Pile of wood = art?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Or have any effort put into it.
Art
a : the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects;

Merriam-Webster says its not art. I concur.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
You know I got a stack of old dishes in my sink, think I can get loads of cash if I call art upon it?

Apr 25, 2009
TheLaofKazi said:
Digi7 said:
Did it take any skill to make? Fuck no.

Does it subversively mean anything through the visuals or form? Fuck no.

Is it impressive or unique? Again, fuck no.

It holds none of the three prerequisites for art. As an artist I'm ashamed of this shit.

IT IS NOT ART.
Art doesn't have to take skill to make, have meaning, or be impressive or unique.

In fact, there is some art there where the art of it is in their opposition to those exact prerequisites. And why not?

Art doesn't have to good, or nice, or appealing. It can be complete shit, and that can even be the entire point of it sometimes, turning poor quality and meaninglessness into an aesthetic all itself.

It can be thrown together in a few seconds. It's expression on a medium that affects the senses. And look at how our senses are being affected! We're all here bickering and getting angry over it. Some of us even think it's beautiful. If that's not art I don't know what is.
So you think that ANY human creation is art?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The worst I've ever seen were three Starbucks coffee cups that were ran over and nailed to a plaque.

This absurdity sold for a couple thousand dollars.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
JoshasorousRex said:
Is this art?: I personally don't think so.

I know what I'll do!
1. Call self artist
2. Spit on canvas
3. Call it art
4. Profit
Crap like that is simply a statement. If people pay others to put an installation piece together for them, who's the stupid one? Who should we look down upon, the artist for making a buck by finding a dumbass or the dumbass?

Also, how much spit is on the canvas? Did you just take a big drink of milk, kool-aid or orange juice? Did you have coffee grounds in your mouth?

Some simple ideas that might look like anyone could create them might be more thought out than you'd originally think. I'm not calling you or anyone else out on their respect for art, I'm just saying that people look at it differently.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Traun said:
If games can be art so can this.
It doesn't express itself as art to anyone in this thread.
Doesn't give any of the emotions art should.
If it doesn't look like a duck, quack like a duck, it is not a duck.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Uhh I guess so. If someone called it art and convinced someone to buy it than I guess it's art.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I can sorta see the image in it, but If he's just dragged it away and gone "Hey I found (or made, but saying he maid it) this, This is art. He needs to be shot. That's like alot of Photographers I've seen, They have talent but they just take the "Myspace" photo of themself or a friend inside a house, sap the colour out and BOOM. I r Artist. Although they're not as bad as the "so called" Professional Photographers, One I over-heard at a job convention said to a girl "Are you planning to do any courses for Photography?" "Yes" "Well then you can't become a Professional. You have to know what you're doing, be willing to buy the latest gear and get it either sold or contributed to a Muesuem often? If not then dont bother".
As soon as I heard him say it I went over there and socked him in the head for making her cry. I got a 6 month ban on the place but it was worth it. (I was 17, its a Club. Durp to them, I couldn't get in for another year anyway)

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
When I saw the picture before I read the article, I thought the pile of wood was BLOCKING the art. A lot of art has become something of a joke in the last few decades. If you put Jesus in some sort of odd pose or with something weird, it's art. If you coat a string in zebra blood, it's art. When did art=bullshit? I will take one of my son's drawings of our van over a pile of wood.

Oh and a pile of wood, IN THE WOODS! Really? There might have been a valid argument for art if it had been moved to like a park or something, but it's like he chopped it down, drug it a few feet, got tired and said "Fuck it, the art is going to be in the damn woods." The entire thing is awful.

And I remember a few years back there was an "Anime" exhibit at our modern art museum so I decided to check it out. One of the exhibits was a video of some guy playing "Tomb Raider" and dying over and over. The plaque said that he died to show the futility of life but I think the Black Ops video of the guy dying by the helicopter exploding and the container falling on him was a better representation.

If I can "accidentally" make art, then it isn't art. If a tree falls and some douche moves it and stacks it with other trees in the woods, is it art? NO!

