PETA Asks Texas Town to Change Its Name

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Yep, its PETA again. I knwo this isnt going to be popular, but I think its worthwhile to say just cause its funny.

<spoiler=Source+Video+Article>

<youtube=fZxjCF_icoE>

The controversial animal rights group PETA has asked the town of Turkey, Texas, to change its name to 'Tofurky' for Thanksgiving.

The animal rights group sent a letter to Mayor Pat Carson on Monday urging him to change the name of the town in time for the turkey-based holiday.

The letter claims that turkeys suffer virtually every day of their lives and that eating the vegetarian alternative Tofurky comes without the suffering of the turkeys.

PETA wrote that it'll treat the entire city to a vegan holiday feast if the name is changed.

"Thanksgiving is murder on turkeys," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman told the Associated Press. "By changing its name to 'Tofurky,' Turkey would send a clear message that delicious, savory mock meat is an easy way to celebrate without causing suffering-and give a bird something to be thankful for."

PETA stands for 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.'

Located in the Texas Panhandle, Turkey is known as the home of country music legend Bob Wills.

Residents told Amarillo's KVII-TV that they are opposed to the name change.

<spoiler=The letter sent>Letter sent from PETA to Mayor Carson of Turkey:

Dear Mayor Carson,

I am writing on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and our more than 3 million members and supporters, including thousands in Texas, with an idea that will boost Turkey into the spotlight and promote compassion: Rename your town "Tofurky" for Thanksgiving. If you agree to adopt this moniker for just one day, we'd be happy to provide a delicious, healthy vegan holiday feast for all the town's residents.

Tofurky is a savory, flavorful, "meaty" vegan entrée with wild-rice and bread-crumb stuffing that is 100 percent cruelty-free. In contrast, virtually all turkey meat sold in the U.S. comes from factory farms, where birds are confined by the thousands to filthy, barren sheds. They are drugged and bred to grow such unnaturally large upper bodies that their legs often become crippled under the weight. These bright and social animals are denied everything that is natural and important to them, and at the slaughterhouse, turkeys are still conscious when their throats are slit. Changing the town's name to Tofurky will remind people around the country that we each can have a delicious, protein-packed, and satisfying Thanksgiving meal without supporting animal abuse.

PETA's feast would feature Tofurky with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes (made with vegan margarine), and vegan apple pie topped with vanilla dairy-free ice cream. Introducing vegan cuisine to your residents would help improve their health: A vegan diet is free of the saturated animal fats and cholesterol found in meat and dairy products, and according to the American Dietetic Association, a vegan diet reduces the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and obesity.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to rename your town and give turkeys, as well as your town's citizens, something to gobble about! Please let me know of your decision.

Sincerely yours,

Tracy Reiman
Executive Vice President

<url=http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=687268#.TsXvqPKP_l0>Source

Really all I can say is that PETA must have really grew a pair to ask this of the town that <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wills>Bob Wills famously resided in (EDIT: had to fix that).

Though notice how they sent a letter, and not an emissary. Cause you know had they sent a person down there they would never have been heard from again.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...PETA might have a hard time trying to explain their stand-point to the Turkish government if they ever tried this crap over there.

It's sad really. I actually tried to like PETA. I thought they had good intentions, and were supporting a decent cause.

But they really suck at handling themselves and they just come across horribly.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I sort off get the feeling PETA is just trolling by now..

I used to like PETA a few years back, now? Meh..

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
At this point, I can't help but feel like even just posting here or reading that article is feeding a big, collective troll...

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
I half expect this to be a joke of some sort. Not to mention that it really isn't as simple as "We are named this for today." There is a process to it. Of which would more then likely not be passed by Thanksgiving if this even were to be considered.

Aug 1, 2010
God I love these people!

They are simply the greatest organization on the face of the earth. Seriously.

I hope they never stop this hilarious lunacy.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Turkeys are meant to be eaten. As long as they're killed in humane ways, there is no problem.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
This is me after reading this:

If the town does change it's name (which I doubt) I highly doubt it'll save turkeys.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
"In a related story, PETA's intended invasion of the nation of Turkey was severely delayed when their phalanx of armed trucks was stalled by a line of ducks making their way across the roadway during PETA's intended crossing of the German-Turkish border. Further delays can be expected when PETA command discovers that Germany does not actually border Turkey."

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, everyone? Pretend this doesn't exist. Don't give them any attention at all. Don't go to their site, don't talk to other people about it.

Don't feed the troll.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Erana said:
At this point, I can't help but feel like even just posting here or reading that article is feeding a big, collective troll...
agreed, but this felt far to good to actually pass up as a story. Besides, I cant stop smiling when I read that letter and I thought i'd pass the good cheer along.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Professional trolls hard at work there, I always heard they are an animal rights group but this seems to be proven wrong with every article about them.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
PETA does realize it's talking to Texas, right? I don't think the majority of a small Texan town called Turkey would appreciate a "healthy vegan Thanksgiving dinner..."
I realize that it's kind of a stereotype that Texan = super carnivore, but come on. I live in a relatively progressive town in the South, and I KNOW that shit wouldn't fly here.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Strain42 said:
...PETA might have a hard time trying to explain their stand-point to the Turkish government if they ever tried this crap over there.

It's sad really. I actually tried to like PETA. I thought they had good intentions, and were supporting a decent cause.

But they really suck at handling themselves and they just come across horribly.
hey I'm sure thats a sentiment a lot of us share. Animal Rights is an important issue that needs to be addressed, but the way PETA acts undermines any message they try to get across. I've honestly never read a story about PETA in the last couple of years that wasn't followed by a facepalm.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
For goodness sake. P.E.T.A is really working over-time on being annoyingly stupid this year.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Shame they're too busy being attention whores to actually do anything constructive.