PC Version of Portal 2 Outsells Console Brethren

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I bought the PS3 version, but I bought it because you get two copies for the price of one. I played it on PC and beat it on PC. Still haven't even started it on PS3.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Is this counting the free copies they gave away with the Ps3 version? I dunno if that should count.
Io be fair i imagine alot of folks who bought the ps3 version did so for the the free steam copy, like myself... but you're right im not entirely sure if the free copies should count as there is no way of knowing how many people bought it for that reason

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
pc games are still cheaper then console games.
i stick with my pc. still the best platform to play on. as long valve makes a proper pc game, im happy. so far, they never disappointed me (general) and i highly doubt they will do so in the future. valve is still my favorite company.
just like to know when epi 3 will finally show up.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Is this counting the free copies they gave away with the Ps3 version? I dunno if that should count.
Io be fair i imagine alot of folks who bought the ps3 version did so for the the free steam copy, like myself... but you're right im not entirely sure if the free copies should count as there is no way of knowing how many people bought it for that reason
They probably don't count since the free pc copy isn't a sale

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Hamish Durie said:
duuuuuh consoles are aimed at a younger age group case in point mine 14-18 and most 14-18 year olds don't want to do puzzels, no they want to PWN dey frnds in COD

why yes I did like portal 2
Portal 2 is my second favourite game of all time, and I'm slap-bang in the middle of your generalisation (16 years old).
---->most<----teenagers or atleast people that I know

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I would love to see Total War: Shogun 2 come to consoles. They're not exactly frantic games and it could work even though I'll admit there would be a learning curve. I understand though that I'm probably in the end all minority of "I use consoles because they're idiot proof and it's not so much that it's an Xbox as it is a platform to play games" category.

Jesusthewizard

Nov 18, 2009
Inkidu said:
I would love to see Total War: Shogun 2 come to consoles. They're not exactly frantic games and it could work even though I'll admit there would be a learning curve. I understand though that I'm probably in the end all minority of "I use consoles because they're idiot proof and it's not so much that it's an Xbox as it is a platform to play games" category.
Just no.

we all know the strategy games of all sorts wouldn't work well on the console its not that its too complex its just that its not built for it. (Though there are a few exceptions)

The one of the main selling points of total war games is that its huge and "perdy" if we ported to consoles could you honestly say it would be a good port? regardless of how much effort the developers put into it.

oh and two words.

>>>>no mouse<<<<

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
... Coz most console gamers are oversugared 12 years old that dont have the attention span for puzzle games?...

for reals though, i dont see why there would be a major difference in sales. Some like Consoles, some like PC, buy games on either.

And btw, i am aware that there are enough screaming 12 year olds on PC too.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
John the Gamer said:
Pc gaming is a zombie now. Coming back from the brink of destruction.
Bollocks! Consoles are just marketed better because each console is run by one company with an advertising budget. The PC market is more of a wholesale market, different companies selling different components.

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
I think that shows a bit of wise choices console fans are making. Portal is not really much of a "replay" type game so they will get the most amount of bang for there buck. Why buy something that is only truly fun once or twice and has a multiplayer mode built around not being repayable with multiple people? While something like Left 4 Dead offer's, nay, demands repeated play throughs. The puzzles in Portal/2 don't have the thrill the third time through since there's not much to really find to improve the way you get through the level unlike L4D where there are many possibilities and many ways to go about a level some being better then others.

Nothing against Portal 2 but I have the PC version for just that reason. Also because I can mod around with it and add new content when the game is finished unlike the limited amount of modifications I could on a console with the same game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
666Chaos said:
Doesnt surprise me. Its way overpriced any every single person I know who has a console and is interested is waiting for the price to drop. The game is just not worth paying full price because well it makes the Medal of Honor campaign look long and it has no replayability. Since its cheaper on the PC and a ton of PC gamers are obsessed with valve it is no wonder that version sold more copies.
There is the Co-op campaign as well. And it's still longer than most FPS Single Players out nowadays.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
RejjeN said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
OutrageousEmu said:
They probably don't count since the free pc copy isn't a sale
well that's what we're wondering, if the free copies count as a sale on steam

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
iRevanchist said:
HAHA! WE WON! PC GAMING FTW!
And here we probably find the reason why this occured.

Portal has been held up and honoured as a notable example of a PC centred developer making a well recieved game (look at Valve's other console releases, they've all seemingly been the proverbial 'neglected step-child' of the porting family).

Of course Portal 2 did better on the PC than on consoles, it's primarily a PC title.

Are we now also going to be shocked and amazed by observations that Red Alert on the Playstation wasn't as fondly remembered as it's PC counterpart?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I wonder if they count in PS3 sales to that given the free coupon.
What I'm really interested in is which console won. I want to know how much that free Steam coupon did.
Logan Westbrook said:
If Valve really doesn't ever discuss lead platforms and optimization, then it's probably unique among developers in doing so - or indeed, not doing so.
I call BS, they said Portal 2 would be best on PS3 several times.