People are bitching way too much about the XBONE

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
People are going to have to put up with DRM if they buy games and consoles that have DRM, thereby rewarding the industry for using it. We should not accept DRM in any way, shape or form. When a company has a way to stop piracy that punishes the pirates rather than treating their customers like criminals they would be stupid not to do so.
There, I did what I could to fix that for you.

josemlopes said:
You guys seem to think that what I said was:
"The line-up is better, therefore its the best console choise".

No, that is not what I said. What I said was:
"***** all you want but at least ***** about valid points, dont dismiss things that are not bad just because its assossiated with the console."
No, I got that. And what several of us said in response was, "Yes, we are dismissing the things that are not bad, because they don't even come close to outweighing the things that are bad. Swallowing razor blades is a really bad idea, too, and dipping them in chocolate first doesn't change that."

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Even though some people are misinformed about just how restrictive the Xbone is, I kinda want people to keep bitching. Makes it more possible that the shitty DRM stuff will go away, and I want it to. It's the single most important thing keeping me from actively supporting it, instead of just accepting that I will want to get it eventually.

There are some good things about it, the launch titles being one of them. Getting 2 free games a month to keep as a gold subscriber on the 360 was a good gift. Part of me also holds hope that the cloud stuff isn't just a load of crap and that it can actually lead to some awesome innovation. If Microsoft fixes the used game and online stuff, I will be so happy.

In the meantime, let the naysayers keep complaining. Microsoft needs to know that it's a shitty practice.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
dreadedcandiru99 said:
CaptQuakers said:
People are going to have to put up with DRM if they buy games and consoles that have DRM, thereby rewarding the industry for using it. We should not accept DRM in any way, shape or form. When a company has a way to stop piracy that punishes the pirates rather than treating their customers like criminals they would be stupid not to do so.
There, I did what I could to fix that for you.

How does it punish you ? Please I would love to know ?

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
People are going to have to put up with DRM because there are too many greedy people in the world who won't pay for games, We should just be glad we aren't getting more DRM. When a company has a way to stop piracy they would be stupid not to do so. Yeah it isn't ideal but how would you feel about people stealing your stuff that you worked hard on time after time ? Would you let them continue or would you try and stop them ?

As for the used games I would love to see used games be banned all together and both consoles to use a steam style discount system. But I have never been a fan of used games.
Piracy as a major problem has been debunked about a million times.

You actually gain more sales from piracy then you lose. Because some of those pirates WILL buy the full game, others will show the game to their friends who may also buy it.

The "word of mouth" effect from downloading a pirated game and talking about is basically free ad space.

Indie devs understand this. Major publishers don't, mostly because they hire big important people in suits to tell them that piracy is the reason their "Triple A" title "only" sold 3 million copies, and its horseshit.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Coming from a PS fanboy (ish)

PS4:
1-Deep Down - Little too much like Dark souls by the looks of it.
2-Drive Club - Not a racing game fan.
3-Knack - Not a fan of these kiddie adventure games either (spyro is another example)
4-The Order: 1886 - not a fan of steam punk but it seems interesting.
5-Killzone: Shadow Fall -I missed 3 but my opinion of 3 would determine this opinion.
6-Final Fantasy XV - The only FF I liked was 10.
7-Infamous: Second Son - got the first for free got sick of it a few missions in, never played the second.
8-Kingdom Hearts 3 - 0 fucks given.

XBONE:
1-Ryse - too many QTEs
2-Quantum Break - still have no idea what it is.
3-D4 - has kinect (from what I saw) so I'm not interested.
4-Sunset Overdrive - I think looked really fun ... Brink with monsters.
5-Crimson Dragon - Played dragons lair and didn't enjoying that (even if the controls never sucked).
6-Project Spark - little big planet but good
7-Dead Rising 3 - you spelled "day z" wrong
8-Forza Motorsport 5 - again, not a racing guy
9-Halo - never enjoyed this series, just not my cup of tea
10-Killer Instinct - don't like fighting games either ... what do I like?
11-Untitled Black Studios Game - didn't see anything.
12-Fantasia: Music Evolved - kinect game, read above.
13-Kinect Sports Rivals - kinect game, read above

Exclusives wise microsoft win to me with 1 interesting game but 1 game doesn't make up for the downfalls. Anyway, they are only the exclusives we know about.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
People are going to have to put up with DRM because there are too many greedy people in the world who won't pay for games, We should just be glad we aren't getting more DRM. When a company has a way to stop piracy they would be stupid not to do so. Yeah it isn't ideal but how would you feel about people stealing your stuff that you worked hard on time after time ? Would you let them continue or would you try and stop them ?

As for the used games I would love to see used games be banned all together and both consoles to use a steam style discount system. But I have never been a fan of used games.

