People You Hate Whom Everyone Else Loves

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Seth "freakin" Rogan. I think he's boring and one note. I thought Sausage Party was pretentious and juvenile. His earlier films were fresh and interesting, but I think he needs to come to grips with the fact he's far removed from a teenager these days.
I would also add Seth Mcfarlane for somewhat similar reasons. Seth Green gets a free pass because he is relatively self-aware/deprecating and voiced one of my favourite Mass Effect characters. Above, he made me laugh where the others have not. I get the strange feeling that the former take themselves too seriously, or it might be something else that I am picking up but unable to put down.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Funhaus. My fucking god, from the first day I saw their videos, when they merged with Rooster Teeth they rubbed me wrong, but it was their support video for the new Battlefront game that turned them from, "Irks me" to "I know this is wrong, but I want you to die." I have an almost irrational hatred of them, anything with them in it is much less for it, Burnie and the others always rave about how hilarious they are. I find them boring, insulting, relying on potty humor and having no substance or intelligence.

I actually want them to die or to never exist in my sphere if interest ever again. Fuck them, fuck their transparent paid support for a game that was obviously an insult to gamers everywhere. I consider them corrupt liars, and in my book, only HITLER is lower in that scale.

On a less random hatred of guts note, people I think are overrated: Donald Trump (Yes I know), Quentin Tarentino, General Patton, TotalBuiscuit (I sometimes watch his stuff, but generally its waaay too long and dry), Orwell, The God Emperor of Mankind, Jesus, literally any medieval hero/king/chieftain/ect.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
'Hate' is top strong, but I habe a profound dislike of The Rock. Don't get why people find him charming at all.

Also, Mel Gibson. But already waaay before he discredited himself ad
the religious, racist nut.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Quentin Tarantino. He's an awful director. Apart from one *really good* movie and a half decent one, that's literally the only reason people like him or constantly refer to them """""""""""""""talent""""""""""""".

He has, time and again, proven that Pulp was a fluke. I mean I don't hate him ... c'mon, get real ... hate is strong and shouldn't be cheapened ... but Tarantino's films I thoroughly dislike. I mean I'm sure they're a nice person IRL, yadda yadda, but it's like people make up reasons to like him and one of them is him as a director ... he's not any good.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
RedRockRun said:
Andrew Hussie, Toby Fox, Randall Munroe

Your turn.
Toby Fox? The dude who made Undertale? Why do you hate him? For something he said or did, or as an extension for creating an extremely obnoxious fanbase? Serious question, because I haven't seen or heard from him making public appearances other than answering a few interview questions.

My turn? Okay, but don't kill me for this:

Heath Ledger. I thought his portrayal of the Joker in the Dark Knight was cringe-inducingly overacted and completely unoriginal. Goofy speech patter and abundant lip-licking doesn't make one an amazing actor, and made him came across as a tool that was trying way too hard to present himself as a sociopath. Strained and artificial, and totally unlike an ACTUAL sociopath. Also, he gets no special brownie points from me just because he died at a convenient marketing time.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
"Hate" is a strong word but I think of Chriss Pratt as "douchebag in geek's clothing".
I don't really get why he's so well-liked either. He comes off a little too played or trying too hard. Compared to another slab of hunky manmeat named Chris (i.e. Hemsworth), Pratt seems to just act like the funny all-around good guy, whereas Hemsworth actually seems to be one.

Or maybe it's just me.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I really don't care for Emma Watson and I'll never understand how so many people think she's so gorgeous. She constantly looks like she just smelled a fart and her acting is nothing special.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
MeatMachine said:
RedRockRun said:
Andrew Hussie, Toby Fox, Randall Munroe

Your turn.
Toby Fox? The dude who made Undertale? Why do you hate him? For something he said or did, or as an extension for creating an extremely obnoxious fanbase? Serious question, because I haven't seen or heard from him making public appearances other than answering a few interview questions.
I hate him for making his game which I had to hear people call the best game ever and, "As close to perfect as is possible," for what seems like a year. His fandom can only surpassed by the Homestuck fandom in terms of sheer annoyance. I'd go through any trial put before me if I could erase Undertale from existence.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Theorists. Blocked those channels on YouTube long before any of those pricks arguing over whatever social justice thing everybody should be mad at this week.

