Phrases that piss you off

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
"I have the right to be offended" - Yes you do.But guess what I have the right to not fucking care if something offends you

"You have to respect my beliefs" - No,No I don't.I will tolerate your beliefs but respect is something that is earned not assumed

Some others that been mentioned already

"Raped/ruined my childhood" - Really?That 5 second scene that George Lucas added to Star Wars was so upsetting that it destroyed your previous enjoyment of the franchise.Grow up ffs.The thing you once enjoyed still bloody exists

"I could care less" - You're using it wrong

"I'm not X but..." - Yes you are

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
"Chillax" some fuckwit has decided to put the words "chill" and "relax" into one one. Its usually some prick who will call you a bro

Ironically if anyone uses this word it doesnt make me chill or relax, it irritates me

The_R3d_Fury

Jul 7, 2011
ABLb0y said:
Happyninja42 said:
"That was God working through you."

Hate this when people dump their diety onto somebody's accomplishments, and co-opt the credit for the person's success to their god. Or when people say things like "You can't do *insert thing, usually overcoming an addiction* without His help" Um, sorry no, I quit my addictions just fine on my own, to say that the only way you can overcome challenges in your life is with God is an insult to everyone who actually did it on their own without your magical, invisible sky god.

I hear this a lot where I live, and it makes me chew the inside of my cheek to not say something.
Yeah, and also when people say things like 'God is on my side' and 'God wants me to succeed'. That's also pretty bad, as it sort of implies that you're special, and an Omnipotent person doesn't have better things to do than help you... I don't know, win a football match or win the baking competition than something more consequential, like... I dunno, world peace or something?
You have to remember, though, that not all religious people are like that.

Whether or not God is working through somebody (let's not get into that right now) a religious individual who goes around trying to humble everybody is probably going to be doing more harm than good. My own pastor always congratulates me on my writing when he sees it.

It's possible to overcome challenges and break addictions without God, but God really does help in my own experiences. There are some things that I don't believe can be done without God, and there are some things that can, to an extent. The entire debate relies on where you draw the line, and it should be noted that I'm trying very hard right now not to offend anybody. However, I do also believe that there's a time to keep the peace and a time to take a stand, though right now I think we can all act civilised.

One phrase that does bother me, though, is "magical invisible sky being". I used to hear this a lot, and almost always it was being used to attack an individual, but it was actually attacking almost every belief system, even when the man who used it had religious people on his side.

As for the whole "God will help me win the lotto" thing, I hate that so much. When people try to reduce my Lord to a magic genie who does nothing but grant wishes it does 2 things;

1: make a mockery of God and;
2: tell people that if their life isn't perfect they should stop believing in God. Whether or not you believe in God, I think we can all agree that that isn't a legitimate reason.

God, in the Bible, commands us to love everyone, and to love everyone through our actions, not our words. "I would love to buy that homeless man a $2 sandwich, but I'm saving up for a second Porsche" is a perfect example of what not to do. In fact, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?" (James 2:15, NIV).

I think that a lot of the time the bad Christians are the Christians who aren't committed to the life of a Christian. The kind of Christian who isn't really a Christian.

As long as we're talking about phrases that we hate, I hate the phrase "grammar Nazi". I mean, first off, grammarians don't correct people to feel smart. To a grammar lover, saying "psst ... I think you mean THEIR, not THEY'RE" is like saying "hey, man, your fly is down". We often forget that people aren't embarrassed about using the wrong words or spelling of a word and probably don't WANT to be corrected. Second, the Nazis were ACTUALLY horrible.

Also, "that's so random". When did 'random' and 'randomness' become interchangeable with 'weird' and 'weirdness'? You should've seen how angry that'd make my grade 7 teacher, though. He was always a lovely guy, but improper grammar use could drive him FIGURATIVELY up the wall (I'm smiling right now because that's the kind of thing we think is funny).

The_R3d_Fury

Jul 7, 2011
Elvis Starburst said:
Kolby Jack said:
YOLO was actually originally a military acronym meaning the same thing, in the same vein as FUBAR or SNAFU. Knowing that it WASN'T created by 4chan or some shit makes me like it a lot more. I agree, though, that it's no justification for stupidity.

But automatically getting mad just because someone said it likewise is pretty unreasonable too. Do you get mad at people for saying "carpe diem?" It's a phrase. Get over it (not directed at you Elvis, just in general).
I'll admit I have some personal bias cause of the use of YOLO as an excuse towards stupidity. I'm sure Carpe Diem was used in the same manner at some point, but it's not in the mainstream, or if it was, it wasn't in my direct time of knowledge. Sure, that can be pretty lousy, but I at least acknowledge it. Besides, I don't get full blown angry about the use of YOLO. It's just very annoying when I hear it used incorrectly. I'd like to hear people use it properly for once, not in the manner I discussed.
I reckon that Carpe Diem is fine because it's used when people actually want to seize the day. But think of this:

How often do you hear 'YOLO' being used (seriously) to:

1: encourage someone to seize the day (probably not very often)?
2: try to legitimise stupid actions?

