Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Darn it. And I wanted him to make at least one more Fable that was actually good.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
My hope is that Molyneux, freed from the need to sequelize his best-known IPs, will get back to making games like he used to. But in order for that to happen, we also have to hope that someone at 22 Cans, presumably the founder, will be able to keep him focused: have an idea, refine the idea, make the idea great and then lock it down and bring it to life. If that happens, this could turn out to be a very big move indeed.
I think they just have to poke him with the barrel of a shotgun every time he starts monologuing.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I am a big fan of his creationalism, so I look forward to seeing what this new change brings! Hopefully good news for the British gaming industry!

Hopefully he can get a good team together to develop whatever new idea he has next!! :p

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
I'm not sure how one can describe Black & White as a long-running franchise, as it consists of only two games released four years apart.

As for Molyneux's new company (is that his third now? Stop going public if you don't want to suffer the corporate yoke), I'm certainly willing to entertain another round of his overly-optimistic ambitions.

I'll believe it when I see it, though.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Here's my guess;
- microsoft wants another 5 fable games at least from lionhead.
- peter knows that kinect is a bust and wants to be free from it.

Apr 5, 2008
Whoa, that's crazy news. Molyneux leaving Lionhead doesn't make sense. He is Lionhead Studios, and Lionhead Studios is him! Not the biggest fan of his games, though they are usually fun, original and interesting. Will be interested to see what he comes up with next with his new-found independence. Wonder what is in store for LH without him at the helm.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Scrythe said:
I am surprised to see someone with quite as much dislike as I have for Cliff Belinski. I don't know if the demise of the Unreal/Unreal Tournament series can be laid entirely at his door, but I feel like it should be.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I may have held some bitter ire toward Molyneux because of his failed promises toward the Fable franchise, but I can't deny that, at the very least, the Fable series tried to be innovative. Kinda failed at times, but was overall a breath of fresh air after the ocean of grainy FPSs.

If there's anyone that could make some radical, new, and addictive IP that can possibly crack the constants of the gaming industry atm, it's Molyneux.

Aug 12, 2009
While I love Lionhead, Fable, B&W and Pete, I must say: And nothing of value was lost. Yes he won't be making Fable anymore, but I'm kinda growing bored of it. So I think that him moving away to make something new is awesome.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, while my suspicians are probably not going to be the most welcome things in the world, to me this sounds like a high profiling firing. Someone as well known and popular as Molyneux would be a PR disaster if they just tossed him, and the fiction of a "friendly parting" especially a sudden one like this seems fairly common in such cases throughout a variety of industries.

To be honest, while you can't help but like the guy, I've been a fairly harsh critic of him for a long period of time, and that includes his ever-growing reputation as a liar which I am not always willing to chalk up to him simply getting over-enthusiastic. I've oftentimes wondered if Peter was not a big part of the reason why series like Fable never actually reached the lofty heights that were originally promised.

At any rate, I will definatly have my eyes on him and where his new company goes. The telling sign is going to be how much funding he actually has behind this new venture, or if he's hoping to attract the attention of people to fund him. Something we can probably determine by how quickly we actually find something under development on a AAA level or if at all. If it takes a while, or his work is sub-AAA chances are he was booted as he didn't have the funding in place to make a high end transfer. If it's extremely quick and he almost immediatly jumps into a AAA-level project, then chances are he decided to leave himself after having obtained the resources and backing he needed for the move.

Any way it goes, we're liable to know the truth within 60-90 days. If he chose to leave on his own, chances are he had his next project planned out, and had secured funding, so we should at least hear about it and who he's in business with. Nobody "quits" without having their ducks in a row and being sure of themselves. If he goes dark for a while, at least as far as meaningful news of development goes, then we'll know he was canned and he's presumably trying to come up with something and secure funding having been tossed out while relatively unprepared for the occurance.

Did he surprise his bosses by walking out, or did his bosses surprise him by having him walked out? Time will tell.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Li Mu said:
You guys are thinking too small with your Black and White 3 and Dungeon Keeper 3.

What we want is- The Black & White Dungeon Keeper Populous 8
That would be awesome!
No love for GeneWars? Ok...* sniffles*

Andy Chalk said:
My hope is that Molyneux, freed from the need to sequelize his best-known IPs, will get back to making games like he used to. But in order for that to happen, we also have to hope that someone at 22 Cans, presumably the founder, will be able to keep him focused: have an idea, refine the idea, make the idea great and then lock it down and bring it to life. If that happens, this could turn out to be a very big move indeed.
Very true; Peter has some great idea's (which admittedly don't always pan out) but he needs focus and guidance to get the best out of his mind. That or some form of mind-drainer to stuck out his best idea's ... and admittedly a small amount of brain matter.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

well... i just know we are all going to miss him his innovative ideas are amazing, even if what he produces is just a glimps of what he actually wanted

i love Peter, but it was time to leave the "Fable maker" machine and invent something new