I can come up with half-baked, barely supported headcannons myself, thank you.

Throw Cinema Sins on the pyre while we're at it.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
A good chunk of modern pop artists (Taylor Swift, Niki Minaj, etc.)

If we're talking YouTubers then The Game Theorists (they'll always be that to me) lost me by jumping on the clickbait indie horror bandwagon. If I want to hear more about this week's sp00ky jumpstartle game, I'll go watch Markiplier.

"Hate" is pretty strong word methinks. There's plenty I'm indifferent to (PewDiePie, VanossGaming, Ryan Higa) but I don't really "hate" them per say.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
altnameJag said:
Throw Cinema Sins on the pyre while we're at it.
I just gradually grew less and less fond of them. After the one they did of Cap America Winter Soldier, I realized that they really were just pulling "sins" out of their asses. Their videos are so fucking long now. I assume this is due to them worrying (rightfully) that a lot of their jokes don't land, and their solution is apparently to throw more jokes at the wall and hope they stick.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Conan Obrien. His comedy is just so cringeworthy. I'm glad he didn't keep the late night job on NBC. I can't stand his self-deprication, his stupid animal faces. Everything about him make me want to eat his face with a side of wild mushrooms for the crime of making latenight worse with his presence.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Jim Sterling
there's nothing I find entertaining about some self important shit head yelling opinions at me
and every stupid youtuber that relies on volume to get their point across

I also don't like totalbiscuit
but rather because his videos are an hour long with 6 minutes of content

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Kyrian007 said:
I guess I wouldn't say hate, but if Steve Carell were to retire today it would be about 30 movies and 5 tv shows too late. I have never found him funny, in anything he has ever done. Anyone who runs with that whole "I'm so awkward, and dumb, and oblivious" (that seems to be Carell's entire one-note career) just isn't funny. Its awkward and off-putting. I'd rather leave than be around someone like that, or watch that.
I agree with most of what you're saying there, but I feel it's worth mentioning his role in The Big Short. I thought he was excellent in that movie. I've seen a few others of his where he was playing a fairly subdued dramatic role, but they were just kind of boring. I've got to say that I was genuinely entertained by him in The Big Short. It was likely due to excellent direction, as there were no bad performances in The Big Short.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Remus said:
Conan Obrien. His comedy is just so cringeworthy. I'm glad he didn't keep the late night job on NBC. I can't stand his self-deprication, his stupid animal faces. Everything about him make me want to eat his face with a side of wild mushrooms for the crime of making latenight worse with his presence.
And his fans are like a cult. Even before the late nite wars I remember people proselytizing about him. This one time I was in a class at my university and late nite tv came up; my professor was a big Carson fan and said no one could ever replace him: not Letterman and definitely not Leno, throwing in some generic Leno insult too. This kid in the back then stood up and started slowly but powerfully clapping with this completely unironic, austere look on his face - the kind of look you'd see people have on film reels documenting the Nuremberg Rallies - before sitting back down and grumbling about how Conan was such an underrated genius.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Joss Whedon comes to mind. He's not entirely devoid of talent but that talent only ever really came through on his work in television and even there his style of writing was always hopelessly juvenile. He's pretty much the patient zero for that unbearably "hip", self aware, look-at-how-fucking-ironic-I-am approach to fiction that has become a plague on modern pop culture. He writes dialogue that's tailor made to be put into a l4 year old forum signature. The sort of dialogue not written to sound natural but to be quotable. You take a look at someone like Tarantino and you see exactly how you can do something like this right. But Whedon proves that smarky self awareness is no substitute for actual wit. At least he's still better than his disciples l. Any of you played Borderlands 2? Some of the writing in that game made me almost physically ill.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Saelune said:
J.J. Abrams. A.k.a. Michael Bay with nerd glasses.
\

At least Abrams can direct well and has passion or effort. Michael Bay is just doing stupid stuff for a paycheck.