Peter Molyneux: Fable III Was a Trainwreck. I'll Never Make my Perfect Game

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shocksplicer said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Shocksplicer said:
Precisely, and he only seems to be getting worse about it with time.
The good news is, he's running out of ways to top his ridiculous claims. I mean, unless he says his next game will bring you to orgasm and let you literally see God....
I don't know, he is literally naming it Godus. Might not be a good sign...
I thought Godus was already out. Shows how much attention I pay to PM these days.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Shocksplicer said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Shocksplicer said:
Precisely, and he only seems to be getting worse about it with time.
The good news is, he's running out of ways to top his ridiculous claims. I mean, unless he says his next game will bring you to orgasm and let you literally see God....
I don't know, he is literally naming it Godus. Might not be a good sign...
I thought Godus was already out. Shows how much attention I pay to PM these days.
I think it's in alpha. He's been doing less of his trademark shtick than he usually does, so you'd be forgiven for being confused. That said, he has described it as "Invest to Play", so make of that what you will...

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Maybe you should do less hype and more beta testing.

That way, while you may not make your "perfect gem" of a game, you'll at least make a game that f**king WORKS PROPERLY.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Can't fault him for it.

Ok maybe a little. But his heart is in exactly the right place. He has so much enthusiasm for his work and is constantly striving to be better. He might not always succeed but he is aware of his own pitfalls and it's clear he has much passion for the art of games and game design rather than the profits.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Considering that his visions usually involve an interactive world on a level that would require true AI personalities or real world simulations to fully realize, I get the feeling that it's not so much the creative process that's going to keep him from his magnum opus, but more the fact that he doesn't have access to technology from 2300.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Fable 2 improved on fable..? No, just no. It took longer to beat but that's not an "improvement". As for the number 3, I got if free from the gameswithgold program and only played for an hour.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I've always liked Molyneux,he seems to be a person who enjoys the creation of a game so much. Whenever he hypes up a game I always see someone who is yearning for something out of their reach that they can never have, yeah they're not going to get it but not due to lack of trying.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Hey Peter I have this awesome idea for a game.... get this...

Your like a god and you have little subjects running around with their own AI and... Oh right yeah you already did that about 9 times right.

BTW, Godus is crap, give it up, your best work was Populous.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I know I am typically hard on ole Pete and his bad case of verbal diarrhea, but honestly it's kind of refreshing to see him engaged in some deep introspection and humility. Good luck on your next project sir.

Oh and by the way. While I can't speak to what the games looked like in your head (which I still suspect is a very scary place filled with dreams of Trash 80 business simulators and baked beans), it can honestly be said that you have made several truly perfect games. Or at least as near perfect as was reasonably possible. Games that still hold up as great games today. Populus 1 and 2 and Dungeon Keeper are just amazing. Honestly in looking at them the only thing that could possibly make them closer to perfect would be TO GIVE US MORE OF THEM! Theme Park while not a perfect game in and of itself, did however create a wonderfully perfect genre or niche of the gaming world that has flourished with the further and further refinements your fans and fellow developers have brought to the table.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dammit, Molyneux! Just give us the "Make Your Own Scene" tools for The Movies and give us an infinitely respawning hiring list (a la Theme Hospital) instead of capped hiring lines and your Perfect Game will be complete! D:

Dead serious, by the way. "The Movies" with player-created scenes and better employee hiring would be, for all intents and purposes, entirely perfect.

So close, Peter.

So close.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Fable III was okay - it just doesn't stand up to a second or third playthrough.

It's quite the strange beast, honestly. Albion has always oozed charm and personality, but outside of that very keenly assembled container, what was in it was surprisingly bland.

Part of that, I think, has to come from the fact that Fable might benefit from a character creation system closer to Saints Row IV's. I know morphing is more or less the aesthetic point of the series, but it would've been nice to be able to start the game as an already fat and feckless piece of shit - someone who *looks* like they're destined to sour everyone's day. On the other hand, being able to put together some sort of stereotypically heroic figure would have also helped, because we all have some conception of what a badass hero or heroine looks like.

In some ways, I keep thinking Molyneux should have paid attention to the way open-world games are starting to become a pretty serious standard. For all of his talk about decision-making, he was pretty keen on pushing story beats on the player. Getting lost in Albion's wider (and wilder) ranges would have helped.

Yeah. I guess making things less neat and clean and a little more rugged and freeform would have been awesome.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Well, they say the first step to overcoming a problem is admitting that you have one.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
Fable II is better than the first Fable? Haha...no, because we all remembered how amazing the first Fable plays out and I guarantee that no other Fable game or any RPG have done something like that in its time. The combat feels more invigorating and the story contains more emotion even though it is a bit short. Peter Molyneux need to have the mindset for the first Fable and not the second one if he want to succeed, because the only problem with the first Fable is it just too darn short.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I actually liked Fable III, hell of a lot more than I liked Fable II. It was a good game, right up until when you become King. Because that's the part that majorly screws over lawful good players by making them grind a ridiculous amount of money. Whoever thought up that part was a fucking moron.
They also don't know shit about how a government should function. I'm sorry, but what total fucking moron thinks that you can both increase the number of government provided services whilst decreasing taxes? How does that make any goddamn sense? How? HOW???

OT: Its nice of him to admit this. His fatal flaw is always over-promising on his games. I mean, I still remember the real-time tree growth.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I kind of appreciate his honesty, but I have an image in my mind of one of the other members of 22 Cans trying to bean him in the back of the head with a brick to get him to shut up.

"...And Godus? Complete disaster. Don't think our Kickstarter backers are going to settle for that load of codswallop for a second. Yes, it will be torches and pitchforks all the way when that reaches its final release version, let me tell you. Which brings me to our next announcement, which I'd also like to pre-express will be a crushing disappointment..."

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
A little late admitting that aren't you? Damn I wasted too much time with that game, trying desperatley to convince myself that I was having fun. Fable 3 was a lazily made game with little to no innovation at all, likewise the story was nowhere near the level of the two first games. The lost chapters is still the best, and Fable 2 was not too shabby, 3 was awful!everything from controls to ridiculous dlc was awful.

Peter should stop trying to make grandiose games, for the longest time, both he and fans like myself have been high on his former success that nwe have made a steve jobsian reality distortion field around his games. I am so glad I tore of that veil during fable 3.

But perhaps now that Peter has also torn off that veil, maybe he can finally make good games like before... maybe just maybe the next thing will be good, NOooo! I will not be suckered again, I'll no longer be a victim of the distortion field!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Peter Molyneux also says this very thing about his previous game every single time people accuse him of being deceptive.

He's either just being deceptive again (Because the normal context of 'oh yeah Fable 2 absolutely sucked I really got carried away and failed to deliver any of the things I said. Wait until Fable 3 that'll be amazing', is smart marketing). Or he must be pretty stupid in some ways for never ever picking up on the pattern and not promising things about his game he can never deliver.

Incidentally I'm almost 100% sure that his 'detailed coast-line surf and erosion simulation' that he promised us, is not in Godus nor did it ever really have a serious chance to be. Remember that one?