Phrases That Make You "Cringe"

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
"come on, you can tell me." You are correct. I have the ability to give you the personal information you have requested, but I do not have to and I do not want to. You are going to have to explain to me why you want this information before I will give it to you.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
catalyst8 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Interesting for me you have to replace /arsehole with /asshole?region=us
That would explain it. Mine's set to English. So tell me then, what do you say when you mean 'ass' as a small hoofed equine e.g. the Biblical reference 'The ass saw the angel'?
Donkey, in the US they are the same, ass is just very uncommonly used. Generally by kids trying to be "clever" and get away with swearing
So 'ass' means both donkey & arse? Interesting since 'donkey' is a relatively new 18th century addition to the English language. I'd be curious to know when the US dialect dropped the r, presumably after the 18th century. I suspect it's a pronunciation-driven alteration, since some British & Irish dialects don't pronounce the r, though all always write it with an r. Something which also usually amuses the British is the US use of 'fanny' to mean arse, when over here it means vagina. Another good one's 'spunk'. Telling someone they're "Full of spunk" might get you punched, since here spunk means semen.

4173 said:
In this case, they are using "bad" as a pronoun. Yes, that is playing fast and loose with English conventions, but I don't think it impedes communication. Certainly, it is your prerogative to be against this sort of language manipulation.

I flat-out disagree about "I'm good" though.* Good has other meanings beyond the moral meaning, one of which is along the lines of satisfied/satisfactory. Therefor "I'm good" can express satisfaction on a particular topic, or overall.

*Yes, if someone walked up to you out of the blue and said "I'm good" it would not communicate sufficient information, but that's true of all sorts of phrases and words.
If someone's in such a vital hurry to use as few words as possible then 'My bad' can be easily corrected to 'My fault'. Surely the deliberate use of incorrect terminology & form is, to say the least, very foolish & also counter-productive. This also works with 'good' to describe one's health, since 'well' has a specific definition meaning something that is in a good or satisfactory way. You asked me initially whether I dislike contractions, but these aren't contractions they're omissions.

Father Time said:
catalyst8 said:
4. "Asshole." A pit for a hoofed mammal of the horse family.

All ignorant & imbecilic statements.
Kind of elitist don't you think?
I don't think I'm claiming to be superior when the idea of a pit for small horselike animals seems stupid to me. Nor do I think the incorrect omission of nouns is anything other than lacking in awareness. Can you explain why you imply otherwise, please?

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Have to agree with the OP on losing an item and having a response of where did you last leave it?
Want to scream at them if I knew that it wouldn't be lost now, would it?

Also thought of another when someone wants something you have and asks do you mind? I always have to pause and think if I say yes will they take it as yes I do mind or yes you can have it. Or if I say no it would be no you can't have it or no I don't mind.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
zehydra said:
PureChaos said:
Seek and ye shall find

If i'm looking for something and i ask someone if they know where it is and they say that, it really bugs me. if they don't know, they could just so 'no'. When I do find it and they get all smug going 'see, i told you you'd find it if you looked' it just annoys me more.
That's a quote from the New Testament (from the Bible)
doesn't make it less annoying

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
"I love you."

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine when people say this in real life. But when I'm reading a book, watching a movie, etc. and the love interest finally expresses his/her feelings with a sincere "I love you" it just makes me slap my forehead for some reason. Even if the acting is great or the time is right, I just can't stand it. It just seems so... corny.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Being from Essex, anything from this atrocious show called The Only Way Is Essex.

Just, no.
hey im from essex to :)

and yeah i hate that show, my sister bought the fucking DVD of it -__________-

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Skytterish said:
Saltyk said:
catalyst8 said:
Saltyk said:
catalyst8 said:
How do you feel about the term "bro"? Not just in the "you mad, bro?" troll comment, but just in general? For example, when a friend calls you bro.
It doesn't irritate me in the least, much like 'ma' is abbreviated for mama & 'pa' for papa (though there's a strong etymological argument that they are also abbreviated forms of mater & pater). 'Bro.' is also an accepted written abbreviation for some members of religious orders in the same way that 'Dr.' abbreviates doctor.
Personally, I don't like the term "bro". I always think of drunk ignorant frat boys. Even when friends call me "bro", I always think of drunk ignorant frat boys. I could probably add it to my list of phrases that make me cringe.
Me and my mate call each other bros and we're definitely not drunk neither are we "frat" (what is that?) and we are most definiteley not male. It's just a less traditional or, for lack of a better word, cheesy way for saying we're best friends.
Well, when girls go to college they often join a sorority, which is basically a group/club of girls. Boys would join a frat, which is a group or club for boys. Frats and Sororities generally have their own buildings on campus and there should be more than a few. Larger ones tend to have parties and such. When I think of a frat boy (and to a lesser extent a sorority girl, sister(?) not sure how to refer to them) I generally think of the drunk, obnoxious, and generally ignorant fools you see in Youtube videos and such.

