PETA Plays Pokemon

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Remember last time with the tanookie suit? PETA actually came out and said that they were not bothered by it but used it to stir up controversy and draw attention to themselves. This is the same thing.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I support animals rights... But this is Not the right way to do it, it makes them seem like a bunch of idiots, attacking anything even remotely related to their "Cause".

Capatcha "Pig's Ear".
.... That's so appropriate. Don't let PETA hear you say that Capatcha, or they'll be gunning for you next. :p

Chaosmancer

Jul 21, 2011
After actually playing it from start to end, it wasn't too bad gameplay-wise, the fourth wall breaking part was actually an amusing touch, they remembered the Take Down recoil damage, Mega Drain does restore HP, but I'm pretty sure that Growl/Tail Whip can't miss (whereas, in this game, their equivalents can). Was quite terrible and inaccurate story-wise, but oh well.

The last battle was quite bad because of the fact that it is completely wrong in the opening speech because Ash did show concern for Pikachu (at least from what I can remember (wasn't there an episode where he tried to stop Pikachu from fighting, except Pikachu kept going... or maybe that is a completely irrelevant anime, maybe I am thinking of Fate/Stay Night, but I seem to remember there being something like that)), plus Pikachu was never in his Pokeball, and I seem to remember an episode (the one with the Squirtle Squad in it) where Ash eventually convinced Squirtle to let him dash to the Poke Mart to get a super potion... then there was the early episode where he stole Misty's bike to get to the Poke Centre.

Either way, as a game, it isn't too bad (assuming you ignore the chests), when compared to canonitical stuff, it is entirely inaccurate (well, excluding some of the moves), graphically it was rather good, had a couple of amusing moments, sound-wise, it was rather good (although I am pretty sure they just stole Pokemon music and put it in there).

As an actual message, it is annoying and terrible, and they used the wrong thing to represent it as it completely contorted what was already there (apart from a little bit of the Ghestis part).

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
You know, apart from the preaching, I really enjoyed that little game. Cruel, twisted Pokemon? I could get used to that. GameFreak, get on that. I want a dark-world Pokemon game.

Also, "Pikachu, you reall have a one-track mind"? Making fun of themselves? I like their take on this.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Chaosmancer said:
The last battle was quite bad because of the fact that it is completely wrong in the opening speech because Ash did show concern for Pikachu (at least from what I can remember (wasn't there an episode where he tried to stop Pikachu from fighting, except Pikachu kept going... or maybe that is a completely irrelevant anime, maybe I am thinking of Fate/Stay Night, but I seem to remember there being something like that)), plus Pikachu was never in his Pokeball, and I seem to remember an episode (the one with the Squirtle Squad in it) where Ash eventually convinced Squirtle to let him dash to the Poke Mart to get a super potion... then there was the early episode where he stole Misty's bike to get to the Poke Centre.
All that and more: pokemon can refuse to fight outright, and those who do forfit the match. This is how Ash lost in his first League tourney; Charizard decided it just didn't want to fight, and that was the end of that. Pikachu also refused to fight Misty's pokemon in her Gym. Of course we can't forget the episode in which James bought a Magicarp, treated it poorly, then when it evolved into a Garydos it turned on him.

This is represented in the games by the trainer needing to have certain badges by the time their pokemon reach certain levels, or the Pokemon will start resorting to using an AI attack roulette instead of obeying the player's commands (with a fifth possible attack, in which they do nothing).

Long story short; cataching a pokemon doesn't brainwash or domesticate it, at least not completely.

Finally, humans were introduced to the Pokemon world to control them because there have always been Pokemon powerful enough to destroy whole continents. This was the plot of the second movie with Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltres. Also the movie with Missingno, and the movie with the red godzilla wannabe, and probably more.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I.Muir said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Gilhelmi said:
PETA are trolling.

Do not feed the trolls.

That is all.
Damn. You beat me to it.
People, just ignore PETA. Easy as that.
I want their organization to crash and burn
Ignoring it has not proven effective so far.
In the activism market, attention = money.
Ignore them and they'll go away.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I thought PETA was for the euthenization of domesticized animals, not the freeing of them.
Yeah people keep saying this on the comments section. What the flying fuck?! How could they possibly find that a good idea? Like.. even within their warped mind-frame-work?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well to be fair, there already been a controversial that Pokemon encourage animal fights and what not but does these PETA parodies are actually effective? I mean do they really widen someone eyes and change they attitude toward Pokemon altogether?

