People are bitching way too much about the XBONE

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Jago1130 said:
Your right though, I do deserve amazing, immersive games that I can easily share with my friends, good thing Xbone will give me that.
If you're a good little drone and check in every 24 hours.

And no, don't throw 'steam does the same' at me because:

1) They don't, you can play months in offline mode. I can't do the same with the XBone.

2) Steam actually discounts games which offers me a value for the inconvenience of their DRM. MS almost NEVER reduces prices on their titles on XBL.

3) Steam cost me precisely zero dollars and zero cents.

See: /this/ is my main beef with the XBone and it's one not any apologist has come close to addressing. Explain to me in simple terms how my being forced to contact them every day benefits /me/ in any way shape or form. Not how it benefits them, I don't give a toss.

Convince me that it actually has some benefit to me, and I might consider it an actual benefit.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Wyvern65 said:
oliver.begg said:
this one has a 2 billion dollar Verified price tag for gamestop in the US alone

assuming the publisher takes 30% of sales, thats nearly 700 million they are lossing per year for sure
Economics: you're doing it wrong.

If I sell you something I bought from someone else, how much has the person I bought it from 'lost'?

The correct answer is Zero Dollars.

If I sell a whole bunch of things other people sold me that they bought new somewhere else and I make money from that (see e-bay or craigslist for example,) how much have the original creators 'lost'?

The correct answer is Zero Dollars.

The game companies make their money, all the money they are entitled to make. Every game that is sold used was bought new at some point in time.

No other industry in existence believes that when something is sold 'used' they deserve a cut of the money: because they don't.
except that gamestop employes will tell you when you come to the counter with a new game, to buy the used.

that is direct interfernce with a sale as far as the publisher is concered

also if i pirate a game that not a lost sale either, dosn't make it right

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Eh, the PS4s line-up isn't horrible, and the XBOX One's line-up is actually better than people thought it would be...

But I'm gonna have to go with Nintendo. They have the better games. I'm gonna hate the wait for them though.

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
oliver.begg said:
except that gamestop employes will tell you when you come to the counter with a new game, to buy the used.
Which they have every right to do.

Gamestop is in business to make money for gamestop. They are not a charity organization. If they make more money from a used game then they have every right to recommend that.

Gamestop isn't magically creating used games from nothing and competing with the publishers. They are simply re-selling items that someone else already paid the game creators for. The game creators already made their money. They don't get to make it twice.

No, that capitalism. No one has the 'right' to make money. Gamestop could stop selling new games tomorrow and only sell used, would they have somehow 'hurt' the publishers by doing so?

I never mentioned piracy because it has nothing to do with your original post. I won't argue it or defend it because I don't condone it.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Wyvern65 said:
oliver.begg said:
Which they have every right to do.

Gamestop is in business to make money for gamestop. They are not a charity organization. If they make more money from a used game then they have every right to recommend that.

Gamestop isn't magically creating used games from nothing and competing with the publishers. They are simply re-selling items that someone else already paid the game creators for. The game creators already made their money. They don't get to make it twice.

No, that capitalism. No one has the 'right' to make money. Gamestop could stop selling new games tomorrow and only sell used, would they have somehow 'hurt' the publishers by doing so?

I never mentioned piracy because it has nothing to do with your original post. I won't argue it or defend it because I don't condone it.
oh i understand, but publishers arn't a charity either, and they have every right to try and squeeze every dollar. this is just a step towards that.

the difference between this and other products is twofold. firstly most other goods have a far larger margin (some electronics or accessories are approaching 2000%), and secondly they have support industries to make money off (hence the increase in DLC not in the box)

i expect to see them try to get the 40USD profit gamestop pulls from a game soon as well, probally by forcing up the RRP, and its easy to see why when games are costing as much as 100 million to make

you say the market allows gamestop to do what it does, but it also allows publishers to react, and they have a right to make a profit as well

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Colt47 said:
TehCookie said:
When DRM doesn't let you play a game it doesn't matter how good it is. I've learned my lesson with Steam. I'm going to use my precognition powers that says the PS4 will have more JRPG exclusives later one and that's my favorite genre.
You really don't need precognition for that considering Japan isn't even on the supported list for Xbox One. Japan primarily makes games for it's local populace first and then exports if it looks like the game is very successful, and since there is no Xbox presence, the chance of them making an Xbox One game is fairly minimal. Also the PS4 allows importation of games from Japan, so even if they don't release the game to the states or Europe, people can still play them.
You can replace procog powers with common sense if you want since they both have the same level of rarity :p

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
TehCookie said:
Colt47 said:
TehCookie said:
When DRM doesn't let you play a game it doesn't matter how good it is. I've learned my lesson with Steam. I'm going to use my precognition powers that says the PS4 will have more JRPG exclusives later one and that's my favorite genre.
You really don't need precognition for that considering Japan isn't even on the supported list for Xbox One. Japan primarily makes games for it's local populace first and then exports if it looks like the game is very successful, and since there is no Xbox presence, the chance of them making an Xbox One game is fairly minimal. Also the PS4 allows importation of games from Japan, so even if they don't release the game to the states or Europe, people can still play them.
You can replace procog powers with common sense if you want since they both have the same level of rarity :p
Considering how many people still appear to support the Xbox One I think I'm going to agree with you. XD

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Jago1130 said:
OP is dead on.

MS did a terrible job getting in front of this thing, they let rumor get out, and color opinion, and from that point the bias has been crazy.

MS has since come out and satisfied all my concerns, so I'll be getting one. On Day One. You see, I'm already used to my hard copies of games (if i even get one) being useless after install. I'm a PC gamer too. I can't remember the last time that I bought a disc, let alone bought a disc and then was able to do anything with it after installing the game.