Nothing against you personally, but when I hear people say "bro" they always seem to be drunk, obnoxious, and generally annoying. As a result, it as gained a negative connotation in my mind.

If you have your own way to use it and it works, more power to you. I'm pretty sure we're never gonna cross paths. You referred to your friend as a "mate", so I'm guessing you're Australian(?). Though, you could be from Europe. Not too many Americans refer to their friends as mates.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I'm not a racist but... (Usually followed by something insensitive)
No offence but... (Usually followed by something offensive)

Oh and overusage of the words "Basically" "blatantly" "innit" and "mate"

As in...

No offence and I'm not a racist but all these (insert racial epithet of the moment) should just fuck off back home if they don't like living here. Basically their attitude is blatantly out of order innit.

or to that effect.

Jenitals

Jan 15, 2011
Saltyk said:
catalyst8 said:

Well, when girls go to college they often join a sorority, which is basically a group/club of girls. Boys would join a frat, which is a group or club for boys. Frats and Sororities generally have their own buildings on campus and there should be more than a few. Larger ones tend to have parties and such. When I think of a frat boy (and to a lesser extent a sorority girl, sister(?) not sure how to refer to them) I generally think of the drunk, obnoxious, and generally ignorant fools you see in Youtube videos and such.

Nothing against you personally, but when I hear people say "bro" they always seem to be drunk, obnoxious, and generally annoying. As a result, it as gained a negative connotation in my mind.

If you have your own way to use it and it works, more power to you. I'm pretty sure we're never gonna cross paths. You referred to your friend as a "mate", so I'm guessing you're Australian(?). Though, you could be from Europe. Not too many Americans refer to their friends as mates.
Australian? I wish :) I'm English. You may have seen British pubs in films in which a guy could refer to a stranger as a "mate" before he backhands him for knocking his drink over. In this case however I am referring to a friend. Thanks for the explanation.

SheleKnights

Oct 6, 2010
TroubleMaker411 said:
Oh, here's so many to choose from:
"LOL" I hate the abbreviation as it is, but people that actually SAY "lol" just make me want to kerbstomp them!
And by extension, pretty much anything from the same family. "ROFL" is not a fucking word. You wanna laugh, just fucking laugh. you ain't got to say "LOL" "ROFL" or "PMSL" unless you are talking over MSN messenger.
and you're 12.
I believe the term you are searching for is "curb-stomp."
But let's move onto something to something a little more on topic; I have learned to accept the grammatical and spelling errors of others on the internet, because it just means we have different values. I am not a better or more righteous person just because I know how to spell something they don't, I just care about it more than them, and that's fine.

sergnb said:
"Epic win"

"Epic fail"

"Owned"

"Pwned"

Anything 1337

"That's like, your opinion, man"

"The cake is a lie"

"Atheists are a religion"

"U mad" (this one only when it's used out of context. I know it's a trolling mechanism, so when used properly, it's ok)

"Get a life"

you're instead of your and viceversa

"Bro"

"Imma let you finish"

"Up in this *****"

"Gem"

"Oh, it was pretty horrible, I did really bad" - proceeds to show a 100% score or a perfectly executed masterpiece drawing/sculpture/whatever. tl;dr fake modesty

"I don't know anything about this subject, but here's my opinion"

"I don't want to be racist/a jerk/sexist" - proceeds to be racist/a jerk/sexist

Anything in japanese. "Kawai", "desu", "ugu", and the infamous "~" that they had to google what key was it binded to in order to type it. Damn weeaboos

Emoticons. ALMOST ALL OF THEM. "xD", "<3", "T.T", etc. The only acceptable ones are ":)", ":(", ":|", and maybe "^.^" if not too overused.

And a lot lot more than I can't remember now...
Did you ever consider that most of the quick examples there were also intended for trolling? And I hope that this doesn't become a religious debate thread, but atheism could be a religion depending upon how you define a religion. If a religion is a group of people gathering together to worship something then no it isn't, but I think it means something different to most people. A phrase often spoken is "I am religious," which means they believe in their specific religion and it's moral values. Could the same not be said of atheism?

I fail to see the connection between the tilde and Japanese culture. Could anyone fill me in?

A large portion of human communication is physical cues like posture and facial expressions, which I believe is why the first emoticons were used. But humans have so much more complex emotions than happiness, sadness, and indifference. So, would it not make sense that we need more emoticons to fully explain what exactly we mean over the internet? Also, I don't know about you but I'd get a bit bored if the only emoticons we used were the 3-4 you listed. A little variety is nice.

