PETA Unleashes Super Tofu Boy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PETA Unleashes Super Tofu Boy

PETA has turned its videogame parody talents to the indie hit Super Meat Boy [http://supermeatboy.com/], reimagining the titular slab of meat as a rotting chunk of evil who must be stopped once and for all by the heroic Super Tofu Boy.

Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer for the PC and Xbox 360, with Wii and Mac versions on the way, in which players step into the boots of a small cube of meat who must save his girlfriend, Bandage Girl, from the evil Dr. Fetus. But now there's a new version of the game for the most die-hard of the "meat is murder" crowd: Super Tofu Boy, which recasts the action to turn Meat Boy into a bad boy.

"Meat Boy is a vengeful, bloody cube of rotting animal flesh. And he smells," the PETA website explains. "After a short-lived fling with Bandage Girl (sympathy dates, really), he became enraged when he was dumped for the tasty and satisfying Tofu Boy. Once Bandage Girl slept with Tofu Boy and saw all that he had to offer, it was bye-bye beef, hello bean curd."

But Meat Boy doesn't take this turn of events very well: he snaps and kidnaps Bandage Girl! Now it's up to the sexy, strong, oh-so-healthy Tofu Boy to save his love and deliver a righteous, soy-based beatdown on his putrescent nemesis.

Gameplay echos that of Super Meat Boy fairly closely, although the PETA version is much shorter, with only ten levels on offer. It also serves up a heapin' helpin' of pro-vegan programming like "Vegetarians make better lovers" and "LOL @ Meat Boy's bad breath." Downloadable versions of the game are available for the PC and Mac, while those who just want to take it for a quick spin can play a Flash version online at features.peta.org [http://features.peta.org/super-meat-boy-parody/Default.aspx].

Regular readers will likely know that this isn't PETA's first foray into the world of videogames; in 2008 it put out stage an event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87494-Cooking-Mama-The-PETA-Version] protesting the Canadian seal hunt.

Thanks to LavaLampBamboo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/LavaLampBamboo] for the tip.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Meat Boy kidnaps Bandage Girl, thus turning her into Bondage girl (I had to. I really did)

I have yet to play Super Meat Boy. I need to download it now though, I suppose. Then again, the last popular platformer I downloaded (Braid) ended up forgotten within the first 48 hours.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Well incoming rage in 3... 2.... 1....

I fucking hate Peta, bunch of self righteous a-holes. How about instead of getting mad about digital content they go help animals that aren't pixels? I bet the guys in a single episode of Animal Rescue on Animal Planet have done more than Peta has in 15 years.

Why can't we all have this simple rule, if you have a full fridge and belly don't tell others how to eat.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
And now, this thread will be filled with people calling fire and brimstone upon PETA, whilst to me, this looks more like a rather humorous parody, sure, it's got a motive, but hell, it's not like they've just initialized a campaign to kill all meat eaters on the planet...

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
So I had this girlfriend that got REALLY pissed at me for eating veal with Peta Bread.

OT:

Huh... Maybe it'll be good.

I doubt it though.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Who said Meat Boy came from "animal" meat?

also does anyone think PETA is trolling a bit, because really when you get upset over a game called meat boy something must be wrong with you. (strange how they never were upset about Cabelles hunting games)

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
Anyone else think this is just sad and petty? Also has anyone tried tofu? Vegetarians have some god damn tasty food so y eat something that tastes as bad as tofu

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
So I forget, is PETA an activist group, or are they now just designers of parody games?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
What's up with PETA always bringing up sex in everything too? I remember those 'vegetarians have better sex' ads. Are they really insecure or somthing?

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I actually read that as I'm eating a pepperoni pizza. I looked down at the pepperonis to see them slightly saddened and somehow offended by PETA once again insulting meat. But they actually seemed worried that I might be somehow affected by this advertising. Nevertheless, I assured my tasty little toppings that I would never ever replace them and that I would always love them.

And then I ate the pizza.

All this to say... PETA, I really don't care.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Can they get sued for this? Sure its a goofy parody, but I cant help but smell a lawsuit.

At least its not as extreme as their other stuff.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
PETA...what the hell is the matter with you? I don't go around telling you to go eat a cheeseburger, so why in the name of Mario's mustache do you feel the need to say I'm wrong because I enjoy eating the meat of creatures we BREED TO BE MADE INTO FOOD?

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Bwahaha, this is stupid beyond words. It's good to know we have PETA spending their money to save all of the precious little bunnies and squirrels. Oh wait...

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Well, although I consider PETA to be extremely annoying, I must give them credit for this seemingly humorous parody.

Duvans Mammor

Nov 8, 2010
This is just pathetic. Does PETA belive that any context where meat appears good must be evil, even when the meat is anthropomorphic? PETA just makes themselves look stupid. Please don't think all vegetarians are like this. I'm one and I absolutely love Super Meat Boy

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. FUCKING RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

SHOW ME YOUR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

RAGE.

rage.

OK I'm all raged out... Oh wait...

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGG

Fuck off PETA. Go die in a hole. Light yourselves on fire so you don't cost anyone anything.

Aight I'm raged out.

PETA. Go away, we don't tell you how to live. I'll eat a delicious baby cow if I want to. You are free to make YOUR life choices, you have no right to make mine for me.