You actually gain more sales from piracy then you lose. Because some of those pirates WILL buy the full game, others will show the game to their friends who may also buy it.

The "word of mouth" effect from downloading a pirated game and talking about is basically free ad space.

Indie devs understand this. Major publishers don't, mostly because they hire big important people in suits to tell them that piracy is the reason their "Triple A" title "only" sold 3 million copies, and its horseshit.
True it can be used and some might ( Big might) buy the game but most won't.

I guess I just don't see it as a big issue at all, My internet hasn't gone down for more than 24 hours in over 5 years and even if it did I could always just use my phone to get it too "call home". As an issue I feel it is so minor.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:

I guess I just don't see it as a big issue at all, My internet hasn't gone down for more than 24 hours in over 5 years and even if it did I could always just use my phone to get it too "call home". As an issue I feel it is so minor.
To me its less about how often it actually becomes an issue, and more about refusing to accept system limitations that are being imposed that serve me NO benefit.

It may NEVER become an issue for your use, thats possible, but there are tons of situations where its a problem.

What if you move? You gotta get your internet hooked up first right? Might take a few days. Those are days you are not allowed to game.
Go on a cruise? That cruise ship won't have an XBONE on it if it turns into a rainy day...because there is no internet on a boat.
XBONE servers go down? (and seriously, you think that shit isn't gonna get hacked day 1 by angry gamers/hackers??) You can't play.

Remember when PSN went down for 24 days? If that had been XBONE, that would be 23 days that you wouldn't even be able to play single player.

"My internet is great, so this doesn't bother me" is a standard fall back point, but there is more going on then just you and your ISP.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:

To me its less about how often it actually becomes an issue, and more about refusing to accept system limitations that are being imposed that serve me NO benefit.

It may NEVER become an issue for your use, thats possible, but there are tons of situations where its a problem.

What if you move? You gotta get your internet hooked up first right? Might take a few days. Those are days you are not allowed to game.
Go on a cruise? That cruise ship won't have an XBONE on it if it turns into a rainy day...because there is no internet on a boat.
XBONE servers go down? (and seriously, you think that shit isn't gonna get hacked day 1 by angry gamers/hackers??) You can't play.

Remember when PSN went down for 24 days? If that had been XBONE, that would be 23 days that you wouldn't even be able to play single player.

"My internet is great, so this doesn't bother me" is a standard fall back point, but there is more going on then just you and your ISP.
why would you take a gaming system on a cruise?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
80sboy said:
Actually, KH3 and FF15 are coming to the Xbone also.
Really? That makes me quite happy actually as I feel I might end up getting an xbox because of my friends. Unlike what appears to be the majority of these forums I almost exclusively play with friends online rather than by myself and if all my mates want to stick with the xbox (so far they do) I will get one because thats were the fun is for me. Sure I'll try to convince them the PS4 is better but somehow I don't care so deeply to try, I must be the only guy on this forum which isn't going to mind the xbox and that makes me feel bad :/

But back to the original point! Game journalists are still journalists and there are plenty of bad ones who love to be sensationalist black/white fear mongers.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Outcast107 said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:

Rain?[/quote]

I am glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking that. Where you get a decent sizes tv from ?

Look I will agree DRM sucks balls but is the massive game breaking issue everyone makes it out to be ? For me personally no, I will still spend hours playing with my friends and if my internet does drop for whatever reason I could always use my phone to connect it for verification

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Demon ID said:
80sboy said:
Actually, KH3 and FF15 are coming to the Xbone also.
Really? That makes me quite happy actually as I feel I might end up getting an xbox because of my friends. Unlike what appears to be the majority of these forums I almost exclusively play with friends online rather than by myself and if all my mates want to stick with the xbox (so far they do) I will get one because thats were the fun is for me. Sure I'll try to convince them the PS4 is better but somehow I don't care so deeply to try, I must be the only guy on this forum which isn't going to mind the xbox and that makes me feel bad :/

But back to the original point! Game journalists are still journalists and there are plenty of bad ones who love to be sensationalist black/white fear mongers.
Eh same here. I think I might buy both but most of the stuff doesn't really effect me at the moment. Plus I rather see how it handles personal then make the worst case scenario.

Zenn3k said:
Hmm maybe but never got bored even when the weather was shitty outside of the cruise. There was always a a lot of stuff to do and places to go on the ship. Unless we are thinking two different types of cruises.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
I'm more interested to see how the 3rd party publishers would react to the situation.

The Internet has been the same for years.
Ask around about CoD and you'll hear what a horrible pathetic game that is. And then 90% of the people who complain would go and buy it.
Ask around about what people think about online DRM and you'll hear how bad it is. And then most of these people will go buy Diablo III and Sim City.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
Outcast107 said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:

Rain?