Edit: I hit the reply button instead of the quote button.
Edit2: Added second quote and my response

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
zehydra said:
sergnb said:
"Epic win"

"Epic fail"

"Owned"

"Pwned"

Anything 1337

"That's like, your opinion, man"

"The cake is a lie"

"Atheists are a religion"

"U mad" (this one only when it's used out of context. I know it's a trolling mechanism, so when used properly, it's ok)

"Get a life"

you're instead of your and viceversa

"Bro"

"Imma let you finish"

"Up in this *****"

"Gem"

"Oh, it was pretty horrible, I did really bad" - proceeds to show a 100% score or a perfectly executed masterpiece drawing/sculpture/whatever. tl;dr fake modesty

"I don't know anything about this subject, but here's my opinion"

"I don't want to be racist/a jerk/sexist" - proceeds to be racist/a jerk/sexist

Anything in japanese. "Kawai", "desu", "ugu", and the infamous "~" that they had to google what key was it binded to in order to type it. Damn weeaboos

Emoticons. ALMOST ALL OF THEM. "xD", "<3", "T.T", etc. The only acceptable ones are ":)", ":(", ":|", and maybe "^.^" if not too overused.

And a lot lot more than I can't remember now...
You must not spend much time on the internet if it bothers you that much.
fortunately, the internet is not exactly a tiny place. I try to avoid communities that spout shit like that like the plague, but more often than not a few leak out. Also, seeing them CONSTANTLY is part of what makes me cringe whenever I see them.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
No homo takes the cake for me. I don't understand why people are so insecure in their sexuality that they have to confirm it when they make a joke. Just in case. It's rather silly.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
catalyst8 said:
4173 said:
catalyst8 said:
artanis_neravar said:
catalyst8 said:
1. "My bad." Your bad what?

2. "I'm good." Please define good & evil.

Imo, those are just you being an grammar nazi. Really. Are you pissed off if someone says "im good"? Would you really ask the to define good?
Of course, unless they're making a genuine claim to being particularly virtuous. Fortunately I know only one person who uses the phrase, the rest of my friends are adults & speak accordingly.

Are you annoyed when people use contractions in speech?

My bad - I accept responsibility for the undesirable event we were discussing.

I'm good - I find my general state of being, relating to your query, satisfactory.

Seems like reasonable time saving measures to me.
Not at all, I'm annoyed when people fail to communicate by using the wrong words. 'Bad' & 'good' are both adjectives, as such their purpose is to qualify. To say 'My bad' is as meaningless as saying 'Those heavy' or 'His red', because the possessive determiner ('His') is not the subject of the qualifying adjective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_bad

just clarifying something. though i understand why you would not like the phrase's.

Ot: i throw my thoughts in with the rest of them who are saying the "could of" argument. i hate that online

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
"I feel like..."
This one bugs me because it often involves something where a person should think over feel, for example: "I feel like the Magna Carta was signed in 1512" (yes I picked the wrong date on purpose). And now I know you're thinking that it's just semantics, but the emphasis on emotion over logic bugs me, plus, it seems to me that the people who often use it really are basing their positions are impulse or intuition over facts.

The other one that really bugs me is the mis-use of the word "literally", and while not technically a phrase, there are a bunch that use it. Whatever happened to "essentially" or "basically", you know, the words people mean to say when using "literally" wrong? No, you are not so hot you are "literally on fire", or else you probably wouldn't be able to say it so calmly, instead you'd say something more along the lines of "AAAAAHHHH!!!!".

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Skytterish said:
Saltyk said:
catalyst8 said:

Australian? I wish :) I'm English. You may have seen British pubs in films in which a guy could refer to a stranger as a "mate" before he backhands him for knocking his drink over. In this case however I am referring to a friend. Thanks for the explanation.
You just wish you were Australian because you don't live there. Grass is greener and all that. Anyway, always nice to exchange pleasantries with an English lady.

Though, I've only heard mate used as slang for friends, as far as I remember anyway. In the example you gave it sounds like it was being used ironically. Anyway, thanks for asking rather than jumping to conclusions. See ya around.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
catalyst8 said:
Dr Jones said:
catalyst8 said:
1. "My bad." Your bad what?

2. "I'm good." Please define good & evil.

Imo, those are just you being an grammar nazi. Really. Are you pissed off if someone says "im good"? Would you really ask the to define good?
Of course, unless they're making a genuine claim to being particularly virtuous. Fortunately I know only one person who uses the phrase, the rest of my friends are adults & speak accordingly.
Just watch this. Stephen Fry will teach you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Hoplon said:
also "it's just a theory" only because you don't know what theory means you inbred butt sniffer.
Darn, beat me to it!
But this. So much this.

I hear it very rarely, but when I do, the number of sharp (and blunt now that I think about it) objects I imagine piercing the speaker's skull is somewhere in the millions. If you want me to see red...