Phrases you've never understood.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
To "pay out the ass". Does currency suddenly skyrocket in value if you pay with the Conrad Butt Slam? Am I fiscally irresponsible for not keeping my cash stored in my colon?

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Master_of_Oldskool said:
To "pay out the ass". Does currency suddenly skyrocket in value if you pay with the Conrad Butt Slam? Am I fiscally irresponsible for not keeping my cash stored in my colon?
I've never heard that statement.

But pay through the nose has an interesting backstory to it.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
kinapuffar said:
Have your cake and eat it is so simple.

You can either have a cake, or you can eat the cake.
If you eat it, you have no cake left.
If you save your cake and just have it in your hand, you can't eat it.

Having your cake and eating it too means you get to eat cake, but you still have a cake left afterwards.

What is so confusing about that?
Everything I know is now a lie...

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
Korolev said:
4) "It's always darkest before dawn". This makes no sense at all - it's equally dark before 1 hour before dawn as it is 4 hours before dawn (at least in most parts of the world). In fact, juuuuuuust before dawn, the sky starts to get a little brighter. Whoever came up with this phrase obviously never saw a sunrise.
This isn't meant to be literal. The idea is that, when things are going bad, they always get really really bad just before they start getting better. Or that, if one doesn't go to sleep, the constant dark of night will seem to get darker for lack of sunlight thus it's darkest right before the sun starts to rise.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Baneat said:
Master_of_Oldskool said:

Care to explain it? I've never understood that one, either.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Haagrum said:
Soxafloppin said:
INB4 "I could care less"
David Mitchell says it far better than I ever could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
dex-dex said:
Kurai Angelo said:
Soxafloppin said:
INB4 "I could care less"

Umad?

Edit: Head over Heels, My head is generally over my heels, regardless of mood.
That's because retards say it wrong.

It's "I couldn't care less."
YES!
anytime I correct people with the phrase " I could care less" telling them it makes no sense
I go into this type of rant
Oh, I could listen to him rant for hours on end! Have yous heard his sausage roll rant? :L
Hmm, I can't really think of any at the top of my head that I could never understand, lest any that already haven't been stated here. Anyone ever hear "yer ma's yer da an' yer da's yer ma!"?

x

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Baneat said:
Master_of_Oldskool said:

Care to explain it? I've never understood that one, either.
It's unsure which place coined the phrase, but there have been multiple places where the forfeit for not paying a debt/taxes was to have your nose slit at the bottom. So, when you can't pay your contract you must pay the higher price of your nose, pay through the nose.

New phrase not understood

Spitting image.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
"Let's get down to brass tacks."

I looked it up. No one is really sure where it came from.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
kickyourass said:
Well there's "same difference" I've never understood what the fuck that's supposed to mean.

I've always had an issue with "A poor workman blames his tools." I sorta get the idea behind it, I just think that there has to be a better way to say it.

Also I know it's been said before, but I feel that anyone who uses the phrase "I could care less" should be slapped.
I always reply "a good workman would never use poor tools". :D

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
Baneat said:
New phrase not understood

Spitting image.
I think that's supposed to be that someone looks so much like another person, that those viewing the two people spit whatever they were drinking in shock.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
_____ Was all but ____

Example: The village was all but destroyed.

Translation: The village was destroyed.

But wait, I thought it was all but destroyed? No?

What is this I don't even....

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Glass Joe the Champ said:
What's with "the whole nine yards"? It takes 10 yards to make a 1st down last time I checked...
During World War One the ammunition belts for the fighters were nine yards long, so the phrase 'The whole nine yards' was a way of saying that they give it their all. They used every last round that they were given.