And that's why we dislike 'YOLO'. Because we associate it with questionable conduct.

Also, are captchas adverts now? Mine is advertising the Independent Growers Association.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
"I could care less" bugs me... You mean you *COULD* care less? Or do you mean you *COULD NOT* care less?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
The_R3d_Fury said:
ABLb0y said:
Happyninja42 said:

Hate this when people dump their diety onto somebody's accomplishments, and co-opt the credit for the person's success to their god. Or when people say things like "You can't do *insert thing, usually overcoming an addiction* without His help" Um, sorry no, I quit my addictions just fine on my own, to say that the only way you can overcome challenges in your life is with God is an insult to everyone who actually did it on their own without your magical, invisible sky god.

I hear this a lot where I live, and it makes me chew the inside of my cheek to not say something.
Yeah, and also when people say things like 'God is on my side' and 'God wants me to succeed'. That's also pretty bad, as it sort of implies that you're special, and an Omnipotent person doesn't have better things to do than help you... I don't know, win a football match or win the baking competition than something more consequential, like... I dunno, world peace or something?

Whether or not God is working through somebody (let's not get into that right now) a religious individual who goes around trying to humble everybody is probably going to be doing more harm than good. My own pastor always congratulates me on my writing when he sees it.

It's possible to overcome challenges and break addictions without God, but God really does help in my own experiences. There are some things that I don't believe can be done without God, and there are some things that can, to an extent. The entire debate relies on where you draw the line, and it should be noted that I'm trying very hard right now not to offend anybody. However, I do also believe that there's a time to keep the peace and a time to take a stand, though right now I think we can all act civilised.

One phrase that does bother me, though, is "magical invisible sky being". I used to hear this a lot, and almost always it was being used to attack an individual, but it was actually attacking almost every belief system, even when the man who used it had religious people on his side.

As for the whole "God will help me win the lotto" thing, I hate that so much. When people try to reduce my Lord to a magic genie who does nothing but grant wishes it does 2 things;

2: tell people that if their life isn't perfect they should stop believing in God. Whether or not you believe in God, I think we can all agree that that isn't a legitimate reason.

God, in the Bible, commands us to love everyone, and to love everyone through our actions, not our words. "I would love to buy that homeless man a $2 sandwich, but I'm saving up for a second Porsche" is a perfect example of what not to do. In fact, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?" (James 2:15, NIV).

I think that a lot of the time the bad Christians are the Christians who aren't committed to the life of a Christian. The kind of Christian who isn't really a Christian.

As long as we're talking about phrases that we hate, I hate the phrase "grammar Nazi". I mean, first off, grammarians don't correct people to feel smart. To a grammar lover, saying "psst ... I think you mean THEIR, not THEY'RE" is like saying "hey, man, your fly is down". We often forget that people aren't embarrassed about using the wrong words or spelling of a word and probably don't WANT to be corrected. Second, the Nazis were ACTUALLY horrible.

Also, "that's so random". When did 'random' and 'randomness' become interchangeable with 'weird' and 'weirdness'? You should've seen how angry that'd make my grade 7 teacher, though. He was always a lovely guy, but improper grammar use could drive him FIGURATIVELY up the wall (I'm smiling right now because that's the kind of thing we think is funny).
I've got no problem with good Christians. It's the ones whose religion makes them automatically better than me that irks me, especially if they constantly bring it up.
Like the dude who approached me just after Easter and told me he hoped I got diabetes because I celebrated it without being Christian. Now, him I have an issue with. People who believe in something I don't, that's no problem. It's when they're arses about it, that's what I don't like.

The_R3d_Fury

Jul 7, 2011
ABLb0y said:
The_R3d_Fury said:
ABLb0y said:
Happyninja42 said:

I've got no problem with good Christians. It's the ones whose religion makes them automatically better than me that irks me, especially if they constantly bring it up.
Like the dude who approached me just after Easter and told me he hoped I got diabetes because I celebrated it without being Christian. Now, him I have an issue with. People who believe in something I don't, that's no problem. It's when they're arses about it, that's what I don't like.
I object to that guy's comment both as a Christian and a Type 1 diabetic.

Christians aren't perfect. Yes, Romans 6 says that we're dead to sin, but that doesn't mean that we don't still sin. We shouldn't be treating people like we're above them. Salvation is a gift, not something that we can earn. It's like someone giving a homeless man $5, and then that homeless man goes and acts like he's better than all the other homeless men.