My actual "ownership" experience will be better with this, not worse. Seems like people round here a little too hung up on some outdated plastic medium.

Sony came out with a cutesy video, but in actuality its going to be easier for me to share my games with my friends on the One than it is for PS4 users...

Not sure why I'm bothering with this. Facts don't seem to be sinking in around here.
Easier to share? you mean like, you'll give your friend your game and not be able to get it back and that's somehow sharing, right, I get that.

Sep 24, 2008
The best game ever on a device I never want in my home means nothing to me. The best game to me is the game that gives me everything that I desire. That's not just game play, but accessibility as well.

Rift or any mmo might be mind blowing, but if I don't like the accessibility of paying 15 dollars a month to feel compelled to play a game all the time to make sure I get my money's worth today... it's not the game for me. I love the Disgaea series, but if it means I have to buy an entire system for that one series when no other exclusives interests me... it's not the game for me. If the tripe that I must swallow for the Xbox One, having to hunt and search for a broadband service that gives the 1.5 mb/s and then to upgrade just to have the minimum recommended, and the rampant disrespect of the damn President of Interactive Entertainment of Microsoft openly gives me to play a few games that catches my interest?

No.

Because it's not about the games. Microsoft drew that line in the sand themselves. Games are almost tangential now. It's about a challenge now. Is the consumer king, or has the industry now come to rule the land? Do I deserve respect for being the consumer, or can the industry shit on me and then call me out for whining about it.

It's. a. fucking. luxury. item.

Luxury.

If Microsoft thinks that me bending over backwards proving myself to THEM is any where near the idea of luxury, they can take a walk. I can find things at my speed other places. Hopefully people wise up and will understand a few nice shinys are not worth their spot as the Once and Future King of this Domain.

MinionJoe said:
Wyvern65 said:
3) Steam cost me precisely zero dollars and zero cents.
Even more than that, for your zero dollars Steam also provides multi-player, community forums, and friends lists.

XBL only gives you one of those for the same price.
Voice chat, don't forget voice chat. Voice chat that I use to play games that aren't even on steam with friends.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Well, this is an internet message board for gaming. People hate on corps as people want to do. (Though there are far worse forums for Signal:Noise in discussion)

Regarding the lineup, I'm just glad that nothing I'm personally invested in has been made a system exclusive (*yet*). Feel sorry for the guys and gals who're into Killer Instinct enough to now be considering biting the bullet on an whole system purchase, for example.

Frankly, to revisit the Signal-to-Noise metaphor, I understand why businesses throw money at making titles exclusive to move their plastic, but it's a noisey and frictional process in the larger picture of developing and enjoying videogames. It would be nice to cut out a lot of those middlemen and platforms, but to poach a line from Firefly, "Most of the people in the world are middlemen and don't take kindly to being cut out.."

Ahh well, lets try and enjoy ourselves anyway.

Saqqara

Jun 14, 2013
I was really looking forward to what the next generation of console were going to be, until I watched the Xbone reveal. I had hoped that E3 would clear it all up but things just got worse. We have been Xbox fans since it came out, but this time around PS4 is the way to go.

I don't want a creepy Microsoft camera and microphone spying on my family, especially after the latest news regarding PRISM. Also, our internet is badly congested where I live and will not be getting better anytime soon, that the Xbone has no (realistic) offline mode is not suitable for us. Then there is the contempt consumers were treated with by being told that 360 is the offline version. I am a parent and I am paying attention. My kids will not grow up with the idea that invasion of privacy is okay as long as you're not doing something wrong. Microsoft deserves the hate and it needs to rethink its policies before launch.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
The issue isn't the amount of exclusives. The issue is how Microsoft is trying to utterly control its own consumers. The always online requirement and the inability to trade games with friends (much less the used game market) are measures designed to control its audience and blatantly overprice games and get away with it.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
What ever the exclusives are (which aren't all that interesting) it won't change how anti-consumer the X-BONE is.

You can't just ignore a thing like that

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Jago1130 said:
TrevHead said:
they are too much geared towards "bro gamers"
Oh yea, when I see sunset overdrive, and project spark I really think, "wow, MS really is after that bro gamer crowd". lol

Stop trying to act like you're some better class of gamer.
Just because I used "bro gamer" as an easy label for the FPS & Sports crowd doesn't negate my argument that MS has a habit of been too focussed towards those gamers.

And yeah they might throw out the odd quirky title but like Ninty and Bayonetta 2 it's not the norm and is just a token gesture.

Not that I'm really bothered what MS does with the X1 as I don't plan on buying one, my problem with MS has been the last couple of years on the 360.

Watcheroftrends

Jan 5, 2009
Half of the games on the Xbox's list aren't even going to be available at launch. If we compare the exclusives titles available for preorder off of GameStop (which hints at a reasonable timeline for release):

Xbox One,

1. Dead Rising 3
2. Ryse
3. Forza 5

PS4,

1. Drive Club
2. Knack
3. Killzone Shadow Fall
4. Infamous Second Son
5. The Order

That only leaves cross platform games. Now, ask yourself, which console doesn't have a bunch of bullshit that no one in their right mind would ask be forced on them?

Which console doesn't make you to buy a gimmick device that may invade your privacy and, if unplugged, stops it from working? Which console costs $100 less at launch and has a cheaper online service that gives more to its subscribers and isn't filled with adds (and gives you a launch title for free if you subscribe)? Which console theoretically has 50% more power under the hood(teraflops)? Which console will have an actual used game market and not some proprietary system clearly implemented to make M$ more money? Which console isn't so arrogant and greedy that you have to pay for their online service to use another online service like Netflix that you already pay for?

The way I see it, if you get an Xbox One, you are making a mistake. Also, I hesitate to include Ryse as a release title because I can almost guarantee it will be the first "flop" on either system. Quick time events? Really?