Pirates Love Game of Thrones

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Don't you have to pay for cable? In which case I'm pretty sure the point isn't for them to make it freely available to everyone else too.

On another note, the Big Bang Theory is fun to watch but people seriously go to the effort to pirate it? What's the point?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Don't you have to pay for cable? In which case I'm pretty sure the point isn't for them to make it freely available to everyone else too.

On another note, the Big Bang Theory is fun to watch but people seriously go to the effort to pirate it? What's the point?
I am sure there are many people who "pirate" a show just to get it in a convenient commercial-free format. Naturally, the commercial-free bit doesn't apply to shows like Dexter or Game of Thrones, but the convenience still does.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I feel like the only one that despises the show. To me it's nothing more than gratuitous sex and shallow pretense to "adult." It's what a brooding sixteen-year-old would write if you asked them to come up with a mature show.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
I'm one of the swashbucklers, I'm afraid. I do get cable, but to get that show it would cost me *another* $90, in addition to the $50 I already pay for cable. Upgrade to digital tier, rent box allowing me to get digital tier, pay for HBO addon-- $90. Grand total, $140. For *one show*. I'd have to be out of my gourd, or impressively wealthy, to do that.

I gladly buy the DVD sets so my husband can watch the show too (kind of hard when I watch in crap quality on a laptop), but I'm not paying another $90/mo for it. As it is, the cable company gags my download speed, so it takes about 4 hours to download, assuming the file doesn't get corrupted somewhere in between. They should be happy I'm that interested, and not treating it like I did Doctor Who and just give up when it jumped to a digital-only channel.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Really? No one? Alright, I'll do it :D

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I might have to do that, I don't really have the choice of watching T.V when I want to and the Episodes arnt on a "catch up" service here.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
evilneko said:
BrotherRool said:

I am sure there are many people who "pirate" a show just to get it in a convenient commercial-free format. Naturally, the commercial-free bit doesn't apply to shows like Dexter or Game of Thrones, but the convenience still does.
That's still pirating because the point of advertising is you're basically paying for the show by consenting to watch the adverts.
If it's the 'whats the point thing' that's a jab at the Big Bang Theory

My jibe at the Big Bang Theory is that I don't feel it's good enough to watch if it's not just on TV anyway :D

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
On behalf of the rest of Australia, I'd like to take the time to apologize for my criminal brethren, who seem to forget that

it's not 1788, we can't just take what we want when we want it, AND LEARN TO TELL THE COMPANIES WHY YOU'RE PISSED OFF WITH THEM, RATHER THAN JUST DOWNLOADING IT, YOU IDIOTS.

Oh boy that felt good.

Anyway, the books are better.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
In Britain, the only legal way I can watch Game of Thrones is via Sky broadcasting. I refuse to subscribe to anything owned by Rupert Murdoch and News Corporation (effectively, in any case), thus piracy is my only option to watch the show I want to watch above all others.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Puzzlenaut said:
In Britain, the only legal way I can watch Game of Thrones is via Sky broadcasting. I refuse to subscribe to anything owned by Rupert Murdoch and News Corporation (effectively, in any case), thus piracy is my only option to watch the show I want to watch above all others.
"I don't like the legal method of obtaining things for arbitrary reasons, therefore copyright violation is absolutely fine".

Yeah that doesn't sound so good when you rephrase it, does it?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
On behalf of the rest of Australia, I'd like to take the time to apologize for my criminal brethren, who seem to forget that

it's not 1788, we can't just take what we want when we want it, AND LEARN TO TELL THE COMPANIES WHY YOU'RE PISSED OFF WITH THEM, RATHER THAN JUST DOWNLOADING IT, YOU IDIOTS.

Oh boy that felt good.

Anyway, the books are better.
They know why we take issue, that's why the delay is only a week rather than a few months like it used to be. Another example of piracy forcing beneficial change.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I didn't even know you could watch GoT down here in Australia without having to pirate it...

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Puzzlenaut said:
"I don't like the legal method of obtaining things for arbitrary reasons, therefore copyright violation is absolutely fine".

Yeah that doesn't sound so good when you rephrase it, does it?
Nope, that sounds absolutely fine to me.

Not giving some much as a penny to the Murdochs is genuinely a moral issue for me, and therefore copyright violation is acceptable in light of the fact that there are no other channels by which I can access the show legally at all, thus piracy is my only option.

Of course, I could just not watch the show at all, but I love the books and hold copyright laws in contempt anyway.

RamaTheVoice

Apr 18, 2012
GoT episodes air in France right after they do in the U.S. But get this: they only air on a channel which is exclusive to an INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER's (namely Orange) TV + internet package. This means that if you want to watch GoT on TV without waiting for the DVD/Blu-Ray release, you have to have Orange (who is notoriously more expensive than the competition) as your ISP, and even then, your area has to be equipped to deliver enough bandwidth to be eligible for the TV option (my parents, who live in an affluent suburb, can't have it because the conservative mayor won't shell out the cash for better infrastructure).

As a result, everyone I know who watches GoT pirates it, and most of them buy the DVDs when they're released afterwards.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Same as a fair few here. Pirate the series when it comes out, then get it on BR when released. Hell, we get the show about two or three months after the US. I'm not even sure if the second season has started in New Zealand yet. It's bullshit.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I never watched them live on a monday night... Instead I watched them any time of the following week on SkyGo on teh Xbox.

Genius.

Makes me wonder why people bother to pirate sometimes. I'm talking about the ones in my situation at least, I could understand if you can't afford Sky and live outside of the USA.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I just buy the DVDs o.o, y'know Lannister pays his debts for everything else there's Mastercard, all that jazz.

I can follow the reasoning of pirating (Dont have/want sky, don't want to pay for HBO, etc, etc) but we gotta give them some money along the line or they just won't make any more :-/

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Yep, I pirated the fuck out of both season 1 and 2. I don't pay for the only channel that shows it so I had no other way to see it. Still gonna buy the boxsets though.

Related:

I can't stop hearing this when I see the intro now...