People really like Thor Ragnarok

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017/reviews

Ragnarok seems more self-aware than even Guardians of the Galaxy.
[O]ne of the boldest and most sensuous of the MCU releases... outrageously entertaining, sure to please all ages & turn Thor into a far more popular character with mainstream audiences..
Both the banter and the fighting, it should be noted, are excellent, so whether you go to superhero movies for the glossy escapism or the pulse-pounding action, you'll get your large soda's worth.
Congrats to to Taika Waititi on a film that sounds awesome and I can't wait to see.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I just watched the "What the Flick?!" review and it seems Ragnarok finally delivers a good Thor movie. I was really hoping it would be good considering how awesome the trailer was and the movie seems very in tune with the 80s vibe the trailer gave off. I doubt it'll be more self-aware that Guardians, not that it really matters much though. So yeah, I definitely can't wait to see Ragnarok when it comes out.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at thread...

Okay, when was GotG self-aware? It's lighthearted, sure, but both GotG films play their tropes straight. Something like Galaxy Quest is self-aware because it's based on mocking the tropes of its genre. GotG doesn't - they're simple space adventure films.

That aside, it's good to hear. I'm mainly interested in this film because of its director (since this is the guy who directed Hunt for the Wilderpeople), but hey, if a Thor movie could actually be good, more's the pleasure.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
inu-kun said:
First of all the poster for the film is abysmal. Second af all judging from the quotes it seems it is exactly the McDonalds level quality the entire Marvel film universe degrades into. Self aware for the people who come watch feel like they are intelligent for pointing out tropes, banter to please the kiddies and make new memes and mainstream audience appeal so they won't actually need to tell an interesting story.
Still better than DC's formula. Dark, edgy, and depressing because that's "adult" and "deep". Also, more Jesus metaphors than the Bible.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
inu-kun said:
First of all the poster for the film is abysmal. Second af all judging from the quotes it seems it is exactly the McDonalds level quality the entire Marvel film universe degrades into. Self aware for the people who come watch feel like they are intelligent for pointing out tropes, banter to please the kiddies and make new memes and mainstream audience appeal so they won't actually need to tell an interesting story.
Or its entertaining and, wait for it, FUN!
That doesn't mean they won't still tell an interesting story.
Yeah i mainly go for the action and banter (and I think my girlfriend is mostly interested in shirtless Chris Hemsworth) but they still manage to tell interesting stories. Those stories feel more real because of the banter, because the characters feel more real when they can take the piss out of the situation and say "this is weird, let's fucking deal with it"
Because superheroes are weird. Thor is a literal God/alien that exists in today's world, there's gonna be some awkwardness and humor if he tries to interact with regular humans

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Thor have always seemed an perplexing character in the MCU in that while he ostensibly offers the most imaginative and expansive setting for telling stories his films have always appeared strangely small in scale. Appropriate juxtaposition in the case of Thor 1, severely mediocre in the case of The Dark World.

I will say Ragnarok certainly seems to have achieved that sense of scale and "epicness" lacking in the previous films though I'm still unsure of the tone and style its adopted. Not that I doubt it will be entertaining just that it appears unoriginal... As though the only direction given was "Make this more like Guardians of the Galaxy!"

Plus I'm finding the MCUs overly flippant "any excuse for a gag" style of humour increasingly tiresome by this stage, though that's probably just me.

Oh well I'll still be checking it out soon regardless, time will tell I suppose.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
I knew nothing about it until I saw the trailer. I kind of write off superhero films at the moment.

The trailer did look awesome. A proper 80s, bordering on Flash Gordon kind of vibe to it. If I did watch superhero films, this would be the one.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
inu-kun said:
DrownedAmmet said:
inu-kun said:
Or its entertaining and, wait for it, FUN!
That doesn't mean they won't still tell an interesting story.
Yeah i mainly go for the action and banter (and I think my girlfriend is mostly interested in shirtless Chris Hemsworth) but they still manage to tell interesting stories. Those stories feel more real because of the banter, because the characters feel more real when they can take the piss out of the situation and say "this is weird, let's fucking deal with it"
Because superheroes are weird. Thor is a literal God/alien that exists in today's world, there's gonna be some awkwardness and humor if he tries to interact with regular humans
But here's the thing, you don't need to repeat the same formula again and again for fun films. You can actually take risks and have heroes that are not a "charming rogue" archtype or have plots that can be described in mroe than one sentence. Marvel films are literally what happens when making films becomes a conveyor belt. At the start they actually gave a fuck and made films that are different than GotG.
Thor isn't really the "charming rogue" archtype also I personally think that cival war is very different from GOTG

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saw the movie today.

