hardware, but with Windows XP?

demolisher360

Jul 4, 2011
I don't think you would have a problem playing it, your computer is better than mine and I've never had any problems playing a game before. Also i know the interface was designed for consoles but if it's such a problem there will be mods to deal with that within a couple of months anyway. and if all else fails you could buy it on both (i had oblivion for both)

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
krashash said:

Specs:
3.50 GB Ram
Direct X 9c
Windows XP
Hope to play in 1280x800

Thanks.
you dont REALY need the core upgrade ( is your core locked? is it overclockable? a 30 bucks cooler and some overclocking might bump you up to your desired amount?)
ram could do with an upgrade, and since ram is DIRT CHEAP > DO IT ( seriusly i have 8 gygs of ram and it cost me what, again less then 30 euro's ? ) (( yes thats 12 bazilion usd, but whatever ) no clue about your card tbh, nvidea stopped making since to me since i was 8 years old.

pcxt21

Oct 23, 2011
Your system should run the game very well, so I'd say go PC. Mods, better post launch support, faster patches, and it will look much nicer.

krashash

Jun 22, 2009
Octorok said:
krashash said:

Specs:
3.50 GB Ram
Direct X 9c
Windows XP
Hope to play in 1280x800

Thanks.
We have near-identical hardware, and I went for the PC version. Our rig (given that I have that exact CPU, RAM and graphics card combo) should run it, according to the released specs, on "High", not "Ultra", but pretty well.

I have to wonder - how'd you end up with mid-range modern hardware, but with Windows XP?

I got it right before Vista came out, if I remember correctly.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
your rig is pretty decent, so get it on the PC
I'm not a big fan of modding games, but the elder scrolls games usually have really good ones.
sometimes those little tweaks are what you need to make a good game great

CLIFFRACERS - 'nuff said... hell I even made my own mod to get rid of those damn things in morrowind

implodinggoat

Apr 3, 2009
Pros for PC:
1: Better Graphics
2: Considerably Faster Load Times
3: The Mod Community.

Pros for 360:
1: Control scheme works better on a controller than a keyboard.
2: You'll get the DLC before PC players do.
3: An Xbox is considerably cheaper than a high end PC.

I'm getting it on 360 because I don't have a PC that can handle it; but if I did I think I'd go PC.