Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Will be watching this with interest. First Bullfrog, then Lionhead and now 22 Cans.

Maybe they'll resurrect Theme Park, though do EA not have their grubby mitts all over that particular IP?

Very curious indeed that this happens seemingly just after the announcement of Fable Heroes. Coincidence much?

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Even though he was all hype and no bite during the later years, he was still the person who helped bring Populous and Black and White and there is still much potential to once again create a great game. Here's to hopeful optimism.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Molyneux seems like George Lucas of gaming, first he makes something awesome and then he keeps ruining it. However this only applies on Fable, life achievment George Lucas award would probably go to Richard Garriott.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's kind've seemed like the Fable series was on a downward slope for a while, now. But honestly, for all their innovation, games like The Movies and Black and White have seemed like they had a lot of difficulty with the mechanics of being games, of making it clear to the player what they needed to do to succeed and not making those goals clash with the more "sandbox/playroom" elements, where the games find the most innovation.

I wish Molyneux the best, and I really wonder what kind of identity Lionhead has without him, but I'll be waiting for proof that Peter's creativity can be channeled into making something that can be reviewed without the reviewer having to throw in a whole bunch of caveats.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
No doubt Peter will be talking about how horrible his last studio was and how his next studio will change the face of gaming FOREVER, giving us everything we ever wanted and bringing about a world of rainbows, puppies and lollipops!

In all seriousness though, I do understand this. Peter's an enthusiastic guy who really gets into the creative process. It's what leads him to overhype things. A guy like that is gonna get restless making the same game over and over and Mircosoft only seems interested in milking the Fable cash cow.

CAPCHA: tastes like chicken... What does? Milk from the Fable cash cow?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Robert Ewing said:
Woah, didn't see this coming.

And just when I was getting interested in his newer ideas that aren't fable. Oh well...
But wasnt that the problem? Working for Lionhead after the first Fable was just more Fable, now he will have to do something new, and maybe think a little bit smaller.

I think this will end up being good for everyone, even for him.

TotalHobNob

Nov 9, 2010
I like Molyneux well enough and hope he does good and some new original IP or Revive some of his old IP which would be awesome. If he can control his mouth he will do just fine. I recommend duct tape though if all else fails.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The awkward moment when you realize you're actually going to miss the guy you've been making fun of for years >_>

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Well, I don't really know how to feel about this. Sure the guy really lost his touch recently and as a certain Yahtzee said, seriously needed to keep his mouth shut and stop overhyping bad games and flat out lying about game features, but he's one of the few developers that actually want to make a good game out of interest and such, instead of throwing out mass-manufactured games and overpriced day-one DLC to wring in as much cash as possible from customers.
So to this, I tearfully salute Peter while at the same time kicking him in the shin multiple times. Gently.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
And absolutely fucking nothing of value was lost.

Good riddance to the John Romero-era of jackass "celebrity" game developers who sustain themselves on lies and hype. He surely won't be missed expect by people who like the Fable series (for whatever reason).

Now if we can only oust Cliffy-B from Epic, there may be some hope in the future for that company.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Maybe an original IP is in order?

Mar 26, 2008
Perhaps we can get a decent Fable sequel now, without the over-direction. The first Fable was brilliant, but from then on they've just lost that wonder IMO.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I would be surprised.. but to me, its overshadowed by the fact that Peyton Manning left Indianapolis Colts.

Anyways I was hoping for Fable 4 because Yahtzee and Molyneux seem to have special friendship.

Anodos

Jul 23, 2011
What if you start a company, but instead of walls, you use COMPUTERS instead? We dont send eachother memos or emails, we send FEELINGS and INTUITIONS.