Pirate Decries Piracy After Piracy Program Pirated

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
Zolcos said:
Article is flat-out lying. That guy isn't "decrying" piracy, he is upset over the fact that his BETA got spread around. Don't you realize that if there were flaws in his untested beta that, say, bricked peoples iPhones, it would make him look like an idiot at best, or a virus writer at worst, and people would parade it around as a reason to not trust unapproved apps. It only makes sense that he would want to finish it before people started using it. Did they miss that he was going to distribute it for FREE?

There is no irony here, this is just part anti-piracy propoganda, part trolling.
I guess we're the only ones who read past the catchy title?

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Zolcos said:
Article is flat-out lying. That guy isn't "decrying" piracy, he is upset over the fact that his BETA got spread around. Don't you realize that if there were flaws in his untested beta that, say, bricked peoples iPhones, it would make him look like an idiot at best, or a virus writer at worst, and people would parade it around as a reason to not trust unapproved apps. It only makes sense that he would want to finish it before people started using it. Did they miss that he was going to distribute it for FREE?

There is no irony here, this is just part anti-piracy propoganda, part trolling.
Actually, I disagree. If you read the quote, what bothers him is obviously that what happened, happened to him, not that people could be hurt by it, hence all the warbling about being disrespected. Logic would dictate that since he was going to release it for free anyway, if god forbid people could get their mitts on a beta copy without his consent, he'd shrug it off, give people a warning that it could damage their products, and carry on developing. What has he really lost? Nothing, he wasn't really going to gain anything by it anyway and now people know it's a pirated release he won't take the reputation hit. But he's massively offended and threatens to cancel the project. It's the concept that really bothers him, as opposed to possible consequences of that concept, and that concept is piracy. QED.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Best headline ever.
Needs more ninjas.
What are you talking about? There are 17 ninjas in that title. You just have to look real close.

The irony is delicious. It tastes like the seven seas and rum. Yarr.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
I totally condone his act. It's bad enough people stealing dubiously honest people, it takes some nerve to steal from totally dishonest people.
It's part of the Piracy Code, arr.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I wonder...back a couple centuries ago, during the heyday of ARR! piracy, were any of those pirates pirated themselves? Like, did one of those British corsairs knock over a Spanish galleon, only to be hit itself on the way home by a rogue Spanish privateer?

Because that would make a great movie.

I in general always get a big kick out of it when criminals get criminalized themselves. In fact, I think that should be the nature of their punishment. The State should do to you what you've done to others. We do that in America with murder, and I think we should do it with rape and assault.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
TheBluesader said:
I wonder...back a couple centuries ago, during the heyday of ARR! piracy, were any of those pirates pirated themselves? Like, did one of those British corsairs knock over a Spanish galleon, only to be hit itself on the way home by a rogue Spanish privateer?

Because that would make a great movie.

I in general always get a big kick out of it when criminals get criminalized themselves. In fact, I think that should be the nature of their punishment. The State should do to you what you've done to others. We do that in America with murder, and I think we should do it with rape and assault.
State sponsored rapists? Eh, maybe not such a great idea.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
From my experience with Mac users, this isn't at all surprising a reaction. They tend to think of themselves at the top of the heap when all they normally tend to do is rub off as self obsessed tossers. Their smug attitudes grate on me faster than console fanboy gamer attitudes.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Singing Gremlin said:
State sponsored rapists? Eh, maybe not such a great idea.
You know what? When I proposed my plan for kick-ass justice, I didn't even think about the logistical consequences. I mean, I'm sure there would be guys who would volunteer to do the raping for the government if the money was good enough. But you're right, I really don't want to live in the same country with that variety of desperate bastard.

Guess it's good I'm not in charge of any Justice Handling...Thing.

At least not until society collapses and I and I alone must become Lord of the Wasteland. Finger's crossed.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
nathan-dts said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Best headline ever.
Needs more ninjas.
Dont you mean pirates? (The war between ninjas and pirates was won by the ninjas decades ago but pirates still deserve there credit)
Everything gets better with more ninjas. BTW, where is Purp these days? He's gone awfully quiet.
Probably skulking in the shadows. Silly, silly ninja. Didn't Khell have a break for a while? (I missed his rants, but hassah today I recieved my next piece of epicness.)

Jobz

May 5, 2008
Oh irony, if only I could bake you into a pastry and have you for a snack.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Hoist by his own petard... loverly! Though I'd bet hard currency that the lesson will be lost on mister "My IQ matches that of a" SaladFork.

-- Steve

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Well. For a company whose only response to my ipod suddenly ceasing to work after less than two years is that I should buy a new one (as replacing the expired battery would cost more than the price of a new ipod), I find it difficult to take Apple's side in any argument of the moral kind.
It is one's right by law to demand several of Apple's products lasting for years beyond what they generally have done so far, even with careful use, so if some people want to reimburse themselves a little, I can't say I have a strong urge to rush to the defense of the poor little multi billion dollar corporation.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
This reminds me of a quote from the old sitcom Porridge

<quote=Fletcher>Gentlemen...
There is a thief among us.

No, I won't explain it to people who never saw Parridge

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Byers said:
Well. For a company whose only response to my ipod suddenly ceasing to work after less than two years is that I should buy a new one (as replacing the expired battery would cost more than the price of a new ipod), I find it difficult to take Apple's side in any argument of the moral kind.
It is one's right by law to demand several of Apple's products lasting for years beyond what they generally have done so far, even with careful use, so if some people want to reimburse themselves a little, I can't say I have a strong urge to rush to the defense of the poor little multi billion dollar corporation.
I'm not too well versed in law, which law would that be?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
... I think I just died laughing, but was laughing so much in the afterlife that they kicked me back to earth...

Now excuse me while I repeat the process a few times. This is one of the most hilarious things I've ever hea::dies::

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Zolcos said:

First of all, give the people around here some more credit. Of course everyone read the article. Second, it still is piracy. It doesn't matter that this program was a free project or not, the early beta was leaked (which is just another word for "stolen") and then distributed against his wishes and he was getting pissy about it. That's textbook piracy. Besides, if the program did screw up someone's iPhone after downloading it, then that's just karma's way of sorting them out for downloading a program that helps them pirate software.

So yes, it ,is piracy, yes, it is very ironic, and YES, there is trolling in this thread, but all of it is coming from you.