Pepsi Will Soon Make All Bottles from Plants

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
good Pepsi now dont patent that I SAID DONT BAD PEPSI BAD now be a good boy and share that with everyone DONT MAKE THAT FACE AT ME.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
It gives me hope for the future when big companies are seriously researching stuff like this.
However we still need to develop better recycling programs & coverage and have stricter recycling enforcement. I still know tons of people who don't recycle and it infuriates me.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
It's good to hear I can still recycle these new super bottles and get all of those dimes.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Let me know when they start making bottles out of bacon. Then I'll be impressed. Possibly disgusted, but very impressed.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
I knew there was a catch somewhere... The bottles are still not biodegradable. Ah well this is still a step in a good direction! And they can be recycled as well? Hey, least we won't HAVE to throw them away.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
If this is true and they replant after they use the plants in the bottles then they are one the way to a sustainable company which really most businesses should be aiming for in the next few years. At least if they want to survive and not get butt fucked by price increases

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
What? If current plastic bottles aren't already recyclable, what are they doing with them when I return them to the store for my deposit or leaving them in a big red bin outside my home every week for the state recycling program to collect?

Regardless of that though, it's good that they found a way to make bottles out of something that's more renewable than petroleum, so major kudos to PepsiCo for that one.

Also, Pepsi has always been and always will be way better than Coca-Cola.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
It's nice to see a big business dedicate itself to a more environment friendly approach, although I'm sure they are going to be making a little extra on the side because of it.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
This can only be a good thing. I mean I don't personally drink soft drinks, but this is a step in the right direction, hopefully this won't ignite another Cola Wars. I had my arm shot off in Canada during the Battle of Mt. Soda.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I support this. I'm conservative, but I still am in favour of phasing out petroleum. I'm not going to spout some dogma like claiming it's a drug or addiction, but it really is a lot of trouble, and it's going to run out eventually. If this ensures that it stretches just that little bit longer until we can find some kind of alternative that won't have us bending over for OPEC or fucking up the atmosphere then I'm down.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Greg Tito said:
While its a step in the right direction for companies to begin using excess plant materials instead of oil to make plastic, these new bottles are not biodegradeable.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eaKbvlcIK10/TKJTIdP7NcI/AAAAAAAAJd8/pa4PtOjlyFc/s400/headdesk+%28net%29.jpg

So basically, they've just found a way to reduce their own company's dependence on oil. While I'm all for finding alternate methods of production, it would help quite a bit if their bottles weren't still being used to fill landfills.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
COCA-COLA AMATIL, the company that ships Coke to us Australians, has tried doing that over here. They haven't really done very well. Actually, they make Coke taste horrible.

ekkaman

Feb 19, 2009
This is an old tech been around for years, costs more than oil based plastics thats why we have not seen it much. I got a shampoo that is 100% plant material. this and other articals makes it sound like Pepsi invented this. As for the old oils is going to run out, I guess that is why there is no more gold or silver or copper or steel in the world people do not be silly it will be around longer than you or I or your children and their children.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
About bloody time that somebody switch from petroleum derived plastics to plant derived. I'm just curious how they will go about the recycling, but that's what my scifinder access is for. Yay more distractions from actual school work...
Same way as every other plastic recycling. Seriously, the article implies that the new bottles are identical to the old ones.
(Maybe that's the writer being slightly misleading.)

But in any event, everywhere I've ever lived, soda bottles have been recyclable, and have been collected.

Unless this new type of plastic has radically different properties to existing plastic bottles, I can't see why it wouldn't be.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
If this is true and they replant after they use the plants in the bottles then they are one the way to a sustainable company which really most businesses should be aiming for in the next few years. At least if they want to survive and not get butt fucked by price increases
Article says they're using plant waste from plants already used for something else. (orange peels were mentioned, amongst other things.)