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
TeeBs said:
Traun said:
They are just a pile of 1s and 0s
I resent that statement. I spent a month on a 3d model for a game, and while it might have been converted into 1s and 0s for a game, I don't think it's just a pile of anything. The game art is really art - it's put together deliberately to be visually stimulating, to create some emotion, whether that emotion be the mild amusement you feel while playing Angry Birds or the intense hatred you feel for Moira in Fallout. It's art.
OT: although a pile of wood isn't art to me, I guess it invokes emotion in someone, somewhere.

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
Okay...I realize art is subjective but that's a pile of wood.

I'm reminded of a sketch on the Chaser's wherein they took items from the tip and tried to see which ones successfully made it into an art museum (the majority did), alot of people here have mentioned the word dadaism so I guess I'll go with the crowd on demonising that school of artistic thought.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Escapist community on games as art:

Art is subjective and is designed to show emotion, everyone's definition of art is different and no one can say what is and is not art.

Escapist community's reaction to a piece of Dadaist art:

This is not art lololololololol!
I know saying "this" is frowned upon so...

that

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
I only think that things are art if they're pretty. So primarily paintings, I rarely like sculptures. But I think that most paintings (think Renaissance period) are real art. All the weird "innovative" (I use that word hesitantly) art is bullshit hipsters thinking that they're talented.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Thyunda said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
My mum used to fuck a dude
That's a different way of starting an argument, I must say.
I might be mistaken, I never really studied biology or anything, but I am relatively sure your mom did this at some point as well.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Dadaism is bullshit. But, you can never say that something -isn't- art, because someone will find consider it art. However, upon seeing the photo of the sculpture, I can only think "that's a waste of firewood!"

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
TWRule said:
I do find it unfortunate for anyone to consider the anti-thesis of something part of the definition of the category, but I suppose it can't be helped.

Not to start a needless argument that won't be resolved here, but I'm somewhat skeptical of the idea that art is contingent upon cultural norms. Perhaps a specific cultural interpretation lends itself to how we agree upon an understanding of art (and maybe what we decide to place in a museum), but it seems to me that art itself is something that any human being has the potential to experience equally, regardless of culture. In other words, social (collective) interactions should not be confused with interpersonal (dialogue between two people) interactions as they are fundamentally different in nature. Art, in my view, is interpersonal - not something that merely has to be collectively interpreted and agreed upon. Take that for what you will.
Well, I mean the point is that the anti thesis, as you put it, became the definition of the category, rather than was just considered to be a part of it. I see your point though.

The thing is, while you are uncomfortable with the idea of art being contingent on cultural norms, you have to realise that everything in the world is, and art is just the extreme embodiment of this. Similarly, when you claim that you feel art should be something that people experience equally, again you have to agree that people don't experience anything equally. We have opinions, we read into things differently, and we are culturally conditioned to create opinions that people from other culture will differ from. If we weren't this way, then the superior argument would always win, and there would be no call for political parties because we would all choose a sensible and perfect working order.

I would never demand that you like a piece of art, nor respect or even appreciate it. That is for everyone alone to decide. I still think that this is very much within the definable boundaries of the term art, alongside Painting, Sculpture, Installation, Film, Photography, and Games.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
manaman said:
Thyunda said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
My mum used to fuck a dude
That's a different way of starting an argument, I must say.
I might be mistaken, I never really studied biology or anything, but I am relatively sure your mom did this at some point as well.
Yes, but I don't think I've ever felt the need to tell everybody. From your reply I can tell it's rather self-evident.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
dorkette1990 said:
TeeBs said:
Traun said:
They are just a pile of 1s and 0s
I resent that statement. I spent a month on a 3d model for a game, and while it might have been converted into 1s and 0s for a game, I don't think it's just a pile of anything. The game art is really art - it's put together deliberately to be visually stimulating, to create some emotion, whether that emotion be the mild amusement you feel while playing Angry Birds or the intense hatred you feel for Moira in Fallout. It's art.
OT: although a pile of wood isn't art to me, I guess it invokes emotion in someone, somewhere.
The point I was trying to make is, even if you don't think this is art. I can use insults like "Its just a pile of" or something else to describe any piece.