I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. It always warms my heart to see people treating other people like people, if that makes sense.

I hope you have a great day/night, brother.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
The_R3d_Fury said:
ABLb0y said:
The_R3d_Fury said:
ABLb0y said:
Happyninja42 said:

I object to that guy's comment both as a Christian and a Type 1 diabetic.

Christians aren't perfect. Yes, Romans 6 says that we're dead to sin, but that doesn't mean that we don't still sin. We shouldn't be treating people like we're above them. Salvation is a gift, not something that we can earn. It's like someone giving a homeless man $5, and then that homeless man goes and acts like he's better than all the other homeless men.

I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. It always warms my heart to see people treating other people like people, if that makes sense.

I hope you have a great day/night, brother.
Yeah, I think I'd object to it no matter what. I mean, I've never said anything like that to him, so why'd he do it to me?

It's like the old saying goes: 'Pobody's nerfect.'

Hey, no prob. Any time.

Same to you, man.

EDIT: The Phrase 'Some of my best friends are X' also really annoys me, as if you've got friends who are, say, black or gay, that gives you even less right to say racist or homophobic things.
It's like the aforementioned Diabetes dude, when confronted by a girl who was about (I shit thee not) close to 7 feet tall and had a diabetic dad, his response was 'I've got friends who are diabetic, so I can say that!'.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
AuronFtw said:
The worst one: "Check your privilege."

Nothing but a cop-out attempt to avoid a mature conversation about a complicated topic while also attempting to maintain the moral high ground via several forms of logical fallacy. It's incredibly infuriating.
Definitely have similar feelings. The idea that someone's position in life should necessarily make their points about those in different situation null simply by who is speaking them, rather than their actual content...urks me. Worse, it turns situations into some twisted "I'm more oppressed than you, so I'm a better person", which is disgusting behavior.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
First one that sprung to mind was "I could care less." It's COULDN'T, damn it.

Also I hate when the word rape is used for something that isn't rape, like, when someone gets killed in a video game and go "Oh, man, I just got raped." It's not a good word to use so casually, a lot of people find it being used so casually offensive for good reason. If a rape survivor heard it being used it would most likely stir up horrible memories of a horrible experience.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
I don't think these phrases are that popular now, but "Mess with the best, die like the rest." or "Get rich or die tryin'." really got on my goddamn nerves for a time.

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
"Back in my day" with the exception of people over 50.
Seriously if your not that old why act like you are, sure things change over time but find another phrase.
Something more apt like "only a few years ago",would be so much better.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
"History is written by the victors." No it isn't, it's written by whatever perspective is available and appeals to a given society. Unless the victorious side makes a successful effort to completely surpress any sources that support the perspective of their opponents and keeps it up for a long enough time, our view on history will change or at least get challenged with every new generation.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
conmag9 said:
AuronFtw said:
The worst one: "Check your privilege."

Nothing but a cop-out attempt to avoid a mature conversation about a complicated topic while also attempting to maintain the moral high ground via several forms of logical fallacy. It's incredibly infuriating.
Definitely have similar feelings. The idea that someone's position in life should necessarily make their points about those in different situation null simply by who is speaking them, rather than their actual content...urks me. Worse, it turns situations into some twisted "I'm more oppressed than you, so I'm a better person", which is disgusting behavior.
Eh, I'm conflicted on that one, since I can certainly see why you would sometimes want to remind people that their reality of life is not necessarily representative of everyone else. On the other hand, I hate how nowadays its function in internet debates seems to have mostly shifted from advicing someone to consider whether their point of view might be more coloured by their personal life experiences than they had initially thought to shutting them up unless they share your opinion.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
The overly liberal use of the phrase "mind-blowing". That used to mean something, now people use it for everything. God damn it's annoying.

Then there's just the improper use of "literally" but that doesn't really count I guess

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Simonism451 said:
"History is written by the victors." No it isn't, it's written by whatever perspective is available and appeals to a given society. Unless the victorious side makes a successful effort to completely surpress any sources that support the perspective of their opponents and keeps it up for a long enough time, our view on history will change or at least get challenged with every new generation.
I think that phrase just shows that the "losers" are typically dead, and unable to give their version of events. If history can be manipulated for the benefit of the victor then it will unless somebody is somehow able to prove otherwise. I'm sure there are many things lost in history because of suppression, though it would be harder to do in the modern world thanks to the internet.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
First one that sprung to mined was "I could care less." It's COULDN'T, damn it.
It can kind of work both ways. If someone couldn't care less, then that could either mean it's not possible to care less because they don't care, or they couldn't care less because there's no way they can stop caring about it because it matters so much.

Could care less could mean that they don't care, but they could stand to care less, or that since they care about something so much that they could care less but they don't... That one doesn't work as well both ways though.

Couldn't is still the better term though