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It's enough to make you wonder what they'll go after next:

Samus Aaron's genicidal exterination of the Metorid species
Animal Testing to make the T-virus in Resident Evil
The animal poaching that's the core of most RPGs
Any meat as powerups / health restorers
All the sacrificial Prinnies in Disgaea
Epona's slavery at the hands of Link

Can't PETA stick with using naked women to get attention?

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
Airsoftslayer93 said:
If you all really cared about animal rights you would all be vegans and would support PETA, if you can honestly say that you value the flavour of meat above the suffering of animals, then I will not only respect you, but also call you an abhorant human being.
Do not confuse veganism with P.E.T.A. They are no friend of yours, if you care for the wellbeing of animals.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Regiment said:
...That's not a proper Pokemon card. It's a Trainer card, but it has HP, which means it's a Pokemon.

Tedious fights would be a hell of a lot more amusing if you could just use Roar on a trainer and get them to piss off.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
kburns10 said:
I wonder just how bored PETA really is to come up with all these parodies. Especially ones that attack DIGITAL treatment of animals.
Not even animals... their name literally is pocket monsters... what!? We arn't allowed to make monsters fight in a world where single parents send 10 year olds off to never return?
Wow, I didn't even think of that! Doubtful that PETA did any sort of research to find out the actual name is "Pocket Monsters".

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I think I'd rather have Pokemon fight to the death than give them to PETA.

They would just kill em softly is all, at least with me they get a few pokeblocks after a match and I heal em up at a magical tissue regenerating pokecenter.

PETA would just round em up and gas em all. After all PETA is not for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. It is for the Non Usage of Any Animals and the Destruction of Domesticated Species.

I guess PNUAADDS didn't sound as catchy.

Also I don't think PETA knows what REALLY goes on inside a pokeball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VfqpqXuvPg

I want to live in one to :(

PS: sadly couldn't get the video to embed, just have to view it the old way.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
they do know that team plasma is just a front for a terrorist organization, don't they

it's like

they don't even understand that they're making fun of themselves there

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
...But Peta was the whole plot point of Pokemon Black & white!? This is old news!

Freaking N is responsible for this.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
weirdguy said:
they do know that team plasma is just a front for a terrorist organization, don't they

it's like

they don't even understand that they're making fun of themselves there
Not only does PETA know that, but they deliberately draw attention to it in the game itself and point out that the founder of Team Plasma is an evil hypocrite.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
bravetoaster said:
Specifically, what amino acids are you referring to? I'm not a vegan or knowledgeable about nutrition and my wife's not around to confirm/debunk/clarify your claim for me.
If we're talking on a scale of hundreds/thousands of years with "recently" then the same is true for protein and fat; our ancestors didn't have supermarkets, planes and trains and boats capable of transporting food thousands of miles across countries and oceans. Given that our brains require sugar to function, however, it's a safe bet that we've been eating carbohydrates pretty consistently throughout time (although it's also likely that, historically, we had a much more varied diet than the standard American diet).
Regarding fats--if you change "need" to "can use", then you're correct. As it is, you're mistaken: http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html#fattyacids (if you don't feel like following the link: you can get essential fatty acids through vegetables, nuts, and various plants/plant oils.)
I hope I quoted this right. Without getting into the biochemical details. it's not amino acids, all 20 of those are in everything you eat that has "protein." Its specific fats and proteins. A large grouping of trans fats, (fight cancer) omega fats (coat the mylin layers of your nerve cells for faster impulses AKA you think faster) and a whole list of specific fats, proteins, and fat-sugar protein-sugar derivatives that are part of your everyday cell metabolic functions that only are found in good ole meat. Now of course a full grown adult can create a complex diet of beans, fruits, vege's and other supplements to create the molecules found here. But my main issue is allowing children who need these proteins, fats, etc and are too immature to deal with the complexities of a vegan diet for growing bodies. The older you are when you make the decision to stop eating meat the better off you are. And of course with all things in life gluttony creates poor health.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I want everybody on the Escapist who cares about PETA to make a rousing shout. Ready? Go!

I like animals but I also like Pokemon. Is that so wrong?

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
That sounds really funny. Its a parody done to death, but different versions are still pretty fun.

But isn't PETA more about euthanizing pets than 'freeing them?' (Penn and Teller's Bullshit)