Pillars of Eternity: your opinion so far?

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
Don Incognito said:
And?

It is their product, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. They made a business decision to change it. That is their right. It sure as shit isn't censorship. Anyone with a lick of sense doesn't care one way or the other what happens to the damned poem, because it isn't our goddamned business.
I don't see it as censorship but rather taking one complaint far too seriously, which to me is very ridiculous and makes me ask how much this company could be trusted to stick to their own guns creatively in the face of any kind of adversity.

And it is my business in the sense that they want my business, they want money for their product. This has made it more unlikely they'll get it.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
hybridial said:
Don Incognito said:
And?

It is their product, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. They made a business decision to change it. That is their right. It sure as shit isn't censorship. Anyone with a lick of sense doesn't care one way or the other what happens to the damned poem, because it isn't our goddamned business.
I don't see it as censorship but rather taking one complaint far too seriously, which to me is very ridiculous and makes me ask how much this company could be trusted to stick to their own guns creatively in the face of any kind of adversity.

And it is my business in the sense that they want my business, they want money for their product. This has made it more unlikely they'll get it.
Fair points, all.

However, you're missing out if you don't get Pillars of Eternity, to be honest. It's quite enjoyable so far. Great art direction, well written, good play mechanics and combat.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
InvisibleJim said:
Let's see what the backers thought... you know, those people who clothed and fed Obsidian's staff and their families for months and made the game possible.
I'm a backer. Why don't you listen to me?

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
DoPo said:
InvisibleJim said:
Let's see what the backers thought... you know, those people who clothed and fed Obsidian's staff and their families for months and made the game possible.

Shush now. You're ruining his narrative. That's unspeakably rude.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
InvisibleJim said:
A developer does not get to break on their principles so shamefully and just *hope* no-one sees it any more.
Why "shamefully"? What are the principles?

And why do my questions keep piling?

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
DoPo said:
InvisibleJim said:
I'm listening. Can you explain why you found the original message on the headstone offensive enough to warrant a public bullying campaign against the developer? There are some fairly strong claims being made that it was deliberately misinterpreted in order to satisfy the weekly outrage quota.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
StreamerDarkly said:
DoPo said:
InvisibleJim said:
I'm listening. Can you explain why you found the original message on the headstone offensive enough to warrant a public bullying campaign against the developer? There are some fairly strong claims being made that it was deliberately misinterpreted in order to satisfy the weekly outrage quota.
I won't speak for DoPo, but as a fellow backer: I don't care. I don't care a whit. I don't care about the poem, I don't care about the complaints about the poem, I don't care about the countercomplaints to the complaints about the poem, I don't care that JE Sawyer & his team changed the poem, and I don't care about the complaints about the poem being changed. I have a hard time understanding anyone who cares about any of it, one way or the other. And I especially can't understand anyone believing "censorship" applies to the debacle.

How about everyone just chill the fuck out and play the game? It's real good!

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
StreamerDarkly said:
DoPo said:
InvisibleJim said:
But first you'd either explain you're putting words in my mouth or quote me on saying that.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
I was like whoa what the hell did they do that people are so enraged over!? So I looked it up and... they removed an off color joke from a tomb stone because someone bitched about it.

Of all the things... this is what the internet is pitching a fit about? Seriously?

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Don Incognito said:
StreamerDarkly said:
DoPo said:
InvisibleJim said:
I won't speak for DoPo, but as a fellow backer: I don't care. I don't care a whit. I don't care about the poem, I don't care about the complaints about the poem, I don't care about the countercomplaints to the complaints about the poem, I don't care that JE Sawyer & his team changed the poem, and I don't care about the complaints about the poem being changed. I have a hard time understanding anyone who cares about any of it, one way or the other. And I especially can't understand anyone believing "censorship" applies to the debacle.

How about everyone just chill the fuck out and play the game? It's real good!
It is a good game, but I don't like it when devs buckle to one asshole on the internet. I'll probably go back to this game when I feel like it, but its gone down on my priority list now when I got like 5 other games I can play instead. Maybe the game won't be as much of a mess performance wise instead.

