Pirate Party Goes to Parliament

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Yaharr! I too voted for ye scurvy pirates.

Fun fact - my parents (49 and 50 respectively) also voted for the Pirate Party.
Even funnier fact, my grandmother who is 90 years old voted for the Pirate Party.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
new_age_reject said:
EDIT:
I have now read their policies and dear god they actually sound appealing :p
Actually, I agree with you there; nothing on their list of policies I disagreed with. They're not so much 'The Pirate Party' as they are the 'Creative Freedom Party'.

Anyway, good on them. I still don't like The Pirate Bay, but these guys actually seem all right.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
My whole family also voted for PP, father mother and brother.
I think my fathed summed it up best, "I couldnt care less about file sharing, but giving private companies the power to monitor our activities scares me."

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Luckily for us the EU parliament is a giant chocolate fireguard. On a related matter what would a euro-skeptic party, like the BNP, do in the european parliament?
Break it up from the inside of course. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXH3-A8zMI]

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
I`m kind of disappointed when i read the title i thought you meant that a pirate party had raided the swedish parliment

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
this is awesome. all the parties in uk are lame. I mean theres a national party for both england, scotland, wales, ireland... its just ridiculous.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
DragunovHUN said:
new_age_reject said:
This group is ridiculous.
Is their policy actually for stealing other peoples stuff or what?
Isn't that what all politicians do nowadays?
I got that xD

maybe you have to watch British news...

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Heh.... getting into the EU parliament was the easy bit. Just promise all voters the right to screw other people's rights over and tell them it's allright to leech, and you got them.

Now comes the tough bit: staying there and actually do somthing before people realize that the promise of free music, games and films is a scam.

/S

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
new_age_reject said:
EDIT:
I have now read their policies and dear god they actually sound appealing :p
Actually, I agree with you there; nothing on their list of policies I disagreed with. They're not so much 'The Pirate Party' as they are the 'Creative Freedom Party'.

Anyway, good on them. I still don't like The Pirate Bay, but these guys actually seem all right.
Yeah they don't seem to be pushing the pirating edge and more the "actually, stop trying to stop us enjoying other peoples creativity"

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Nice, I hope they win. It would be awesome.

I'm from SWEDEN! WEE!

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I have read their missions and I can agree with some of it but their figuring that as long as it is not for commercial gain anything should be able to be copied and distributed is just plain wrong.
If the companies make a product and one person can copy that product and hand it out to all his friends why would anyone of his friends buy that product. That is a great way to kill game/music/movie industries.
I can agree on the time span being shortened but 5 years just is not enough time their are games and records that still sell very well after 5 years. I think I would rather see it going to a system where the product is no longer commercially available in new format(ie not used).
It is not a bad thing that these guys get a voice just hope that they do not get everything reformed the way they want. There has to be middle ground.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
midpipps said:
I have read their missions and I can agree with some of it but their figuring that as long as it is not for commercial gain anything should be able to be copied and distributed is just plain wrong.
If the companies make a product and one person can copy that product and hand it out to all his friends why would anyone of his friends buy that product. That is a great way to kill game/music/movie industries.
I can agree on the time span being shortened but 5 years just is not enough time their are games and records that still sell very well after 5 years. I think I would rather see it going to a system where the product is no longer commercially available in new format(ie not used).
It is not a bad thing that these guys get a voice just hope that they do not get everything reformed the way they want. There has to be middle ground.
I can buy a chair, make a new one and give it to my friends as much as I want, why not a digital anything as well?

Companies will just have to learn to adjust to societies wants instead of trying to fight and control it.

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
AceDiamond said:
Now if only this kind of multiparty system could work in the US.
I wouldn't want it to. Having two parties that agree on everything save current and genuinely controversial issues has kept the US extremely politically stable since the American Civil War despite the alarmingly progressive nature of American culture.

However, that is by far the best party logo I've ever seen.
I could go on about the "winner take all" system in U.S. is mostly a deterrent for the whole faction thing but I'm to lax right now.

Yes it is pretty cool.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Lord_Jaroh said:
midpipps said:
I can buy a chair, make a new one and give it to my friends as much as I want, why not a digital anything as well?

Companies will just have to learn to adjust to societies wants instead of trying to fight and control it.
The thing is you are not making an exact copy of their chair the way you are talking is if you would buy a game and then write your own game and give it to your friends sure the game maybe loosely based on their game and some code may seem similar but it would not be an exact copy. Back to the chair reference you would not be using the chair companies parts and technology to create your chair copy. Therefore your copy may be similar but will not be an exact copy and unless you have the knowledge and finishing skills. Yours may not be as durable or stable.

The thing is game development on a whole is costing more and more and the consumers want to pay less and less or nothing at all. See the issue here. The cost has to come out of somewhere. So either the game companies find ways to protect their product or they loose money until they have to start cutting dev costs and then we get lesser products.