It's fun, flashy and quite meaningless. Certainly makes the previous two movies look even duller by comparison. A colleague pointed out how the movie is basically two halves of a cutscene with a big meandering whatever in the middle - which reminds me of Yahtzee's take on Far Cry 4 - and I have to agree.

Cate is terrific as the villain but she doesn't get to do much in the plot - she makes an entrance, then essentially waits for Thor for the rest of the movie - and I think they overuse the gag where somebody's about to say something serious or do something brave, only to follow up with a snark or a pratfall. There has to be at least 30 of those.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I'm one of the few who thought the first Thor was pretty underrated and enjoyed it. Dark World was shit though.

That being said, Ragnarok looks incredibly entertaining and hope its good.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Saelune said:
Haters gonna hate.
You know I've always wondered if the opposite hold true, lovers gonna love.
Like if some dudes are to be ignored simply because they weren't going to like it, regardless, are there dudes to be similarly ignored because they were going to like it, regardless?

Like I know we have fanboys, but I never see a "fanboys gonna fanboy" post...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Saelune said:
Haters gonna hate.
You know I've always wondered if the opposite hold true, lovers gonna love.
Like if some dudes are to be ignored simply because they weren't going to like it, regardless, are there dudes to be similarly ignored because they were going to like it, regardless?

Like I know we have fanboys, but I never see a "fanboys gonna fanboy" post...
Maybe. I cant wait for November 3.

I mean hey, I get it. Alot of people dont like the MCU. But like...why do you guys torture yourselfs? I hate MLP, I really hate it. I wish no one liked it. But that aint gonna happen, and me complaining about the MLP movie for example, wont make me like it, wont stop people who do like it from liking it, and doesnt improve the world any.

No one is dragging me to the MLP movie.

No one is dragging most of the people here to see Thor. (If you are dragged to it though and hate it, I guess you get more leeway)

It just feels like vegans complaining about how bad a chain of steakhouses are. Nothing the steakhouse can do short of closing is going to appease them.

Most of the people complaining seemed to have never liked MCU to begin with.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Natemans said:
I'm one of the few who thought the first Thor was pretty underrated and enjoyed it. Dark World was shit though.

That being said, Ragnarok looks incredibly entertaining and hope its good.
Pretty much my opinion, enjoyed the first one a lot, thought Dark World was atrocious

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Thought this was good, had fun watching it and it'll probably go into my dumb fun film rotation. Other half loved it but she loves everything.

In terms of specific critique there were a few things wrong but it didn't hurt overall and it helped that most of those things were at the start of the film

OK so from a film perspective the pacing was very abrupt in the first act, all jump cuts and too much happening. There was a lot of setup to get through as they pivoted the ongoing story and I almost lost interest until Thor got ejected from the Bifrost. After that the film slowed down and got into its rhythm a bit more.

The humour was a little hit and miss, more hit than miss but a few jokes fell flat, particularly the pratfalls. They oversold some jokes and the best ones for me were the ones where Thor had Loki to feed him responses, the snake anecdote for instance wasn't very funny but Loki's smirk was.

All of Thor's friends die and no one seems to care, there's no real payoff for that and he doesn't seem to have noticed.

Some of the fights were a little boring and I'd prefer asymmetric weaponry, the best fight in The Dark World was the throne room one where the technomagic Asgardians are fighting a pure sci-fi Dark Elf boarding party.

Liked how colourful it was in the middle act and liked almost everything introduced there, the bit I liked the least was the Doctor Strange bit, which was badly rushed and only existed to provide a scene for the end of the Doctor Strange credits. Compared to insane Jeff Goldblum and Valkyrie it just felt like it was included to be there.