Piracy, simply put.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
While i have to pay to fund the artist that produces the work you enjoy. You are a leech. You take from a system and give nothing, and you depend on others to fund that system
I don't hoard money and I don't just burn it. I spend all of it. How am I a leech? Maybe I'm funding some things that benefit you too. Should we all water the same plant?

Red Is Dead

Jan 25, 2012
Long time lurker here. Just registered to say this:

I'll stop downloading games when publishers will remember that demos are a great promotional tool. No, I'm not going to buy a car without giving it a test run first. Same with a game. Demos allow me to make my own idea of the gameplay - It also allows me to guesstimate how long it'll take me to finish the game, and judge how much I'm willing to spend on the product. - I'm not going to spend 60 euros on a 4h long game.

If there's no demo, i'm going to pirate your game. If it's good, i'll buy it. This is non negotiable. Before you tell me about reviews, I'll just point you towards metacritic and laugh.

Obviously, if the game is shitty, i'm not going to keep playing.

I buy games. I've bought quite a lot of games, actually, and will probably buy even more games in the future. I have 200+ games in my Steam library. I also own quite a lot of DVD boxes and even some direct download stuff. I have a current backlog of 20+ games I need to play, because of the goddamn steam winter sales and the HIB/RIB. I just don't feel like being shafted by shoddy publishers who couldn't care less about my experience but oh god do they want my money so much.

Andreson

Jun 18, 2011
Wargamer said:
Now the people who claim that Piracy is wrong, answer me this:

Think of a game that is coming out in the future that you want to buy. Would you buy it if it cost you:
A) £60,000
B) Nothing.

In theory, we should have 0% answering 'Yes' to A, and 100% answering 'Yes' to B. Here, then, is where Piracy comes in.
How about avoiding piracy and just ignore it? If you can't resist your wish then most definitely show disrespect for the author's rights.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Signa said:
if you think that thug didn't deserve to be shot, then you are just completely misinformed about how the world works.
He didn't "deserve" to be shot.

I wouldn't blame the cop for shooting him once. I think the situation could and should have been resolved better. The guy just threatens the other cop, who himself retreats. He did to me not look to be in immediate danger. But the situation could have appeard different live. So I wouldn't blame the cop for one shot.

But he shot him 5 times in 1 second, paused for a beat, the thug turned around, then got shot another 5 times in the back, the last 1 or 2 shots hit him on the ground.

Yeah, I think policemen should be trained to handle a situation like this better than to basically execute a thug, even if that causes risks to themselves.

I usually side with cops, because my brother-in-law is one. There's a lot of "Taser"-vids on youtube and while often it seems quite an overreaction, my sentiment is usually "If the cops engage you - cooperate!"

The first quick notion that popped into my mind when the thug made his move was "Stupid!", but when that cop didn't stop shooting, I couldn't believe it.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
*If you acquire something, that's not yours, has real monetary value but money was not exchanged in its acquisition, what is it you have done?
*What makes you an exception to the rules that govern us all?
*Why do you think people have a problem with your outlook?

Answers:
1. You're a crook.
2. Cause you're a selfish little man with shit for dignity.
3. Cause you make life harder for honest people.

*If I you were to design and copyright something with plans to market it, and I took am identical copy of it and instead distributed it for free, taking both credit and potential earnings away from you, how would you feel?

Answer:
Like you were cheated.

*What is the chance that you fail hard at empathy?
Answer: 100%

People like you deserve nothing. You take what you want and scoff at honest folk, peering down at them through some twisted concept of fairness. YOUR WORSE THEN THIEVES for at least they have the decency to exert themselves in acquiring an item. You hide behind a screen, making glib remarks about a system you know fucking nothing about, claiming it's a victimless crime while year after year the constraints and conditions get harder and harder on people who try to live within the system.

Truly you are by no means the only culprit in this, the developers greed and incapacity to adapt is just as bad, but at least they expend resources and energy trying to thwart you lazy ass sods. You just sit there stewing in your own stink and selfishness watching a ticker pass or loading bar fill, while something you should not have get's handed to you buy another crook. Look at everything you have ever pirated and realise this: You take yourself closer to the level of that shit I scraped off my boot each time you clicked on a torrent or streamed a copyrighted video.

I spit on you.

