Peter Molyneux Claims Xbox One Kinect is a "Joke" and "Unnecessary"

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
So when he releases a game 100% kinect based, its totally necessary and important.

When his games bombs entirely, he turns around and dismisses the kinect as useless.

Regardless of which of the two comments is valid, its petty as hell.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Revolutionary said:
Bit of case of the pot calling the kettle black there Peter.

I actually like the kinect, but still I understand why others don't, but Peter molyneux has absolutely no right to weigh in on this one.
Also this is exactly why the kinect was/is so poorly received.

First gamers didn't buy it because there was a lack of (good)games, and game companies didn't really want to make games because not enough people ownd one. (loop back to start of the sentince)

Microsoft did do the senseble thing and include it as a core part.

But by then gamers thought of it as a kid's toy, and game companies just can't be botherd.
Partly because game companies dont really wat to take the time to do al that work for just one system. (same goes for Wii U)

Right now people like Peter Molyneux declairing the Kinect "a joke" is whats harming it the most.
Put al that effort in making a good game for it, instead of trying to kick it down.

But i do think that by releasing the first kinect for the Xbox360, Microsoft played it's card a bit early.
And if Kinect came out of the blue For Xbox One, it would have been far better received.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If it's unnecessary why did he develop two Kinect exclusives (Boy Grooming Simulator and Fable: On-Rails) or is it just the Kinect on the Xbone that is a joke? I guess now that he doesn't work for Microsoft he can shit on them more freely and hope to win over some gamers. If this is like his dislike of the free-to-play model then he's about to announce that 22cans are developing their own motion controller for Godus, but it's not a motion controller it's an 'emotional life-changing interface mcguffin' which is totally different to Kinect except the same thing.

He's right about the Kinect being a joke though.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Molyneux must be pretty annoyed that the "do ANYTHING" photo is still the main one attached to any story involving him. Will the Escapist one day announce his death with that face on the article?

OT, the kinect has allowed him to use an extreme term (useless joke) without being hyperbolic!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Odd that you never mentioned that while selling that god awful kinect only Fable Journey, even had journalists sign some board as proof of it not being on rails... even though it was exactly that start to finish.

I'm not sure who you are mister but you don't sound like Molyneux to me.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Candidus said:
Molyneux must be pretty annoyed that the "do ANYTHING" photo is still the main one attached to any story involving him. Will the Escapist one day announce his death with that face on the article?

OT, the kinect has allowed him to use an extreme term (useless joke) without being hyperbolic!
Pic is awesome and can be used for almost any post regarding Peter, though.

"See my latest game where you can feel the emotions, play it for 1,000 hours and get a gazillion endings!"

"I'm the new head of Microsoft Game Studios"

"See me make a dinosaur out of thin air!"

"These are not the droids you're looking for..."

xD

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I want over promising under delivering Peter back! At least he set neat goals and even if he didn't meet half of them the products were still something unique. Today games just promise cinematic action while still calling itself a game and then fall on their face over DRM, DLC, just plain stupidly obvious bugs, and then shamelessly terrible stories with undertones of racism and xenophobia. They strive for nothing more then safe where at least fable was trying to be something really unique. I want to frolic and play with my best buddy for life, the dog, in a british childs fantasy world. I don't want more dreary pallets and violance and sex mistaken for maturity. I hate the words 'whiskey' 'bravo' 'tango'. I can sketch a M4 carbine from memory but can't fucking read a basic map. I want to feel unabashed happyness that isn't pure childishness. I WANT MAGIC AND GOD DAMN WHIMSY! Is that so wrong!?

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Don't you mean "...other Peter Molynews..."?

I'm sorry, I had to come here just for the horrible pun.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Sarge034 said:
Peter Molyneux speaking common sense and within attainable goals... Who is this imposter!?!?!? But more importantly, how do we keep this imposter?
This^. This man is the one that has made the infinitely simple suddenly complex(Fable 3 menu vs. Fable)

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
funny he didn't speak up until the new head of Xbox assured everyone the coast was clear. (Wasn't there a Kinect-exclusive Fable game?) I'll bet we'll be hearing more developers speak up now that its vogue to dislike the Xbox One.

Max_A_Buck

Jun 16, 2009
No one stopped to think maybe he was paid to say something to cause controversy. That'll get people talking about the Kinect...

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Elijin said:
So when he releases a game 100% kinect based, its totally necessary and important.

When his games bombs entirely, he turns around and dismisses the kinect as useless.

Regardless of which of the two comments is valid, its petty as hell.
Funny what a change of employment and binding contracts can do. Publicly dismissing the product of the people you work for tends to get you fired, seeing as he doesn't work for them anymore he's allowed to say whatever he wants about it without the same ramifications.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Peter stated that the Xbox Kinect is a 'joke'.

He then went on to shock the crowd by telling them that most fish can swim, the sky appears blue, water is wet, and Nicolas Cage is the greatest actor of all time.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Alex Co said:
For Xbox One users, do you agree that Kinect is a joke on the console or is Molyneux just not using it correctly?
Is he using a product he owns - that he bought, with his own money - incorrectly? No. He can turn it into Johnny 5 or try to convince 5 year olds he's invented teleportation with it. It's his, he can do what he wants.

I think the idea that you can use a Kinect wrong gives Microsoft way too much validation. They made a product that is supposed to work this one way. It's not the way YOU want, it's the way THEY want. They want to be the front end to everything on your living room set, and that would be fine, if they brought something to enhance the experience. But, Kinect has never worked perfectly. I can change channels pretty easily, just pressing buttons on my remote.

(Not that I ever watch TV on cable anyway. I'm basically online only.)