PewDiePie Addresses Recent Media Coverage Amidst Controversy

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
maninahat said:
What bothers me the most about this isn't PDP, or google/Disney, or the articles written about him. It's the people who have jumped to the easy conclusions without backing them up. A lot of people have decided that the media has published a smear campaign against the youtube star, despite the fact that all the ones I've read have quite clearly preface their pieces with acknowledgements that PDP was making jokes, that he probably isn't a racist, and that this doesn't make a difference in relation to the points they go on to make.

Nowadays, a lot of journalists feel its necessary to couch their language, or to preface their opinions with disclosures/disclaimers. Its sad that readers a) can't be trusted to figure out a writer's meaning without jumping to some absurdly absolutist conclusion and b) are unlikely to ever get as far as the disclosure, because they'll just read the writer's headline, dismiss it as clickbait, and then add it to some collage they are making about biased media.
The 'disgrace' is that they feel compeled to use wording as 'probably' and that they go after PDP rather than TWSJ in this situation.
Lets be honest TWSJ made a huge pile of stink and discredited themselves here. Had other agencies competed with them on free market basis they would eat TWSJ alive for this nonsense. They don't thou. At least not in USA and their direct affiliates abroad.

I don't know how many foreign languages you know but have a look at other agencies which usually directly reprint or dogpile with their own commentary on any social media controversy already published by trustworthy sources. There's silence, you can almost hear the 'what the f(*#&ck is that suppose to be' sigh in editorial rooms.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Social context is every bit as important as personal context. Hopefully this will teach him that and he can become the bro the world needs right now, rather than the one it deserves.

In other words people need to start standing up to racists instead of giving them press time as punchlines. This is the Pewds opportunity to do that. Will he? I dunno, but I hope he does.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Actions have consequences.

Write a shitty article accusing somebody of all things under the sun and never once mention context, and don't be too surprised when people call you out on being bullshit.