I am glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking that. Where you get a decent sizes tv from ?

Look I will agree DRM sucks balls but is the massive game breaking issue everyone makes it out to be ? For me personally no, I will still spend hours playing with my friends and if my internet does drop for whatever reason I could always use my phone to connect it for verification
Yeah...it might not effect you in the long run. But when one choice is heavy DRM restriction and loss of product ownership and the other is...no DRM and owning your games.

Isn't the choice pretty damn obvious? Especially when both consoles will BOTH get most of the best games?

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Outcast107 said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:

Rain?

Yeah...it might not effect you in the long run. But when one choice is heavy DRM restriction and loss of product ownership and the other is...no DRM and owning your games.

Isn't the choice pretty damn obvious? Especially when both consoles will BOTH get most of the best games?
No, The Microsoft system is like the Steam system (Steam not having the same type of DRM of course) that too me is a good thing, I hate disc's I would love for them to never be needed again.

AI dislike the PS line up quite a bit as well, It does nothing for me and it never will, So I will go with the console I know has the games I like. Plus the ones I know my friends are getting.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Swallowing razor blades is a really bad idea, too, and dipping them in chocolate first doesn't change that."
The thing is that everyone is saying that the chocolate is just as bad as the razor blades, thats what Im trying to get across. Im not saying that the razor blades look better then they did before having the chocolate.

Now you are making me want chocolate :(

Either way, the "way too much" of the title of this topic is for the things that dont really did anything wrong, like the line-up for example (you can see in the image that it even extends to gaming journalism). For the things that did do wrong (DRM) it sure should be criticised as most as it can.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Outcast107 said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:
Zenn3k said:
CaptQuakers said:

Rain?

No, The Microsoft system is like the Steam system (Steam not having the same type of DRM of course) that too me is a good thing, I hate disc's I would love for them to never be needed again.

AI dislike the PS line up quite a bit as well, It does nothing for me and it never will, So I will go with the console I know has the games I like. Plus the ones I know my friends are getting.
Ahh...you're a Battlefield, COD, Generic Shooter #1053 gamer. Thats all you had to say.

I'm also going to be gaming on the console all my friends have, and EVERY SINGLE FRIEND I HAVE is going PS4. :)

As far as steam and disks. I like owning what I buy. I trust valve enough with steam to not worry about it. I don't trust Microsoft at all.

I prefer physical medium, I want disks, I want that game in my hand before I put it in the console...thats why I have a console. If I wanted digital downloads and steam...I'd just use Steam. Why would I want a worse version of steam that won't have mods, will cost more, and is also 10x more restrictive...especially when anything "exclusive" to xbone will also be released on the PC.

You could build a nice rig for $600 and be much happier.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
CaptQuakers said:
The once a day online requirement is an issue, not only because some people have shit internet, but also because it makes the console reliant on Microsoft's servers. Without a connection to those servers, the console can only be used to play blu-ray/DVD films.

Now here's the thing: Those servers won't be online forever. Every online service gets taken down sooner or later (The original xbox's servers for example, were taken down back in 2010), only with the xbox one it means you can no longer play your singleplayer games as well as your multiplayer ones. So, as soon as it's no longer profitable for Microsoft to keep them running, they'll take the servers down (Probably to focus on the xbox two or whatever the next console will be called), which will turn your console into an overly expensive blu-ray player.

Plus, Microsoft doesn't give a shit about backwards compatibility any more. So all of your xbox one games will be made worthless as soon as those servers go too.

I can whip out any of my old consoles (all of which are no longer supported by their developers) and play the classics whenever I want, even though some of those consoles are over fifteen years old. That won't be the case with the xbox one, and it's all because of this stupid online requirement.

Banzaiman

Jun 7, 2013
Both lineups have me going 'meh' while shrugging my shoulders, but I agree that a bad console should not tarnish a good game. Regardless, I'm glad to see people saying that despite games being good on a bad console, they're not going to buy the console to stick it to Microsoft that we've finally had enough. Though I'm disappointed in Sony's online fee, it's a step back from their own PS3 which I think sold so well because of that free online component. Still, all you have to do is look better than the competition to sell, and Sony certainly did that, though back to the original point the games may very well be good. Shame they'll hardly be given a chance because of their exclusivity status, but if you jump on board a sinking ship maybe it's your fault for choosing it over the other one.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Nah, I appreciate it when journalist remain objective *to a point*. There comes a time when you have to call a quagmire a quagmire. You can't just continue offering equal treatment for companies bringing radically different ideologies to the table. Doubly so when one of those ideologies is clearly not in the best interest of the people you're supposedly serving.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
CaptQuakers said:

firstly, if i wanted the DRM free expeince on day one i would pirate, out of some sense of stupid loyalty/respect i don't

this is also relevant to the DRM debate http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction