Pirate Party Goes to Parliament

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Now if only they'd set up shop in all the other EU countries and attempt to garner additional seats. Become a multi-national political force for change in the EU.

Man, that would really piss off the yanks.

fenixkane

Sep 16, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
That's cool. Maybe they'll start to expand outwards from Sweden. But at least there will be somebody to lead the way.
http://www.pp-international.net/

They already have. It's just most prominent in Sweden. Also remember the German PP got enough votes for government funding, so it is spreading.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It was the obvious outcome from all the hassle that comes out of having a law stealth approving then suing a company whose mode of operation is to loudly announce everything that happens to them to the world. It almost looks like someone tried to pass those anti-piracy laws knowing that they would lead to this outcome. Mmmm, conspiracy theory.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
However, that is by far the best party logo I've ever seen.
It is...in fact, it's my new avatar.

I'm sure they would approve of my unlicensed use and modification of their IP :-D
I can't stop laughing!

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Malygris said:
The Pirate Party took 7.1 percent of the vote in yesterday's election, meaning it will get two of Sweden's 18 available seats.
That is not quite right, they get one seat.

They will however get two seats if that constitution thing comes through wich I hope it doesn't.

It is a pity though since the second person on their list is a total babe!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Good for them, at least the good guys are finally winning for once!
It's a matter of perspective. I can't help but feel you are foolishly placing your trust in people.

While DRM does need to stop, you cannot honestly expect piracy to remain within the boundaries of five years and older media. Take a look around now. We've seen plenty of examples where people are not pirating under just causes, but rather because they are low-life scum.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
To satisfy those who ask:

According to TorrentFreak, Sweden has 20 seats in the European Parliament but until the Lisbon Treaty is ratified, only 18 can vote. The question about how many seats the Pirate Party would have resulted from the confusion surrounding the actual number of seats held by Sweden; since the number is apparently 20, the Pirate Party gets two.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I lol'd really hard, and I love this.

Congrats to them. I'm proud. I hope they can change some stuff for them ^^;

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Good for them, 2 seats in the European parliament may not mean much power (dear god i hope it doesn't if the BNP got in...) however such a large percentage of the swedish vote will make the other parties sit up, listen and hopefully come up with some rational ideas of their own instead of blindly passing through the legislation of the lobbies, with no public consultation.

Now if only we could get politicians everywhere to sit up and take notice and stop propagating many of the lies of the RIAA/MPAA...

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
BobisOnlyBob said:
Britain has unfortunately managed to put through two members of the BNP (British National Party [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party]) to the European Parliament, which is... horrific. They're effectively racism personified.

My country is not MY country when people like that have power...
^ What he said.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
Good for the pirates. I think it'd be really cool to see them get a majority in some country someplace and make some changes.

EmelieSwe

Jun 8, 2009
actuallly they unfortunately only get one seat =( they will only get two if the Lisbon Treaty is ratified by all member states in the EU... and right now it looks like it's up to the irish voters...