Still, it upsets me to see one of my favorite developers fold like this.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Pillars of Eternity is a fine game and should be enjoyed by all, much as this controversy free opinion should be enjoyed by all.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Only played the game for a few hours but love it so far. Quick question: is there a way you can drop items? I don't mean put them in your stash, I mean just drop them on the ground. If there is I haven't figured out a way to do it. Thanks!

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
Only played the game for a few hours but love it so far. Quick question: is there a way you can drop items? I don't mean put them in your stash, I mean just drop them on the ground. If there is I haven't figured out a way to do it. Thanks!
Have you tried dragging the icon from your inventory?

Sep 14, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Cool. It's nice to see SocialJusticeGate has taken over a thread asking for opinions about a fucking game. Part of the new, all fun, less political Escapist! Good times.

Sweet. It's nice to see Edgegate has taken over another thread by not contributing more than to prod at others rather than contributing to what they're looking for. Part of the same old, all passive aggressive, more euphoric Escapist! Golden age times.

in all honesty, I do agree that the thread didn't need to turn into another outlet for the tombstone fiasco, we already had one that closed and another one that is openly contributing to it *right now*, so it's unnecessary. Just felt like shitposting a shitpost to add another shitpost I shippose.

anyways

OT: anyone notice any changes/boost/nerfs on your characters/party with the new patch being out? I haven't gotten a chance to hop on yet, just got back from work, but I'm hoping it boosts my party a bit, I'm having fun with the combat, but "normal" is certainly more challenging than I was expecting... random baddies aren't just insta-kills depending on if I'm not paying attention to my party locations, one if not two of the squishier guys will get one hit KO'd before I even realize they were out of position.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Thorn14 said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Have you tried dragging the icon from your inventory?
I'm assuming you mean just drag it outside your inventory screen? Yeah I tried that and it didn't seem to do anything.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Backed this game and am happy with it.

Absolutely loved the level of detail in character creation.
It's all relatively minor stuff, I suppose, but being able to choose culture, social standing and other little aspects just really feeds my hungry inner roleplayer.

Not very far into it as it stands though.

Graphically, very impressed.

The only thing I may change from standard is turning off the 'gib' kills.
They do fill me with nostalgia for BG but some of the explosions don't fit with the attacking weapon.
That said, it was the same in BG so that may have been the intent.
Always did make me chuckle once in a while to attack someone with a dagger and watch the chunks fly, like you'd hit some hitherto unknown pocket of methane in the poor targeted bandit.
Maybe I'll keep it on after all.

Anyway, but an hour in and I'm quite satisfied.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Sweet. It's nice to see Edgegate has taken over another thread by not contributing more than to prod at others rather than contributing to what they're looking for. Part of the same old, all passive aggressive, more euphoric Escapist! Golden age times.

in all honesty, I do agree that the thread didn't need to turn into another outlet for the tombstone fiasco, we already had one that closed and another one that is openly contributing to it *right now*, so it's unnecessary. Just felt like shitposting a shitpost to add another shitpost I shippose.
Conceded. I have altered the offending post.

I do, however, trust that this page justifies the eye rolling that occurred after the hue and cry went up about 'less politics, more games'. Less politics indeed.

"Hey, what do you think of Pillars of Eternity?"
"I know I won't be buying it because of POLITICS WOROROWOWOWROORWOR"

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
hybridial said:
Don Incognito said:
And?

Actually, what they did was they asked the guy if he wanted to change it, because they didn't plan to do so. This is what was posted on their forums by the guy who wrote the original limerick.

"Actually, there was a choice. They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened. I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare. They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to. I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will. They, on the other hand, did the right thing and allowed me to decide the fate of the epitaph. I chose to turn into something that made fun of the *****-bastards that were complaining.

They went above and beyond what I would have expected them to do."

So yeah, they didn't cave. They did what the backer wanted. I'd call the the high road. And besides, what it was changed to was awesome.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBs3YzmVEAMtVFl.jpg:large