EDIT: What's more, your possibly the worst kind of pirate. A dishonest one who tries to absolve himself of a crime while simultaneously trying to perch himself on a higher pedestal then the scum who stab people for drug money (heck, at least they're desperate, what's your excuse?). An honest pirate doesn't just admit he pirates, rather he just accepts what he's doing and says to hell with it.

Not only do you try to defend yourself, your not even a proper fucking pirate... again you are reaping the benefits of someone elses effort. Did you rip and comrpess that movie, then upload on site you deemed safe? Did you crack that game and use your own computer to share the file across the web? I doubt it.

I don't condone anything a pirate does, but I know how rank the types who do and you are a bottom feeder at best.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
RubyT said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
While i have to pay to fund the artist that produces the work you enjoy. You are a leech. You take from a system and give nothing, and you depend on others to fund that system
I don't hoard money and I don't just burn it. I spend all of it. How am I a leech? Maybe I'm funding some things that benefit you too. Should we all water the same plant?
Erm as it is you are a leech cus i have to water my plants AND yours while you enjoy both for nothing.

Name one thing i enjoy that i dont pay for. I pay for all public services with taxes, and everything else i buy. Because im not a leech. I say we all water the plants we enjoy, because thats the price of enjoying them. In this system you are a leech. What are you putting into the system of the entertainment industry? Nothing. ANd yet you take and expect work for free. Thus leech. I pay and earn EVERYTHING i enjoy. You cant say that. If you havnt paid or earned what you enjoy then you are leeching or stealing.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
SenorStocks said:
Ragsnstitches said:
This is just laughable. I don't care if I get another warning, you need to get a grip. How can you possibly be so angry?
Because gaming, film, music, animation etc are things I'm passionate towards and I'm well on my way to becoming one of those people who see there hard wroth work demeaned by self-interested twits.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Treat piracy as a rental service that's a lot more reliable than Netflix because you don't have to wait days for the mail in, or streaming something on a net that could easily fail and waste you 10 bucks.

End argument forever.

EDIT: For all you smartfolk.

I don't believe in paying a publisher money, if I don't want the game. I play games I hate to remind myself how awesome the good ones are.

I don't 'want' to pay 60 bucks for a game I'm probably going to return and get half that amount back for returning. If we really want to talk about things that are unethical and theft, we should point at the publishers for removing product material for DLC, and upcharging prices with only throwing us minor details about the game with a 'buy it if you want to know more' clause.

If I pirate a game, and I enjoy that game, I'm probably going to shell out the money to get said game. If I don't, I'll delete it entirely from my hard drive. Call it a pseudo-demo instead of just thievery.

At the end of the day I will never buy a game if I don't enjoy it. I'm not going to support the stupid ideal that 'buy it anyways' makes sense. Publishers need to know when they screwed up, and showering them with cash with no return investment is the complete opposite in message.

Aug 1, 2010
No matter what side you are on, Piracy cannot be put simply.

It is NOT a simple issue!

Why is it that so many people from both sides say "It's stealing. Period" or "It's not stealing is ok. Period"?

Piracy is one of the most complicated moral and legal topics of the modern world.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
SenorStocks said:
Ragsnstitches said:
SenorStocks said:
Ragsnstitches said:
This is just laughable. I don't care if I get another warning, you need to get a grip. How can you possibly be so angry?
Because gaming, film, music, animation etc are things I'm passionate towards and I'm well on my way to becoming one of those people who see there hard wroth work demeaned by self-interested twits.
Well I hope you get used to it soon, because copyright infringement isn't going anywhere. Ever. I also hope you see that it's not always a bad thing either.
You're not some artist who got screwed over by some producer, or a director who lost the rights to his own film. You're not fighting a battle on creative control.

If you pirate all you do is serve yourself through the effort of others.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
SenorStocks said:
Ragsnstitches said:
SenorStocks said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Well I hope you get used to it soon, because copyright infringement isn't going anywhere. Ever. I also hope you see that it's not always a bad thing either.
You're not some artist who got screwed over by some producer, or a director who lost the rights to his own film. You're not fighting a battle on creative control.

If you pirate all you do is serve yourself through the effort of others.
It all comes down to money. There'll always be two sides to it. Simply banning it overall and hunting them down is just plain sad. Let their moral compass take a turn; if it doesn't, that's their problem and no one elses.

