Pirate Party Politician Fights Piracy (Of Her Book)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pirate Party Politician Fights Piracy (Of Her Book)

A prominent member of Germany's Pirate Party has come under fire for issuing DMCA takedown notices to sites hosting unauthorized copies of her new book.

Julia Schramm is a well-known German blogger. She's also on the manifesto [http://www.piratenpartei.de/partei/bundesvorstand/] states, "We demand that copying, providing access to, storing and using creative products for non-commercial purposes must not just be legalized, but actively promoted to improve the public availability of information, knowledge and culture, because this is a prerequisite for the social, technological and economic development of our society." She has in the past referred to the concept of intellectual property as "disgusting" and described copyright holders as the "content mafia."

But she's had a bit of a change of heart with the recent release of her book, Click Me, for which she earned an advance of more than €100,000 ($131,010) from publisher Albrecht Knaus Verlag, a subsidiary of international publishing giant Random House. The book is on sale in bookshops and on Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/Klick-mich-Bekenntnisse-Internet-Exhibitionistin-ebook/dp/B008O8RYRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348166586&sr=8-1&keywords=julia+schramm], but unauthorized - which is to say, pirated - copies of the book are also floating around online. That's not cool with Schramm or her publisher, which has been issuing takedown notices to anyone hosting it.

As for the Pirate Party's stance that copyright in the digital era is an "immoral" tool used to create artificial scarcity, she told German site Welt [http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article109312559/Mit-feindlicher-Netz-Reaktion-habe-ich-gerechnet.html], "There will always be free texts from me on my blog, and there are also book excerpts." Click Me will be available for free in ten years when she gets the copyright back, she added.

I suppose there are worse things to abandon your principles for than a six-figure advance - you can have somebody killed for about a tenth of what Schramm got for her book, after all - and she did acknowledge, after the controversy erupted in Germany, that she dropped the ball a bit. "In retrospect, of course, I could have negotiated more aggressively with the publisher on some aspects," she allowed. "I was just very glad to be able to fulfill my dream to write a book."

Sources: TorrentFreak [http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/a-856468.html]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I always wonder why in the age of instant information people think they can get away with such obvious hypocrisy. I think it is probably down to the human nature of people getting all worked up about something, and then forgetting it a week later to get worked up about something else. People can get away with it simply because people move onto the next big thing.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
This whole article is so funny I can't stop smiling. You would think someone that is termed as a "prominent member" of a piracy party would think more about their actions before hand. This is just pathetic.

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
I think I'll put some of this irony in the fridge for later, it's so damn delicious I can't quite manage all of it right now.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then its a game, find the eye. Or get ur arse an eyepatch and be a real pirate matey.
Seriously, hypocrites. Its ok until someone pirates my stuff, then its wrong? Double standard? Gah... Get bent woman, you've no principles worth noting and no integrity. At least System of a Down and Nine Inch Nails actively supported pirating an album of theirs because they didn't agree with the recording industry practices.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Let me get this straight......
This Pirate Party wants to not just allow, but ENCOURAGE everyone to copy anything they want. They think IP's are horrible and copyright is an evil worthy of breaking the tinfoil hats out for?

Did I fall into a parallel anti-Earth or something? Do they even know why these things exist in the first place? Do they even know how the world works????

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
And at the same time the wife of our former head of state(who got run put of office because he didn't understand the concept of "freedom of the press") posts her book for free online. Must be opposite day

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oh man, this is hilarious. I hope no one ever takes her seriously ever again.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Strange how people seem to stop thinking this sort of thing is ok when they're the ones being affected by it, isn't it?

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
teebeeohh said:
And at the same time the wife of our former head of state(who got run put of office because he didn't understand the concept of "freedom of the press") posts her book for free online. Must be opposite day
Well everything, on a political level, is wierd in our country.

Aug 25, 2009
This doesn't surprise me in the least.

because if there's one thing I expect it's massive hypocrisy, and if there's one group I expect it from...

Well it wouldn't be people who pirate things but I'd hardly ever accuse them of having morals or principles or anything.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
She is still technically a pirate.

After all, she put aside her morality and principles for self serving greed like any other pirate.

/flameshield on

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Reminds me of the time I started writing a book on a forum where everyone could read it and a year later began rewriting it so that I could actually make a profit on it, like in a per sale royalty, not a ton of money upfront.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

Sorry, when I first read the title, I was just thinking to myself "Please all that is Holy let this be what I think it is!"

For once, I am not disappointed.

I'm not sure if this bit of news has therefore reduced or restored some of my faith in humanity.