Besides, companies don't lose that much off a few pirated copies. I mean look at MW3, one of the worst games ever made (teehee). Nearly billions of dollars were spent on that. They have only a few million pirated. They still have award-winning sales. Why should it matter if a small percentage don't pay if the majority does?

People would say that it's unethical to pirate. I say its unethical to steal on both sides of the spectrum. Stop making crap that I pay my own hard earned money on.

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
I thought I will throw my hat into this debate and see what I get.

Piracy is only acceptable in certain situations, I'm not going to be all righteous about it because I've done it in the passed and sometimes I know that morally I should be ashamed as there was no real reason to do it except for my own person greed.

I have and still do download a game that it is impossible to get now-a-days and I totally agree with doing this and would recommend it to anyone. It helps keep interest in the old games and sometimes even makes a community that allows a upcoming game company to see a cult interest and pick up the license and re-create the game. Even though this only happens once in a million years.

Sometimes the game and DLC/expansions cost to much, I'm un-employed and have been activity looking for a job since September now. As in I will spend about 3-5 hours a day online and out and bout posting applications and CV's to companies. Money is low for myself, with an income of 30-60 pound a week depending on if I can get a day or two of work labouring. When I get home I might want to relax and play the sims, so I buy the main game. I really enjoyed it however its obvious that they leave quite key-features from the previous games so they can stuff it into expansions. I don't have the money to buy all the expansions and it will take me weeks to do so, so I pirate them. Also Notch has agreed with this method slightly telling people who can't afford Minecraft to pirate it and if they ever get the cash then consider buying it. I've done this often with other games to, I didn't have the money that week but didn't have anything else to do so I pirated the game and sometimes I really enjoy it so I buy it as soon as I have money, other times I made the right choice and just delete the game.

In general I personally disagree with pirating, however I find it hard to fight against it when you hear about companies like Blizzard earning 4 billion a year, when I'm struggling to buy 40 bucks wroth of games.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Red Is Dead said:
No, I'm not going to buy a car without giving it a test run first.
If you want to buy a car, and you go to the dealership to ask for a test run but they say no, do you have the right to jump the fence and steal the car to see how it handles? Of course not. They funded and produced and distributed the product themselves and you have no right to decide what they have to do with it.

Grow the fuck up, OP and his defenders; the games industry does not owe you anything. They made the product, they get to decide how and when and for how much it is offered. Do you think you're so special that people simply owe you the charity of a free game? Do you have any idea how a market system works? If you can't afford something or you don't want to buy it then you don't fucking get to have it. All your intellectual smoke and mirrors doesn't disguise the fact that these outright piracy apologetics are based solely on your belief that somehow you are owed the product of another person's labor by virtue of you being too lazy to get the money to buy it or too self-important to see the need to respect basic human decency by not taking for free what others have to pay for.

If you don't like the way the games industry is set up then you could just not buy the games with DRM or the games from publishers you don't like. To oppose the industry but still take the product for free robs you of any shred of moral high ground you could possibly have. People are right to say that piracy is a complicated legal topic but morally your defense just does not hold up.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
What are you putting into the system of the entertainment industry?
I buy the occasional game (last: Skyrim) and TV-box. Oh, I know, you thought pirates never do that.

For Christmas I bought a new 27" screen for 600 bucks. I could have bought 10+ games for that. But then the good folks at HP would've been sad. It's economies of scale that help drive the prices for consumer electronics down. From which you benefit too. I know, my one HP monitor isn't gonna get noticed by the system, but your $50 for game X aren't gonna be felt in the pocket of it's assistant texture artist either.

As I said, I'm not hoarding money out of spite, I contribute everything I earn to this wonderful circle of value creation. What more can I do?

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
ill explain piracy in even simpler terms FREE STUFF. thats it there is no other justification for it. i hate hearing excuses like "oh its not REALLY stealing", "oh im just one person", and " well they should have released a demo"

so OP you just want free stuff with no cost to you and you dont care that it hurts developers.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
evilneko said:
"I wouldn't have bought it or can't afford to buy it anyway" is not an excuse.
Saying it's not an excuse is not a proper argument.

Do you have any reasons why it's not an excuse other than it being against the law?

Because if not I'd ask to you excuse or justify the law.